Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two 24 mm Nikkors - which one should I keep?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Two 24 mm Nikkors - which one should I keep? Reply with quote

Hello,

I finally received my Nikkor-N.C 24/2.8, which I bought from eBay two weeks ago. The lens is professionally AI-converted. A few spots on the lens coating and a few cleaning marks, nothing serious.

Here´s the pair.

You can see the different colour of the lens coating. I had thought, that the older NC one would be bigger, but they are the same size, the AI-S is little shorter. The older one has much longer focus throw, almost 180 degrees, the AI-S version less than 90 degrees.

Here´s some comparison shots. No PP, just resized

24 mm NC wide open

24 mm AI-S wide open

Close distance

24 mm NC at f/2.8

24 mm AI-S at f/2.8

I cannot see a big difference between the two. To my eyes, the AI-S is maybe a little contrastier and sharper at close distances, but the NC is maybe a little sharper at infinity. Maybe it´s just my skill , they are not easy to focus with the D200 original screen in the low light.

Here´s some flare shots sun is shining straight onto the lenses.

24 mm NC at f/16

24 mm AI-S at f/22

So far I´m satisfied with the older one – but – there´s one detail. The NC is well used, and the focusing ring is rather loose. When I turn the ring towards infinity and reverse the turning direction, the picture in the viewfinder jumps sideways. It doesn´t affect the focus, but it´s disturbing. Anyone having same kind of problem with an older lens? Maybe the focusing cam is just loose. The lens rattles a bit when shaken, but the newer one rattles too.

I have take more pictures, before I can decide, which one I´ll keep.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest to keep AIS, well know quality lens it will keep it's value.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Attila
and I think the results from the AIS version are better - contrast, saturation, sharper etc,

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie said "So far I´m satisfied with the older one – but – there´s one detail. The NC is well used, and the focusing ring is rather loose. When I turn the ring towards infinity and reverse the turning direction, the picture in the viewfinder jumps sideways. It doesn´t affect the focus, but it´s disturbing. Anyone having same kind of problem with an older lens? Maybe the focusing cam is just loose. The lens rattles a bit when shaken, but the newer one rattles too. "

I had this problems with two normal lenses. At the pics, till I could see, nothing wrong.

Ihaven't experience with nikkor lenses, but the ais seem better to me.

Good luck.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

That jumping image at end of focus rotation is not a rare thing, two of
my nikkors and some other manufacture's do the same thing. But it
is annoying, but IQ does not seem to suffer. I do not notice some
ill effect due to the jumping, of course that is my personal experience.

happy shooting

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIS should be a bit better, have that one, too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 24/2 and it's a beautiful lens Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I forget.

If you take with one hand the focus ring and with the other the end of the lens and when you move one or both hands in bascule way, the lens moves too, it can to be a problem that tends to be badly in the future.

One repairmen told me that years ago.

Good luck. Rino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Well. I´m relieved to hear, that others have had same phenomenon with the viewfinder picture jumping. I have noticed no effect in pictures. Still...
the newer one has a silky smooth focusing, and it´s joy to use.

Rino, what do You mean by "bascule movement"? That word is not in my dictionary.

Yours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Nikkor-NC is a very very good lens but the AIS is truly superb IMO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
The old Nikkor-NC is a very very good lens but the AIS is truly superb IMO

I tested following 24mm lenses:

Olympus OM 24mm f2
Nikkor 24mm f2 AI
Yashica ML 24mm
Some others vivitar, etc.

I found 24mm f2.8 AIS Nikkor is the best one from above lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pút it in this words to be clearer. Take the lens as I told you before.
Move your hands like you want and the lens mut be still, motionless.

I usally do it before any purchase or in force warranty.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have both the NC Ai'd version as well as the Ais version just like you have...There is a small scratch on the Ais front element, but I like & am keeping both since they did not cost me much...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the AIS version for the last couple of years and had faced the same dilema as yours when I bought it, but let go the NC as I liked the AIS version better (mine was not Ai'd and hence had to be stopped down to get metering on my F4) and as Attila puts it it is one of the best 24 mm around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to sell the older NC one.

Anybody interested? It´s worn, but perfectly usable.

I paid 55 euros for it + postage, now I´m asking 60 Euros.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the "NC" and I really like it!

Since the results are so close, you should keep the one that "feels" better for you when you use it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason to sell the NC is just that, the AI-S version feels more
positive, more precise. It gives me confidence. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8 on its way. Its the N, not the N.C which I would have preferred; and in fact its labelled Nippon Kogaku Japan, predating the switch to "Nikon'. Includes front and rear caps plus HN-1 hood (which I will probably swap out for a deeper one).

The exterior is rubbed, the optics are in good (not perfect) condition, and its been factory AI'ed by the look of it. It cost me 41 pounds (48 euro). Click here to see on Ebay

Edit: remove broken ebay image links, add my own image.

Hopefully this lens will actually arrive, unlike the last one I bought, grr....

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this great lens , I think this single coated lens can be same good as Multi-coated NC. What did happen with your last lens ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely old lens, you should get that price.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

An excellent buy - you will get a lot out of this one. Show us samples when you can

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

You got yours a bit cheaper than me. Smile Yours is not MC, but it´s then it´s Nippon Kogaku.

I don´t believe that you´ll be disappointed.

Does anybody know, what paint the camera companies used? Would it be possible to airbrush them yourself with some car paint or so?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I head that something called 'gun black' can be used, although I imagine that is much easier to get in countries where guns are commonplace items Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone calls it paint, but isn't it really black anodised?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what material is the outer body made of?
I have access to some workshops that do anodizing, but to what i know only certain material can be anodized.