Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one of these Tamron SP?
Tamron SP 3.8-5.4/60-300 MC 23A
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Tamron SP 3.5/70-210 CF Macro MC 19AH
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have the chance of getting either of these lenses:

- Tamron SP 3.8-5.4/60-300 MC 23A (around 170€)
- Tamron SP 3.5/70-210 CF Macro MC 19AH (around 130€)

Regardless the price, which one is the better of the two? If you had to pick up just one of them, which one would it be? (and why if possible, please)

Regards,

Fer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP Reply with quote

fernanrl wrote:
Hi guys,

I have the chance of getting either of these lenses:

- Tamron SP 3.5/70-210 CF Macro MC 19AH (around 130€)

Regardless the price, which one is the better of the two? If you had to pick up just one of them, which one would it be? (and why if possible, please)

Regards,

Fer

The first is better @211-300mm and @60-69mm range Smile.

I'd buy the latter one, if there isn't need for more range...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP Reply with quote

fernanrl wrote:

I have it and it is a winner But 170 € isn't cheap ... I got mine for 50€ Confused

That lens is heavy and not very discrete. Last time I used it, I heard someone behind me telling his friend "It's not a zoom anymore, it's a telescope" Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the second as it is one of the best tele zooms on that have been produced to date (according to Adaptall-2 site Smile) but these prices ar really high! I'm watching them as I have seen one and this week one 60-300 ended like 80 USD and I've offered very low (25GBP Embarassed) for a SP 70-200/3.5 which has gone for 40 GBP. Including the shipping expenses these are still very cheaper than your prices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you are right...they are not cheap Crying or Very sad but it is because I found them today while buying a filter for a lens in a local shop.

Obvioulsy, if someone in this forum wants to "ged rid" of one of this babies I am here to foster them hehehe...but in the mean time I have to see what other options are for when the chance arises.

Thanks and I look forward to your replies,

Fer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wait and try to get cheap or cheaper...
The lenses are valuable lenses because they are really good...
If you compare them to new lenses you have to pay a lot to get close...
Al those cheap telezooms you find new for around 300€ are so bad
at least what I have seen Smile

But if you need or want it FAST and if it is in very fine condition.. mint like a new almost then why not if needed to get it soon...

If you have time then... hang in ebay and wait... Smile
My friend bought one 70-210 3.5 for 100€ like a new and I think it's ok
price at least in such condition.

Last edited by tanheis on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernanrl wrote:
Obvioulsy, if someone in this forum wants to "ged rid" of one of this babies

I think our member Flor27 has (had?) one for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not in a rush to buy. I can wait. It is just that this is one of my zooms to get sooner or later. If there is one available, fine. If not, I will wait until something comes up. I will see that of Flor27 (?) and see what has got to say.

In the mean time I will keep watching this space. Thanks friends,

Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one 60-300 in our local auctions...
Well if it goes for 80eur would you be interested?
I just asked discount and told interest.. nothing else Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Tanheis,

Jieffe just made me feel scared if it is so big...is there a big difference in between the two? (size and quality)=

Regards,

Fer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can found samples with both lenses here.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/

Both lenses can be lot cheaper, if you have time wait a bit for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look similar in weight and length:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/23A.html
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/19AH.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them both. The shorter one is very heavy and less easy to use than the 60-300. A few month ago i bought a 60-300 with a novoflex focussing system. That works very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about quality? I know they both have different range, but which one is better optically speaking?

I am not in a rush to buy, so I can wait until something nice (and cheap) turns up. I bought a Vivitar Kiron 70-210 and I have learnt my lesson...being patient pays off and I am decided to wait.

Looking forward to hearing from you, regards,

Fer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult to decide between those two lenses.
Now, that you force me ( Wink ), I'd choose the 70-210, because
1) it is faster and
2) I do not shoot with a long tele often.

But that does not mean that the 60-300 is worse, by no means!
If you need that longer focal range, go for it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP Reply with quote

fernanrl wrote:

This one looks overpriced to me. I've got mine (now waiting for EOS-Adaptall adapter, which is still in the mail somewhere) for $47+shipping. The lens looks barely used. Of course, depending on where you are, your mileage may vary, but not 4 times more!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernanrl wrote:
And what about quality?

Here we go ... Tamron 60-300 at 300mm, f5.6, iso 400 (normal sharpen in gimp):

100% crop :

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both very different lenses.
I have and use both.
The 19AH has a constant f3.5 which is good
The 60-300 has that great range.
What do you want?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great sharpness and colors! I am glad I have 60-300! I will post my shots once the EOS adapter arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I want?...The best of both worlds, of course Laughing

I dont know, I just want to find which one is better optically. If I have constatn 3,8 in the 70-200 but optically is worse, I´d rather have a longer zoom (regardles it been bigger and maybe heavier). On the other hand, if the 60-300 is better in optics, I could sacrifice that constant 3,8.

So you guys, from your experience, help me to choose...but if the difference are not so big or both are very very similar I ´d rather go for a longer zoom like that 60-300...

Thanks,

Fer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both utterly excellent, but if you choose only the 60-300 you will soon wish you had a lighter and shorter one as an option. The 60-300 has the great disadvantage that even if you're using it as a 60 you still have the mass of a 300 waving around on the front of the camera.
You have to constantly remember to treat it like a 300 as far as shutter speed goes - most of the time it's not a real problem but it does ruin the odd shot when you forget.
Been there, got the T-shirt. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
They are both utterly excellent, but if you choose only the 60-300 you will soon wish you had a lighter and shorter one as an option. The 60-300 has the great disadvantage that even if you're using it as a 60 you still have the mass of a 300 waving around on the front of the camera.
You have to constantly remember to treat it like a 300 as far as shutter speed goes - most of the time it's not a real problem but it does ruin the odd shot when you forget.
Been there, got the T-shirt. Smile

I'm behind this too. I have the 60-300 but I only use it when I need the 300 end, otherwise the SP35-80 or 28-80 is far more practicable.

I voted for the 19AH, but on reputation only - I don't have one. How big and heavy is it compared to the 60-300?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How big and heavy is it compared to the 60-300?

Same size, perhaps heavier than 60-300.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to confusion ... why don't you look at the 80-210 (not SP) ?

250 gr lighter, a tad shorter and good performances too (I have it).

Sells for next to nothing on the Bay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Quote:
How big and heavy is it compared to the 60-300?

Same size, perhaps heavier than 60-300.

I agree there isn't a lot in it.
Both are excellent performers far far better than the non SP version 80-210mm, but the 19AH has f3.5 at 210mm! Only consideration is you can get a 103 for no money, it's a good lens but it isn't SP. The earlier 03 is one of the rare duff Tamron lenses.
Also consider the SP 35-210 a great lens with such a usable range!