Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kiddo"]
blotafton wrote:
Soap bubble comparison.

I have never compared before.

These are led lights, I lost the exact focus point in the middle of the test.

Being a new lens, I've expected not to see dust inside the bokeh balls, so I thought it might be dust from the sensor, but the black dots don't respect same pattern in all other images

I think it's sensor dust. The camera was panned to a focus reference between the shots and they are not exactly in the same location. I can only see a few external dust spots on the lens that have appeared after using the for a while now. It was clean when I got it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
A youtube comparison between the Trioplan and the Ttartisan:
https://youtu.be/UVfy-F1ze9c

This shows the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pronounced outer rings. I have a 20's trioplan from folding camera and lens has got some bubbles from coatings affection, not dust. I'm not sure how younger version of trioplan would suffer the same issue. This ttartisan looks nice,except the outer rings are less visible

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
A youtube comparison between the Trioplan and the Ttartisan:
https://youtu.be/UVfy-F1ze9c

This shows the difference.

Yes I've noticed. The TTartisan bubbles are less hardcore.
I had a hard time to chose my favorite. The TTartisan has the advantage of a shorter MFD, which allows for bigger bubbles. On the other hand, the Trioplan's hard bubble outlines can be an artistic benefit it some situations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first thought when seeing the first samples. A bit weaker rings. Good to have a real Trioplan comparison!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Can you guess Reply with quote

I did a comparison of the TTartisan and the Trioplan. Can you guess the lens? Wink

Just scaled down, shot with Nikon Z7. Auto white balance turned of.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is Trioplan -- thicker bubble edges

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't shot to much with trioplan, but I remember that one can make outer rings be more visible or not that much, so, what I mean is, if there's interest to hide some of this lens attributes, one can do so and it wouldn't be easy to match the right lens . On the other hand , the upper right corner I see different yellow color , not to much, but it is still there. Besides ,seems like your trioplan is in a good shape , no dust or coatings affected .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Also warmer tones (that could be WB though, but I suppose it's the same setting). I've also noticed, also in other comparisons, that there's slight difference in real speed, at least based on the size of the bubbles. But this is extremely close and I'd say that colour rendering is the biggest difference between lenses, while bokeh is almost the same.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the top one is the Trioplan. The bubbles are more similar in your test but there is a bit more contrast on the #2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I haven't shot to much with trioplan, but I remember that one can make outer rings be more visible or not that much, so, what I mean is, if there's interest to hide some of this lens attributes, one can do so and it wouldn't be easy to match the right lens . On the other hand , the upper right corner I see different yellow color , not to much, but it is still there. Besides ,seems like your trioplan is in a good shape , no dust or coatings affected .

Slightly stop down the lens if you don't want the outer rings visible.

The major difference is the color on the edge of the bubble. I would say the first one is the original too since it has a yellow tint on the edge.

My pre-war trioplan for cine may have even more pronounced yellow tint on the bubble edge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guessing, and you are all right. The first sample is from the Trioplan. The main difference of the bubble bokeh is that the Trioplans bubbles are more 3D alike. The color gradients are smoother and more colorful in the bokeh balls, while the TTartisan are more circular shapes with harsher strokes (busy balls). I was also supprised to see how good the 60 year old Trioplan holds up aganst a modern lens from a innovative company that gains more and more respect. The Trioplan is also 1/3 of a stop faster than the TTartisan. It has smoother overal bokeh and has slightly warmer colors. I was expecting a bigger difference in colors. The Trioplan has more blooming around highlights, but also here with a smoother transition. Sharpness and contrast is better on the TTartisan.

Kudos to TTartisan for making affordable replicas of old lens design. I still prefer the overal rendering of the Trioplan, but for $155, this lens is super deal. My dream is (as a small lens lover) that they also bring back more small format RF-lenses in m39 mount.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Also warmer tones (that could be WB though, but I suppose it's the same setting). I've also noticed, also in other comparisons, that there's slight difference in real speed, at least based on the size of the bubbles. But this is extremely close and I'd say that colour rendering is the biggest difference between lenses, while bokeh is almost the same.

WB is fixed in the samples. The close focus distance is better on the TTartisan (0.9 m vs 1.1m). Closer focus give bigger bokeh balls, but the Trioplan show 1/3 of a stop faster shutter time wide open. So, light transmission seems to be better on the Trioplan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I was also supprised to see how good the 60 year old Trioplan holds up aganst a modern lens from a innovative company that gains more and more respect.

I think they tried to get as close as they can to making the same lens as Trioplan, to create an alternative. So their intention wasn't to make a better lens, since we (vintage lens connoisseurs) would not prefer that. What I don't like with TTArtisan is what we both have mentioned, the difference in speed (which I believe is also the cause of difference in bubbles too, since Trioplan would probably have even more similar bubbles if it was that 1/3 stop slower itself). It's not a deal breaker, but it's not a plus. Another thing I don't like, at least based on pictures (but also experience with similar designs), is the positioning of its focusing ring, being too close to the rear end. At least for me that's a bit awkward position (it's good that there's adapter behind the lens), but also not a deal breaker. So if I was offered a Trioplan with perfectly fine glass and no dirt inside, everything that matters being in good condition, and for a good price (below 300 eur), I'd probably go for it instead of TT which would cost me probably around 200 after taxes. But in the real world TTArtisan would probably be a better choice, especially since every Trioplan won on auction is a bit of a gamble and possible return to seller. Still, my bet would be that nice and CLA'd Trioplan would outlast a new TTArtisan, for those thinking of their grandchildren.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
I was also supprised to see how good the 60 year old Trioplan holds up aganst a modern lens from a innovative company that gains more and more respect.

I think they tried to get as close as they can to making the same lens as Trioplan, to create an alternative. So their intention wasn't to make a better lens, since we (vintage lens connoisseurs) would not prefer that. What I don't like with TTArtisan is what we both have mentioned, the difference in speed (which I believe is also the cause of difference in bubbles too, since Trioplan would probably have even more similar bubbles if it was that 1/3 stop slower itself). It's not a deal breaker, but it's not a plus. Another thing I don't like, at least based on pictures (but also experience with similar designs), is the positioning of its focusing ring, being too close to the rear end. At least for me that's a bit awkward position (it's good that there's adapter behind the lens), but also not a deal breaker. So if I was offered a Trioplan with perfectly fine glass and no dirt inside, everything that matters being in good condition, and for a good price (below 300 eur), I'd probably go for it instead of TT which would cost me probably around 200 after taxes. But in the real world TTArtisan would probably be a better choice, especially since every Trioplan won on auction is a bit of a gamble and possible return to seller. Still, my bet would be that nice and CLA'd Trioplan would outlast a new TTArtisan, for those thinking of their grandchildren.

Yes, the Trioplan is a runner up for collectors only or those with a special interest of the small differences it produces. There is no need for paying several hundreds extra for the Trioplan when the TTartisan give you similar looks and also have a few good cards on its own.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Kudos to TTartisan for making affordable replicas of old lens design. I still prefer the overal rendering of the Trioplan, but for $155, this lens is super deal. My dream is (as a small lens lover) that they also bring back more small format RF-lenses in m39 mount.

I have plans to bring back some L39 lenses. You can give me some ideas at the MFL Advanced Members Discussion Board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some shots taken with the TTA and a medium format GFX on flickr.

Seems to work well on larger sensors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13642716@N05

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original trioplan works well on GFX too. If you unscrew the lens head, it can cover much larger image circle like 6x9 or fully illuminate 4x5 at close distance https://chan.nds.hk/blog/?p=7664 .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The original trioplan works well on GFX too. If you unscrew the lens head, it can cover much larger image circle like 6x9 or fully illuminate 4x5 at close distance https://chan.nds.hk/blog/?p=7664 .

That's really big! A multi format lens Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOG 100mm Orestor 2.8 zebra is fantastic on my GFX too. I can't speak for the later versions.

Obviously you don't get the same soap bubble effect, but you do get a classic vintage look in a lens that is very small and lightweight and has no vignetting at all at any distance or aperture. It's very sharp at smaller apertures, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you guess Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I did a comparison of the TTartisan and the Trioplan. Can you guess the lens? Wink

You have a Nicca !!! Congratulation, im looking for that model forever.

is that 5cm/1.8 or 5cm/2.8 ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
The MOG 100mm Orestor 2.8 zebra is fantastic on my GFX too. I can't speak for the later versions.

Obviously you don't get the same soap bubble effect, but you do get a classic vintage look in a lens that is very small and lightweight and has no vignetting at all at any distance or aperture. It's very sharp at smaller apertures, too.

Great combo!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got recently a Trioplan as gift by a friend who had two (I forced him to accept another vintage lens as a thank you), but otherwise I would have considered the TT Artisan, although the prices of the original are currently falling, at 250 € it can be found quite easily, then you have to see the condition, of course. But the differences are not excessive, and a company that brings back such iconic objects deserves appreciation, also because I believe that behind the new Meyer Optik there is a similar production reality, but with very different final prices.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can you guess Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

You have a Nicca !!! Congratulation, im looking for that model forever.

is that 5cm/1.8 or 5cm/2.8 ?

It is a f/2.8, lovely camera (Nicca 3s) and lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nordentro

goddag, ok thanx .. you are really lucky to have that setup

max exposure is to 500 or 1000 on your model ?