Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Topogon – what is this lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: The Topogon – what is this lens? Reply with quote

Un the antic shop I bought the strange lens. It consists from two parts. Do somebody has any idea for what it might be? Confused

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be for old wooden box cameras

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII aerial lens. Not a exciting one, though, except for its sheer size and history (being one of the first Topogon designs). It is a Topogon type wide angle with 30x30cm coverage but rather strong light falloff, is slow at f/6.3, compared to the relatively popular narrow angle aerials (which often have f/3.5 or more), and the lens vade mecum lists it as "disappointing when converted to civilian use".

As usual, yours is missing the camera (which was built into recon planes) and (electric) shutter. IMHO a paperweight rather than a user item.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
IMHO a paperweight rather than a user item.

Well.. But might be it is the collectible one, perhaps?

I paid for it a whole amount, equal to $8. So, I do try to find some practical use for it. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Cavina has all you always wanted to know about the Topogon:
http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Hypergon_Topogon_Biogon_Hologon/00_pag.htm

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Hypergon_Topogon_Biogon_Hologon/00_pag.htm
Cheers!
Abbazz

Have you noticed the two huge Biogons that he owns?
super-drool !! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
If you decide you dont' have a use for it, let me know, I've got a few ideas for some metrogons and topogons that I'd like to try on my 8x10 camera.

erie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Abbazz wrote:
Cheers!
Abbazz

Have you noticed the two huge Biogons that he owns?
super-drool !! Shocked

Had you looked a bit more careful, you would have noticed that Marco does NOT own these lenses. He wanted to do that article and searched for pictures, so he got most of them from me. These are lenses Thomas Müller and I own (resp. have owned); we both share a hobby for highest resolution lenses.

About the 6.3/20cm Topogon, that was made by Busch in licence from Carl Zeiss Jena and carries a non-Zeiss serial number. A problem to assemble the lens halves to a working lens will be the correct lens spacing which is quite critical for that design.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

About the 6.3/20cm Topogon, that was made by Busch in licence from Carl Zeiss Jena and carries a non-Zeiss serial number. A problem to assemble the lens halves to a working lens will be the correct lens spacing which is quite critical for that design.

Unless, of course, one uses it in a barrel, and a suitably large opening packard or Sinar Shutter (I have and use both), preserving cell spacing.

erie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

preserving which spacing? You know how much??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the big snag - AFAIK these things were mounted in a camera that was built into an airplane body, the pictures of complete ones I have seen had every trace of being cut out with a saw. You'd probably have to get hold of a physical complete specimen to measure the flange distance to rear and front.