Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Duo-Tamron 135/4.5 Exakta - The first Tamron !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Tamron Duo-Tamron 135/4.5 Exakta - The first Tamron ! Reply with quote

This is supposedly the first Tamron lens ever (Model 280). Or perhaps it is the first lens made by Taisei Kogaku that was marketed as a Tamron ?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm135f4_5.htm

At any rate, this tiny lens, first sold in 1958, is the first. It was actually a set, consisting of the lens, hood and a matched teleconverter, to make the assembled unit a 225mm f/7.7. But when I aquired this used, long ago, this one no longer had the TC.

Interesting points :

- This thing is TINY. Its obvious that it was intended as a sort of coat-pocket accessory for an SLR, and its TC wouldn't have added much to the size.

- This does NOT have a T-mount, even though the Adaptall site says it does. The lens thread is M37x.75, not M42x.75, the adapter depth is smaller than a t-mount lens, hence the flange focal distance is smaller.

left - t-mount / right - Duo-Tamron mount

All the ones I have seen are apparently like mine, so its some other lens that was the first t-mount lens. The adapter was obviously designed along the same lines as a t-mount (or a t2-mount?), with a rotating insert and setscrews of very similar design. I have seen these in M42, obviously just having a different adapter.

- These were sold in the black "zebra" finish as this one, as well as an aluminum/chrome finish under a dealers brand.

Its a very conventional preset lens otherwise, rather handsome in nicely executed gloss enamel and aluminum/chrome. I got mine used (back when I was young and there were used camera stores), and already suffering from wear and tarnish, though it is otherwise completely functional. Its minimum focus is just 6 feet/2m, though thats understandable considering its size.

I mounted it on my Pentax with the Exakta->PK adapter, and it does not give infinity of course, but it gets to about 30 ft/10m, so its somewhat useful. Its quite a sharp lens for what it is, and its quite sharp wide open, high contrast but some propensity to flare (albeit it has an excellent hood).

Yet another bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the subtle tones. Nice bokeh.

Lens of 1958?

I was born in november of 1958. Both olds? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somos de la misma epoca !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this again ---
you are superb!!

You can have ANY lens -- the result is the same!

thanks for sharing...

tf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know there's any point in you testing lenses, Luis, because you can take any old lump of rough glass and produce some cracking results.
Otoh, perhaps the results you get are somewhere close to what the makers claimed when they were new - they must have based their claims on something other than wishful thinking.
You've certainly suprised me with your pics from lenses that have only produced some very mediocre results in the hands of others. It only goes to show what can be done in the right hands.
Great stuff; keep it up. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the first one and perhaps the best one? Shocked
Excellent clarity and bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luisalegria"]Somos de la misma epoca ![/quote]

Si? pero me gustaría tener también tu talento.

Lindas fotos y sorprendente lente.

Rino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Rino. You are truly talented.
This lens is in very good hands.
I can't believe how good some of these old Dinosaurs look compared to the new plastic fantastics.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb results, Luis! (As usual) Smile