Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultrawide with minimal distortion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have monolights, so flash wont be a problem. The reason I wanted something relatively cheap is this would really be a sort of backup lens when I dont have enough room to use something a little less wide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, pretending cheap and minimum distortion together in a superwide lens is like pretending to date Jessica Alba for dinner and take her to McDonalds.
Quality comes at a price, this is true for all lenses, but especially for superwides.
The best deal for price and low distortion is the Flek 4/20 I told you about.
You can surely find cheaper superwides, but you'll get cheap results from them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
does the Flek mount flange-to-film distance allow it to be adapted for use on a Nikon, while still allowing focus to infinity?

No.

Quote:
Can the Flek be adapted to Nikon F mount and retain infinity focus?

I guess yes.
But beware of operators, I bought a Nikon-converted Flek 2.8/20 once, it was so poorly executed by a lens butcher (a professionist...) that it did focus beyond infinity, becoming practically useless because with a 20mm, if you don't have liveview (and at the time it did not exist), it is impossible to properly focus a 20mm lens to infinity through a DSLR viewfinder if you can not rely on the infinity stop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Orio. Any idea how your answers to my posted questions ended up on my post? Forum software glitch? Never seen that before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
That's interesting, Orio. Any idea how your answers to my posted questions ended up on my post? Forum software glitch? Never seen that before.

LOL, I just saw, have no idea either!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, very weird!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time wedding photographer (former), the answer to large groups is always using steps or risers (putting people on multiple levels) with faces in the back positioned between the heads of people in the front. For venues that don't have steps/levels to work with... Honestly, you could build some nice 6" & 12" risers that would allow you to do really nice groupings for a heck of a lot less than the lens you are asking for would probably cost... and would be better than stringing people out wider (allowing you to make their faces larger than that arrangement also, which is the main thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Probably yes, but I don't get it why you would go through the effort of modifying it.

There are 20mm prime lenses in native Nikon F-mount which cost the same or slightly less, and deliver better quality than the Flektogon (20mm f/2.8 Ai-S and 20mm f/2.8 AF-D to name only Nikon 1st party lenses).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Probably yes, but I don't get it why you would go through the effort of modifying it.

There are 20mm prime lenses in native Nikon F-mount which cost the same or slightly less, and deliver better quality than the Flektogon (20mm f/2.8 Ai-S and 20mm f/2.8 AF-D to name only Nikon 1st party lenses).