Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two 24 mm Nikkors - which one should I keep?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had wanted a cosmetically perfect lens then I could have paid 15 euro more, or so, to get a nicer looking example.

I'm more interested in the optical quality, the mechanical precision, and the value for money. Yes, the outside looks pretty scuffed. i can always buy a better one later if I really feel the need...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chris. I want to look THROUGH the lens, not AT the lens, although at least some of them are beautiful objects, too.

I was just wondering, if I wanted to restore a lens, what paint/ coating I should use.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
I agree with Chris. I want to look THROUGH the lens, not AT the lens, although at least some of them are beautiful objects, too.

I was just wondering, if I wanted to restore a lens, what paint/ coating I should use.

Yes, and I was interested in that, but also trying to avod doubling the amount spent on a lens just for cosmetic effect.

I believe its a powder coat, rather than anodising.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens arrived today. I'm working, plus its a dull rainy grey day so too early to tell how it performs. Hope to try it out at the weekend.

On inspection, my copy is in optically very good condition, scruffy (as per photos) but mechanically sound exterior. It came with a Nikon UV filter, original Nippon Kogaku front cap, and HN-1 hood (nice, but too wide for a crop sensor) and a generic rear cap.

It's been factory AI'd with the AI kit 23, which is nice if I upgrade my Nikon body in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was a nice sunny day, so I took the 24N out for a spin along with my 28mm f/2.8 AIS for comparison.

Initial impressions: mechanically sound, there is a very small amount of play in the 24N focusing ring, but certainly not enough to cause any shake or jumping in the viewfinder. The aperture ring is smooth, firm and has precise clicks.

I used a Nikon HN-2 hood, which I swapped between the 24N and the 28. The 28 has a B+W MRC 101 filter on it, and I kept the Nikon L39 filer which came with the 24N.

The colour balance is noticeably warmer than my other (more recent) Nikkors or the CV40. There is rather less contrast and its slightly softer, compared to the 28mm.

Some shots of the Xmas fair (all photos link to flickr for larger, including full-size, versions):
24N, f/8

28AIS, f/8

Pipes and water caustics in a fountain. The water level and degree of water turbulence was constantly changing and is not identical in the two shots. The warmer rendering is particularly noticeable in the stone edging of the fountain.
24N, f/8

28AIS, f/8

Some flare tests. This is shooting directly into the sun, with the sun just inside the frame. There is some veiling flare with the 28AIS, not too bad and no coloured blobs (though this lens can produce them if badly provoked). The 24N has pretty bad veiling flare and a rich selection of rainbow coloured artefacts. I will try to get a deeper hood than the HN-2.
24N, f/8

28AIS, f/8

Overall impression is that its a good lens, a useful focal length between my 20mm and 28mm; needs careful watching for flare and needs a little white balance tweaking to give a neutral rendering. The 28mm AIS is clearly a better lens, but the 24N is certainly good enough to use that I won't be in a hurry to find a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens itself. Very nice optical condition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your lens has travelled a lot. Smile

My findings about the performance is similar to yours. Mine 24NC is coated, but the flare is still worse than with my 24 AIS. Otherwise, no big difference. Because the AIS is nicer to use, I´m selling the NC on a Finnish auction site. Three days left, the highest bid is now 50 EUR. I don´t expect it to rise much from that, if all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about the effect of multicoating. My options then were a Nikkor-N.C (same optical formula as Nikkor-N, but multicoated) or a Nikkor AI 24mm f/2.8 (different optical formula, used for K, AI and AIS). I didn't consider the AIS version, since I like a long focus throw and this was substantially reduced for AIS compared to AI.

As ever, price was a major consideration. After following some auctions on both the N.C and the AI versions, I won an N.C. It arrived today.

Optical condition is very good, and the exterior is also very good unlike my "well used" Nikkor-N. The focus ring is also a bit smoother and more lubricated-feeling.

A quick out of the window side-by-side comparison at f/4 reveals notably better central contrast and sharpness for the N.C, while the edges (at least, the left edge) may be a bit softer. This could be sample variation of course.

I'm going to do a more careful comparison over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses in question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a Nikkor-N 24 yesterday, I'm running a roll with it today. Mine must be a bit younger than yours, as mine just says Nikon instead of Nippon Kogaku. My copy has an after-market Ai conversion by John White.

Seems like a nice lens.