Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Test - Adox CHS 50 w/ Fino S 31
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Test - Adox CHS 50 w/ Fino S 31 Reply with quote

I made this test with an 8-pose bit of Adox CHS 50 (Efke), which I took from the bulk reel
(bulk film is great for testing, you don't have to waste 36 poses to test a film/developer combination)
and I developed with Ornano Fino S31, the compensating developer I used already with an Agfapan film.

I did not have any time reference, so I took the time listed by Ornano for the Ilford Pan F 25 + Fino S31 combination,
and added 3 minutes in order to compensate for both the faster film and the weakness of the developer which passed expiration date.
In addition to that, I also did change the agitation from the recommended 20 sec. + 10 sec. every minute, to 20 sec. + 5 sec. every half minute.
This because in my previous use of this developer I got a very weak contrast.

I think I have obtained mixed results from this test. The developing time of 8 minutes (vs. the 5'30" listed for the Ilford film) is -I think- spot on.
I think instead I had a bad idea of changing the agitation scheme. The contrast seems too much for me.
The first two images here are from the scanner with nearly default settings (so the most faithful to negative condition)
The last two images have had the contrast adjusted in Silverfast, and represent what I would have liked the negative to deliver naturally: a full range of grays.
Note that I am not speaking of final image here: as final images, #1 and #2 may even work better (especially on RC paper where blacks are weaker).
I am speaking of obtaining a negative that is more flexible for printing.
I think that negatives like #3 and #4 would be more flexible in the darkroom, especially with my condenser enlarger.

The detail is pleasing for me in all 4 exposures, and grain acceptable in spite of the frequent agitations which surely accentuated it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I agree completely with your assessment . The overall developing time is about right for the exposure . But less frequent agitation to allow for more compensation for a negative friendly to wet printing. Assuming of course this developer performs it's compensating effects in a traditional manner .

I have found very little information on this developer so far . And most of what I have found is in Italian so it takes me a while to understand. It certainly looks promising ! And I look forward to seeing your results and opinions on this !

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erkie. I will do another test roll in the next days, and I will report here.
I don't know if this developer has ever been exported. In general the Ornano products appear to be little known outside of Italy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shot is very nice Smile

Are the very tiny white spots errors in the emulsion?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Are the very tiny white spots errors in the emulsion?

No, it's dust or water sediment, which prevented the developer to act.
Being a test roll, I did use normal water instead of demineralized.