Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro Reply with quote

The copy I got from no-x has been serving me well. That is, after the Adaptall-PK adapter finally arrived, I got to play with it one day on my K20D....

After which I sold my K20D (in anticipation for the K-7), and so quickly placed an order for a PK-EF adapter, after whose arrival I've been playing with it on my 5D.

Needless to say, I like the lens. Thanks, no-x Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And using it very very well - great set. That is a very fine lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! great lens, try it also for portrait

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
And using it very very well - great set. That is a very fine lens

patrickh

Thanks!! It is a fine piece of glass, I agree Smile

poilu wrote:
congrats! great lens, try it also for portrait

I shall try!! Smile[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photos show why the lens is so highly regarded even after so many years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens and really sharp at F4 and smaller. Wide open they are a bit soft.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures! ...sadly you stand condemned as a greedy so-and-so.. a 5D AND a Pentax K-7? Hmm lol

Doug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Tamron Nikon mount 90mm f/2.5 manual focus Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what one of these in good condition is worth?[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEH has one in excellent condition for $125 right now. Ebay prices can land anywhere between $100-200, and higher with crazies and bid wars.

I bought mine locally for $100.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead: Nice results, I'm glad, that the lens serves you well Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted that lens... Your photos just make me want it more.

Love the color in the first and the fly on the clover... that oof area is dreamy in that one.

I have the Vivi S1 105 and a m42 Vivi S1 90, so I have never been able to justify spending more on another 90 macro. But I have always wanted to do shoot out between this one and my beautiful S1 90mm.
Maybe someday.

Good find on this one. And keep the shots coming... I love the LBA pressure Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it so much. My bank account ran dry, while my cabinet became cram-full so I decided I must sell some of my lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Tamron 90 compare against the Vivitar?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly not quite as sharp. Colour and OOF at least the equal. Differences are very small and may well be imagination

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I can't tell shots from either lens apart. My Tamron seems less sharp at wider apertures but I've never done a proper comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, thanks again no-X!

@Gus

I have the Pentax D FA 100mm f2.8 which I would use for "clinical" macro shots, not just because of the 1:1 capability, but also because of the optical characteristics; it's sharp, precise, subdued. This Tamron would be for the more colorful/arty type shots. Which I like to take anyway Very Happy I certainly wouldn't mind having the Vivitar, but like you, I would find it hard to justify another 90 macro (especially after my most recent purchase of the Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5 Close Focus). I think there is only one more macro I want/need, which is either Makro-Planar 100/2 or CV Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5.

Whichever one presents itself to me at an opportune time would be the last macro for me (at least in the 100mm-ish range).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different versions of this lens...
- the old full metal one
- some new one with a clear plastic shield over the distance scale.

I had both and stayed with the old one.

Then there came the 2.8-version which is somewhat sharper.

As for you adaption via PK-EF-adaptor-ring:
Perhaps a better way which is not so expensive will be a Tamron M42-ring and a M42-EF-adaptor....
I prefer it this way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Perhaps a better way which is not so expensive will be a Tamron M42-ring and a M42-EF-adaptor....
I prefer it this way.

But that would make it more difficult to share the lens with my K-7, because I would have to swap 2 adapters instead of just adding or removing the PK-EF adapter. I wouldn't want to use the M42-PK adapter, because it won't couple the aperture. Being able to shoot in "A" mode is very beneficial, I've learned, especially with older lenses that don't have an A/M switch (or a preset diaphragm). Smile

I posted a couple shots of this lens on my new K-7 in the "Post your flowers" topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
How does the Tamron 90 compare against the Vivitar?

if you compare
>with the Komine made 90mm .. Tamron a little better
>with the Kiron made 105mm (Vivitar S1), Kiron Really Better
> With the Cosina made 100mm (af): Tamron better

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
But that would make it more difficult to share the lens with my K-7, because I would have to swap 2 adapters instead of just adding or removing the PK-EF adapter.

oh then - o.k.!
Hope you're glad and happy with it!
How does it compare with the 5D?
Did you already made some comparison?

Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
rawhead wrote:
But that would make it more difficult to share the lens with my K-7, because I would have to swap 2 adapters instead of just adding or removing the PK-EF adapter.

oh then - o.k.!
Hope you're glad and happy with it!
How does it compare with the 5D?
Did you already made some comparison?

Congrats!

Well, the big differenc between the K-7 and 5D in regards to using this lens is the sensor size and the presence of Live View. Because 5D doesn't have it, and the K-7 is APS-C, I like the K-7 much better for doing macro work. I'll probably use the 5D to do portraits Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just managed to find a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro (52B) today!!!

It had a tiny bit of fungus, which was easily cleaned, so it now very nice.

I paid the princely sum of just over $10 USD (equivalent)!!!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I paid the princely sum of just over $10 USD

congrats! that's what I paid for 1 hour at the playground yesterday Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, crazy cheap!! Very Happy

I've taken a couple of shots in doors (it's night where I am), and it seems very sharp wide open.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
That is, after the Adaptall-PK adapter finally arrived, I got to play with it one day on my K20D....

On your K20 and/or K7, do you have a blue-ish circle in the middle of the picture when shooting at small apertures ?

My copy does it sometimes on both my Samsung GX1S and Pentax K200D. I read it is caused by light reflection on the sensor because of the large rear lens.