Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Great Cheapo Lens Challenge - 1 (Optomax 2.8/28)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resolution seems good, except for the edges. Which camera where you using?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, resolution is OK in the centre... I used a 5D2

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The portrait is good.

If it doesn't shine on the 5D2 then god knows what I'll be able to make of it.

Maybe it will be okay on BW film?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The portrait is good.

If it doesn't shine on the 5D2 then god knows what I'll be able to make of it.

Maybe it will be okay on BW film?

Could be! Although it gets so bad towards the edge I think it's more than just a sensor thing. Be interesting to see though.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to my turn, we know it's crap and I've had my fill of crap lenses. But I signed up for this so I'll have to do my bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I shall be leaving for Sydney in just over 2 weeks time and we're going to be staying there for 8 weeks with our new grandson Lewis. I'll be able to administer the challenges while I'm away, but I'm going to have to miss my turn with the Optomax. Sad

Well, thanks to Xpres's kindness and with Ian's aquiescence, I now have the Optomax here in my hand. Many thanks to both of you. I shall be posting it on to Ian before we leave at the end of next week. Pics to follow.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out today with this lens, it truly lives up to its "crappy" label! Smile

I found it very hard to focus on anything, near or far - in fact it's very difficult to find a point of sharp focus at all, even when using MF assist on the NEX. Also the NEX found it very difficult to meter properly - I'm pretty sure there is a veiling flare problem, probably internal reflections. Wide open it's like looking through a misted-up windscreen. All my shots were at f11 or f16.

I took about 100, these are about the best in the five categories. No PP whatsoever - straight conversions from the RAW files. They are all taken within 4 miles of my home.

A Building
#1 - The Kings Arms Hotel, Amersham - "with origins back to the 14th century", which makes it at least 700 years old.

#2 - One of the smallest houses in the country

Street scene
#3 - Old Amersham High Street

#4 - The Guildhall, Amersham - inside the arches is the old town jail.

Portrait
#5 - The War Memorial in The Memorial Gardens, Amersham

Close-up
#7 - it wasn't meant to be this close but the model wouldn't keep still. Smile

Landscape (I couldn't make up my mind)
#8 - The new bright green leaves on the Beech trees in Penn Wood

#9 - A field of oil-seed rape, a foreign-looking crop here. The verdant green fields are more normal, even greener this year because of all the recent rain.

#10 - The village pond and cricket green at Penn Street

I've included this final pic of the church and the River Misbourne to demonstrate the other flaw of this lens - it's impossible towards the sun. This was with the rectangular Pentax 28/3.5 hood.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus is bad in that lens, the pictures with writing - the pub sign, the huge banner on the building - they should be readable, but they're not. And the flower basked is dire.
On the plus side, the colours aren't that bad.

You've got some nice pictures, considering the equipment ! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. They're not quite so bad if you click on them, and I agree about the colours - that was a surprise - but I never want to use it again. Smile It'll be in the post to Ian in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do dig the horse shot. That lens seems to distort distances more than most 28s and the horse's head seems almost disembodied from the rest of it, it appears to be so far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I do dig the horse shot. That lens seems to distort distances more than most 28s and the horse's head seems almost disembodied from the rest of it, it appears to be so far away.

I didn't notice that before! There were two horses (ponies really) and they both seemed very keen to have their picture taken. I don't think this head is connected to that body. Smile

Two rejected pics:

This one shows the veiling flare problem

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is on its way to Ian. I'm not sorry to see it go. I'm afraid I couldn't do as well with it as the others before me. With the small v/f and no live view on the 400D it was totally impossible.

Ian, the T-mount unscrews easily - the screws are not tightened - and it focusses well beyond infinity on my adapters. Sorry I didn't have the time (or the inclination TBH) to adjust and set it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this competition is not only about the lens, but also about the places where we live.

@Peter: I enjoyed viewing the pictures of your town very much!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pst wrote:
For me this competition is not only about the lens, but also about the places where we live.

@Peter: I enjoyed viewing the pictures of your town very much!

Thankyou Patrick. We often take what we have for granted and envy what we don't. I've tried to make an effort to appreciate living here in this lovely "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty" - I live only about 500m from where the two horses were pictured - but I still often wish we had some majestic mountains! Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Optomax landed this morning. I'll shoot it over the weekend, weather allowing.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who am I to send this lens on to? Illness prevents me from using it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Who am I to send this lens on to? Illness prevents me from using it.

Ian, because Xpres and myself were so quick, this lens has now caught up with the Focal much more than I'd have liked. It would be great if you could hang onto it for say 3 weeks more to put things in balance again, and by then hopefully you'll be feeling better and up to taking some pics with it.

I'll PM you the name and address of the next person in about 3 weeks.

Cheers
Peter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, if I have 3 weeks then that's fine, I will be able to shoot with it, I was just getting worried that I've already had it several days and not been able to do anything with it, I was just conscious of holding the process up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try this lens, oh my, quite excreable, I tried it on film in the hopes it would do better than on digital.

Some hope, it's just rotten. To use I found it really annoying, the tiny focus ring is difficult to use and it seems that the aperture markings are very inaccurate and vary a great deal from the actual light transmittance. The result was wildly varying exposures from frame to frame, and I know my Weston meter is accurate. Sad

It's sharp enough stopped down to f11, and at f11 and f16 the corners are acceptable. Above that they are distinctly mushy. The coating is pretty useless, it flares really badly, I should have used a hood.

I really didn't enjoy using this lens. Sad

This is the one frame from the roll that was close enough to the proper exposure to have scanned well. Kodak Vision2 500T in Fomadon LQR. Zenit 412 M42 SLR.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I received the lens this week. I did'nt know I was in line for it.
Gives me something "usefull" to do this weekend Wink The weather is great, I have nothing planned, so that's just perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it reached you safely Patrick Smile

Hope you enjoy it more than I did!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Sorry, I have not been able to shoot with this lens yet. Life and work very busy...
I am on vacation now and will get some shots by the end next week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, with apologies to people waiting to use it, there is no problem if you take your time and hold on to this lens for a while. As you know, there has been a considerable delay with the Focal and now the Optomax has virtually caught it up.

For anybody who is still waiting eagerly, take it from me - this lens really is truly rubbish! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

For anybody who is still waiting eagerly, take it from me - this lens really is truly rubbish! Smile

->Exactly!

Knowing this lens would suck, I tried to concentrate on it's "strengths". I found that this lens is perfect for achieving a vintage look! Wide open it gives a nice glow to B/W photos. And it's massive flare can also be used creatively!
[No PP except for B/W conversion and low sharpening after resizing, EOS 5DII]

@F2.8:

@F8:

a close-up @around F8:

showing the (actually quite nice) bokeh @F4:

a "landscape" @F8 (sharpness and CA suck!):

Job done, someone please take it off my hands Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, you truly do live in a glorious place! I love all your shots, much better than my poor effort.

I'll get back to you with an address to send it very soon.