Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Velvia 50 tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Velvia 50 tips Reply with quote

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=9704

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting with Velvia is not different than with any other slide film, in that you have to care about the highlights.

Most people, me included, like to shoot slide film with some underexposure, because this deepens natural colours and give a nicer result once projected on a wall screen (which is the natural destination of the slides).
This of course is a bit of "rough reasoning", because there is NOT REALLY underexposure... only a different reading. And I explain why I say this:

Most people (me included, when I am on vacation) guiltily shoots slides like if it was negative film, i.e., they trust the centre weighted meter of their camera. At the most, if they are a bit evoluted, they point the camera to a point they consider meaningful, then recompose.

Needless to say, this is a risky way to shoot slides. First you need a really good working centre weighted meter in your camera, and not all cameras have that (some are quite rough, especially in the old cameras that were build for mostly negative film use, maybe even B&W)

The REAL way to shoot slides would be to meter different parts of the image with a semispot meter then make the average. Only with this method, you have the clear idea where your shadows and highlights fall.
A comparison with a reading made with incident light, if possible, wouldn't hurt at all.

From this type of reading, the experienced photographer never misses one exposure.

And this is THE way to shoot not just Velvia, but all other slides.
When you read "underexpose slides" is really a rough reasoning, because it implies to do it from a centre weighted reading which may or may not be correct. Let's say that doing this will give you a slight margin of error more than shooting dead on a centre weighted reading. But if the centre reading is wrong, your underexposed slide will look remedyless grey and dull.

By the way, doing the underexposure trick on the Velvia with the purpose of saturating colours, makes really no sense, because the colors are already saturated. On the contrary, a slight overexposure might mitigate the oversaturation of the Velvia, to a nicer result with things like buildings or portraits which are not suited for the "Velvia look". But again, this is still rough reasoning. The real way is always to meter the scene selectively and make averages.

-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this vital information!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could come and spend a day with you on one of your outings Orio! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I wish I could come and spend a day with you on one of your outings Orio! Very Happy

I would also love to spend a day photographing together, Peter!
My tight budget at the moment does not allow for international trips. But if you would like to come here we could spend a Saturday or Sunday together in some nice city in the North. Autumn/Winter are the best periods to photograph cities because the leaf-less trees let see more of the buildings (and I know you are interested in the architecture).
For this winter I have planned one-day trips to Venice, Mantova, Verona, Cremona, Vicenza and to other smaller northern or north-central locations.
Flek 20 is mandatory part of equipment of course! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely need to meet in 2009/2010!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:

I would also love to spend a day photographing together, Peter!
My tight budget at the moment does not allow for international trips. But if you would like to come here we could spend a Saturday or Sunday together in some nice city in the North.

Wow, what a fantastic offer! Thankyou! Sadly I can't commit to anything right now, Orio - I'll PM you tomorrow to explain. But next year ..... Smile