Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Top 25 Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:

I noticed you gave Zeiss and Leica to both Canon and Sonya, but stayed close to Nikkor for Nikon. I am not sure if that is a vote up or down for the Nikon and its glass.

The reason is that you need to "Leitax" each Leica lens in order to use it on a Nikon. And the excellent Zeiss wide angles are covered by the amazing Nikkor 14-24. Of course, you could easily add the Otus 50 to the Nikon list. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
So what are your top 5 lens to go on an island?

If this is that famous "deserted island" question, I would not bring any lens or cam. What would it be good for?
No electricity, nothing. I would bring a good knife, tools, fire starters, protection ... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 lenses is really too much, just to start!!

5 lenses would be easier, so my list to use on Full-frame camera:

17mm: Canon TSE 17mm
35mm: Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35 (C/Y)
50mm: Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 ZE
85mm: Canon FD 1.2/85mm
135mm: Zeiss Apo-sonnar 2.0/135 or Apo-lanthar 125mm

I would EASILY leave with ONLY those 5/6 lenses!! Laughing
(Currently have over 50 lenses including 2 of those listed)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Top 25 Lenses Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Nice list!!! I don't think I've seen a Nikon 300/2.0 very often for sale.

Yeah, thats the problem why I don´t have all these lenses Smile
The other is my wallet :-/

But at least I own some of the cheap lenses from my list.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
a Napoleon on St Helena proposition.

would Napoleon have some internet access or a darkroom with supplies?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Hologon 8/15mm (older three element type)
Schneider Super Angulon 3,4/21mm
Leitz Summilux 35 mm aspherical (the FIRST type, not the cheap asph. one from today!)
Biogon 4,5/38mm
Kern Makro Switar 1,9/50mm
Leitz Noctilux (I'd prefer 1,2 version)
Zeiss Planar 1,2/85 mm
Kinoptik 2/100mm
Zeiss UV Sonnar 4,3/105mm
Kinoptik 2,8 / 150mm
Leitz APO Telyt 3,4/180mm
Zeiss Superachromat 5,6 250mm
Leitz Telyt-S 5,6 800mm

..there are some others, but I'm not a lens fetishist at all….

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Zeiss Hologon 8/15mm (older three element type)
Schneider Super Angulon 3,4/21mm
Leitz Summilux 35 mm aspherical (the FIRST type, not the cheap asph. one from today!)
Biogon 4,5/38mm
Kern Makro Switar 1,9/50mm
Leitz Noctilux (I'd prefer 1,2 version)
Zeiss Planar 1,2/85 mm
Kinoptik 2/100mm
Zeiss UV Sonnar 4,3/105mm
Kinoptik 2,8 / 150mm
Leitz APO Telyt 3,4/180mm
Zeiss Superachromat 5,6 250mm
Leitz Telyt-S 5,6 800mm

..there are some others, but I'm not a lens fetishist at all….

Nah, of course not! Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: hologon does not make the list Reply with quote

In my medium- limited experience I found the Leitz\Zeiss Hologon too unsharp in the corners. Good fun, with a huge depth of field, nice and compact (except for the necessary lump of a viewfinder) AND of course a milestone among "mass produced" optics. If the list is supposed to be of first of -its- kind , for common use, maybe the Zoomar and Angenieux Retrofocus would make it, but Hologon as a paragon of sharpness, for landscapes or cityscapes, no.

Kerns apochromat, sharp & nice contrast, very useful focussing range, but not easily adapted to FFdigital except perhaps Sony when they get their act together. The two Kinoptics are nice , but very heavy, and again, unless one has the early 100mm with the extensan helical mount -or a cine version, It is not usable on Canon or Nikon FF.

If such matters do not count, yes, perhaps. I find that the Leica 100 2,8 has close focus and does the job if one is lugging FF equipment around.

The little Leitz 180 is very usable, so if size counts, it is in.With smaller frame sensor stabilized M4\3 , 90 LM optics have the same field of view and provide a stedier platform. I have not tried the the ElmarC, but the similar M-Rokkor and the ApoLanthar are reasonably good and very small. Reputedly the Elmarit-M and the Summarit are even better, but they are bigger.

BUT, in a survey like this most participants only know some of the kit discussed and criteria ere highly personal, so maybe one should concentrate on lauding the best one has settled for by performance, price, size etc in some ranges, say 28-35mm, 40-60, 75-100 plus wide\normal and long zooms ?

p.