Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is Contax 28/2 really worth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So decide yourself, is it a total dog or not?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please decide yourself. My purchase depends on your decision Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no experience with 2/28 --- I was trying to get 2/28 I was outbid -- auction ended on 206 GBP which is PERFECT price for 2/28
no matter...that's life

no-x I'll give you some examples of Contax 2.8/28 MM version on EOS 30D body if you wish...

let me know -

I have to develop them -- some of them are in CR2 raw format...

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Please decide yourself. My purchase depends on your decision

when you get a new lens you take a shot of the supermarket from your window and that tell you if it is a keeper Laughing
you have already two 28mm & seven 35mm Shocked
why do you need another lens Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'm not a collector, I'm trying to find some lenses, which will satisfy me in terms of low CA and sharpness. So I'm buing lenses, which are considered to be good, than I try them and if I'm not satisfied, I sell them (I already sold more lenses, than I currently own). Of course, the more expensive ones are hard to sell without loss, so I keep them, until the right occasion.

The reason of more 35mm lenses was the test - I hoped it could help not only to me, but to other users, too. I planned similar test of 50mm, but now I see it has no sense.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
The reason of more 35mm lenses was the test - I hoped it could help not only to me, but to other users, too

Your tests are very helpful, I like them
but they can't show everything,
you have to use a lens to appreciate it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used each lens at least for one afternoon (as I remember, I posted here real world pictures taken by Tak 35/2, S-M-C 35/3.5, CZJ 35/2.4, Vivitar 28/2.8, 28/1.9, 35/1.9 nad many others) , but always found out, that it's results corresponds to the tests. I simply dislike CA and any lens, which embodies it, can't make me happy...

Anyway, back to topic - are there any hi-res samples taken by the Zeiss 25/2.8? I can't find any Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Anyway, back to topic - are there any hi-res samples taken by the Zeiss 25/2.8? I can't find any Sad

Yes, I have made several photos with it.
I will try to find them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I remember some you took at a street Theater performance that are very nice.
Maybe I remember incorrectly.
That whole series was really great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Yes, I have made several photos with it.
I will try to find them.

I look forward to them Smile Are they full-frame, or APS-C?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the thread I remember

http://forum.mflenses.com/brixellum-2008-part-five-the-theatre-t8197.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good memory Andy! Smile

Yes there are some Distagon 25 pictures in there, mixed with others - when you browse the full sizes you will find the indication of what lens below each picture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memorable pictures Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Smile

Seeing them again has reminded me of what I love most in the 25 (aside from the terrific sharpness); that is, the fact that on the 5D it gets really wide but still detailed (much more detailed than my 20mm and 18mm lenses) and when you stop down enough, and when you enlarge big in replay, WHOOOMP you have the whole world there in virtually infinite focus and (depending on camera resolution) also virtually infinite detail. Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, thanks for the compliments. I wonder how many would like C/Y to Sigma conversions?

M42 conversions would be best. Only the 50's have too large of glass for M42. Possibly the CZ 35/1.4, too.

Andy, I just have Zuiko 21/2 and 50/1.2, nothing in between. Those are ED glass. I have not heard or seen the 24 and 28 and 35 as being as great, but then all of the Zuikos can give a rich color if everything is right. I think CZ is easier to shoot. I think Zuiko needs skillful lighting to achieve the "Japanese Leica" result, but there is a lot of value for the money as far as rich color in not so great Zuikos. As far as really pro saturated 3D results Orio would like, as with CZ only a few Zuiko lenses really get there and then Zeiss are easier to shoot. If I want to get the most from life I should probably just shoot the CZ 28/2 and 35/1.4 but I will fool around a little more anyway. Zuikos also have creamy bokeh.

I think CZ 28/2.8 Distagon is extremely sharp and finely graded in color but these 28/2 Hollywood Distagon examples are even better in sharpness and then they have graceful decay of focus that looks sharp when it's not. Very cinematic indeed. I have one but I haven't adapted it yet.

I was elsewhere looking at modern lenses. Just as I thought, circular bokeh, noisy bokeh, garish skin texture. Old manual lenses only! New lenses can work but it is so much easier, more productive, with lenses like those we are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow these high MTF lenses are kinder to skin than modern lenses. Perhaps it is the modern aim for contrast rather than resolution that causes a certain garish result quite often with skin texture where skin is not baby soft and perfect. It's a mystery how sharp manual lenses can be and still be kinder to people.

http://forum.mflenses.com/brixellum-2008-part-five-the-theatre-t8197.html

So that is CZ 25mm Distagon, allegedly not as sharp in MTF(in one sample?), but the classic Zeiss appearance of sharp is there, and quite a lot of subtle gradations of tone on skin, too, but kind to skin.

Spherical lenses tend to be better for bokeh, except for Rodagon aspherical. There is another mystery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDodds wrote:

So that is CZ 25mm Distagon, allegedly not as sharp in MTF(in one sample?),

Judge for yourself, Bob Wink

whole image resized:

100% crop

I just picked one image at random from the above series. This one is 200 ISO and hand-held. I made landscapes with this lens, that are even sharper than this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Could I ask you for a crop of right upper corner of this picture, please?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Thanks! Could I ask you for a crop of right upper corner of this picture, please?

here it is Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Distagon 25s are the MM version.
(yes I have a spare - important lens) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other 100% details around the frame:

centre-top:

top left corner:

right edge:

And that's Carl Zeiss at wide angle, gentlemen.
Not exactly like Canon L zooms, eh ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for helping me with my decision Wink