Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Vis IR portrait
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you should have run across my testing of the older, full metal 5.6/80mm EL-Nikkor and the proof that it has hardly any focus shift - why a UA Tak 85mm then? Wink Wink
[it has a special front thread, but I had filter adapter rings made for that...]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I search for samples with the U-A 300, I only found one shot, almost blown in the hightlight (VIS), and very few with the 85/4.5. And almost nothing on UV on film. So I have to do my own information... And I'll share it, because its the reason why I'm posting on forums.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Then you should have run across my testing of the older, full metal 5.6/80mm EL-Nikkor and the proof that it has hardly any focus shift - why a UA Tak 85mm then? Wink Wink
[it has a special front thread, but I had filter adapter rings made for that...]

I did indeed see it though for quite some time I was only finding references to the X lens. I've not seen any for sale so I can't be sure but I suspect the El-Nikkor is also probably out of my very limited price range - and unlike the Tak it wouldn't fit easily on my cameras (I use Pentax). If my initial experiment show my camera is practical for taking UV shots I may look into dedicated lenses etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL-Nikkor lenses are enlarger ones, anything above 50-60mm should be usable with infinity on Pentax (and they are commonly in M39 mount)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these EL-Nikkors are cheap to find. Add a focusing helicoid and a M42-M39 ring to mount the lens and you're all set to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
If I search for samples with the U-A 300, I only found one shot, almost blown in the hightlight (VIS), and very few with the 85/4.5. And almost nothing on UV on film. So I have to do my own information... And I'll share it, because its the reason why I'm posting on forums.

Although it had been mentioned somewhere that it works till 320nm, I honestly doubt that from my own experience. I would rather say, that it works well for VIS-IR.

Don't forget that UV imaging is massively influenced by lack of contrast due to Raleigh effects over longer distances!!

Here a few results using that UA Tak 300mm lens:

1) Windeck Castle:

VIS:

UV (soft ans unsharp):

VIS-UV differential:

2) Wachenburg Castle:

VIS (very sharp + contrasty):

UV (soft and mushy):

VIS-UV differential (showing focus shift!)

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice place!
(sorry, I know I am completely O.T.) Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is the place where every year all the fraternities meet and our whole city afterwards is full of drunks (I'm away usually for these days...). But has a beautiful view to the West up to France!

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wachenburg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yes, these EL-Nikkors are cheap to find. Add a focusing helicoid and a M42-M39 ring to mount the lens and you're all set to go.

Currently there's one on e-bay for £99 but that may not be the all metal version. There are a couple of cheaper ones in the states but Customs duties are likely to add significantly to those (especially with the typical £8 handling fee!)
But I'll keep my eye's open for one as I guess it'll probably be easier focusing than my existing possibilities.

Klaus would the El-Nikkors be usable with 25mm filters? (These should mount OK on my existing enlarger lenses)

BTW the differential photos are interesting but I think the flower shots on your blog show more of the benefits in having UV photography available in the armory Smile

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
you could ask our member Calvin here from Hongkong about cheaper helicoids.

25mm filters would fit as they are large enough, but different mounts would need to be made for it. (I have "standardized" all my filters to 52mm)

Differential shots are not easy to read, I have to admit, but they show quite a bit of details which would stay otherwise invisible.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Mike,
you could ask our member Calvin here from Hongkong about cheaper helicoids.

25mm filters would fit as they are large enough, but different mounts would need to be made for it. (I have "standardized" all my filters to 52mm)

Differential shots are not easy to read, I have to admit, but they show quite a bit of details which would stay otherwise invisible.

I've managed to get a reasonable 80mm El-Nikkors (it's even the all metal version) now I just have to wait for the filters...

To begin with I'll try out using my bellows, though if cheap helicoids are available I'm sure they'll be much easier once I know what length suits my subjects Smile

Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an adaptor to that rare 34.5mm filter thread mount this lens has? I had a few more made...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Do you have an adaptor to that rare 34.5mm filter thread mount this lens has? I had a few more made...

No, but my filters are coming without screw threads (or any mounting) so I'm going to try the DIY approach to make a push on one. A lens cap would be useful too whilst I'm at it...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a way to focus in visible and then attach the filter, as this has proven to be a difficult task. I use a Nikon AF-1 gel filter holder for that with the filter mounted to the front part, as it allows the front to flip down/up. The rear part is mounted to the lens in use (w. add. adaptor rings if needed). Nikon AF-1 has 52mm rear and 60mm front filter threads.

This shows the Baader-U filter (2" version) mounted inside.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I now have tested 4 "normal" lenses (I mean not designed for UV) and all of them transmit UV, so there is no need to buy a UV dedicated lens if it's not your job Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested hundreds of lenses for UV and a lot do transmit some UV, so no news on that Wink UV transmission is just one of many aspects making a lens suitable for UV work...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally had a chance for a quick play around. All hand held (as I've yet to sort the filter mount) so no more than a proof of concept.

My bellows won't focus beyond about 20cm with the El Nikkor - fine for flowers but the evening sunlight wasn't on them, so I couldn't get anything to show. Is a std flash practical as a source of UV?

Changing to a medium extension tube brought infinity to a recognizable blur (OOF but not extremely so). With this I managed to snap a neighbor's car which could at least be made out as a car.

Now I have to get round to doing a little DIY...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've tried IR shooting with Canon 40D and the results are quite poor. Also shutter speeds are slooooow so hand holding is not an option.

Canon 300D or Nikon D50 are better options as the cut filter is nowhere near as strong.

Yes unconverted cameras have very different results. By converted I mean that the internal IR cut filter is removed and either left out or replaced with other filters that allow IR pass. My 40D is converted so it's a fine IR camera.

Jules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
EL-Nikkor lenses are enlarger ones, anything above 50-60mm should be usable with infinity on Pentax (and they are commonly in M39 mount)

Yes they are great I use a 135mm el Nikkor on a bellows on my 40D and it is excellent!