Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron adaptall lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 70-150 soft focus is also my favorite.
500/8 55BB image quality is on par with canon 500/8, but it has close focus, while the canon has longer focus throw on the far end.
300/2.8 360B is on par with canon fd 300/2.8 L. Tamron 'adapt all too'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've collected all of them since joining this site and had some tremendous enjoyment out of them along the way and found my favoutites to be the 70-150 soft and the 35-80. But GAS or no GAS it's a rewarding journey and I'm slowly getting rid of some to settle on a few keepers that I'll actually use.
There's little to add to what's already been said except a vote for the compact 75-150, in all its versions, which is often overlooked and very cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
I've collected all of them since joining this site and had some tremendous enjoyment out of them along the way and found my favoutites to be the 70-150 soft and the 35-80. But GAS or no GAS it's a rewarding journey and I'm slowly getting rid of some to settle on a few keepers that I'll actually use.
There's little to add to what's already been said except a vote for the compact 75-150, in all its versions, which is often overlooked and very cheap.

I think the rarest of all adaptall SP lense is the 70-150 soft focus. This lens only makes an appearance on ebay on a annul basis and often fetch northward of $300.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the rarest of all adaptall SP lense is the 70-150 soft focus. This lens only makes an appearance on ebay on a annul basis and often fetch northward of $300.

Not so at least not here in UK. I've seen 8 of them float by average price £212.

Funnily enough the least often on ebay (auction) was until just recently the 70-350mm 05A (and the big 400mm but that's not surprising), with no appearances that I noticed over a couple of years, then one came up which I bought, and there is another in the listings now.
The nominally rare and definitely one of the more pricy ones, 63B 180mm has also cropped up intermittently but regularly: 9 times and also one listed at the mo. average price £346.

The availability indications on my lens list page are a fair reflection.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Rense wrote:
If have all the adaptall lenses excluding 05a,60b,360b,65b,107b,200f.
From the adapt-a-matic range only PZ-60Au,PZ-150Au are missing.

Hard to tell a favourite lens, but if I must make a choice: The wonderfull 70-150 Soft focus and 180 f/2.8 are the winners.

That must be some collection!!

Do you have ones that are not listed on the Adaptall-2.org website? I seem to remember there are some late ones not on that site, but I could be wrong.

davev8app wrote:
SXR_Mark wrote:
From personal experience, I like

52B 90mm macro
55B 500mm mirror
01A 35-80mm
23A 60-300mm
31A 200-500mm

I didn't like the 54B 300mm as it had too much colour fringing.

My excellent condition 23A is currently for sale on ebay. (Shameless plug)

Mark

i see 3 which is yours ?

This One

To answer that question I need to know what is not on adaptall.org. My post was referring to that site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Xpres wrote:

I paid 518,50 GBP, just wanted to have this lens. Great service from ebay seller The Lensdoctor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
... snip...
The nominally rare and definitely one of the more pricy ones, 63B 180mm has also cropped up intermittently but regularly: 9 times and also one listed at the mo. average price £346.

I have been looking for several years & everywhere for this lens. In the end, I could buy it for around Eu200,-- in a little township about 20 kms from where I live....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rense wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:
... snip...

I have been looking for several years & everywhere for this lens. In the end, I could buy it for around Eu200,-- in a little township about 20 kms from where I live....

Definitely worth the drive, you ask me! So did you get it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rense wrote:
SXR_Mark wrote:
Rense wrote:
If have all the adaptall lenses excluding 05a,60b,360b,65b,107b,200f.
From the adapt-a-matic range only PZ-60Au,PZ-150Au are missing.

That must be some collection!!

Do you have ones that are not listed on the Adaptall-2.org website? I seem to remember there are some late ones not on that site, but I could be wrong.

To answer that question I need to know what is not on adaptall.org. My post was referring to that site.

There is a list on the Tamron website of discontinued lenses: Click Here

It lists the following zooms, which, as far as I can see, are not on the Adaptall-2.org lists
176A (SP 28-105mm F/2.8 LD Aspherical-IF)
159A (28-70mm F/3.5-4.5)
158A (70-210mm F/4-5.6)
171A (28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 LD Aspherical IF Super)
Also Prime 01BB (24mm f2.5) - I guess the extra B means some sort of change

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about second and third, but the first and fourth definitely post-date adaptall-2.org. B&H still has NOS copies of the 28-105 f/2.8 in stock for about $500 a pop. And I own a copy of the 171A 28-200. It looks like an AF lens that takes an adaptall-2 mount. By "AF lens" I mean, it has that sort of rounded look and is made mostly from plastic. Currently its waiting for me to repair the mount. A little pin made from plastic broke off, rendering the mount unusable. I plan to take a big paper clip, unbend it, then heat up the straightened end, and sink the hot end into the plastic base the pin broke off from, then clip the metal paper clip shaft off to the correct length. Hopefully, that'll work.

Only reason why I'm even bothering with this plasticky feeling lens is because it is an aspherical lens. I have a tamron 24-70 AF aspherical lens that is excellent. So maybe this one has possibilities.

The 24mm f/2.5 01BB is listed at adaptall-2.org, but not on the title page. It's mentioned in the description of the 01B as a cosmetic update. I have this lens also. On my APS-C crop body, it out-performs my Nikkor 24mm f/2.8, but from what I've read, it tends to get softer in the corners than the Nikkor, although that Nikkor gets pretty soft in the corners also.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It lists the following zooms, which, as far as I can see, are not on the Adaptall-2.org lists
159A (28-70mm F/3.5-4.5)
158A (70-210mm F/4-5.6)

The 71A, 58A and 59A are virtually the same as their replacements 171A, 158A and 159A. I have yet to find out what the reason was for the change in lens number for the latter two, the 171A most specifically had a closer focus capability than the 71A. Tamron plugged a dedicated close focus filter for the 71A.

As well as the 01BB, there is also a 52BB which looks quite different to the 52B due to redesigned plastic body, and a similarly remodelled 51BB. And finally the 52B/BB was replaced by the 72B, which goes to 1:1 macro.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:

159A (28-70mm F/3.5-4.5)
158A (70-210mm F/4-5.6)

Oh my dear, another impulse to my Glass addiction.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Definitely worth the drive, you ask me! So did you get it?

Sure I did get him/her Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron adaptall lenses. Reply with quote

Many of my favourites have been mentioned - 52BB, 55B & BB, 23A and 51A.

I have to put in a plea for the 51B 17mm f3.5 - the original one with in-built filters (where can you find that elusive hood!!??); the misunderstood 54B 300mm f5.6 TeleMacro - a very clever design to allow macro work from a fair distance; and the 19AH which is nearly as good as the best 70-210 ever made - the Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 70-210 f3.5 Macro - and is on a par with the uber-rare Yashica ML 70-210 f4.

Finally, I must put a word in for the Tamron lens that most surprised me for its outstanding optical and build quality - the 05A 70-350 f4.5 (late model - NOT the CZ-735!); why this lens was not designated SP amazes me as it's one of the best extreme telephotos manufactured by any company. In its day at the end of the 70s, it was by far the most expensive lens made by Tamron - more costly even than the 31A 200-500mm f5.6 - costing the equivalent of £2400 in today's money. My lens remains in mint condition: super-sharp, even illumination, minimal distortion, mechanically perfect with no zoom creep despite the weight of glass; Zeiss of Oberkochen would have been proud of it... You need a tripod but for natural history (or surveillance which was its favoured use back then) it is quite brilliant and at f4.5, objects pop out of the background... It works superbly on the Fuji X-T1.

bychance wrote:
I have decided I want to start a collection of tamron lenses after having had a play with a 28mm f2.5 02B and a 35-135 mm 22A and would like some advice as to what you consider to be good performers/buys and a good progression. I want to collect the whole set eventually for use on slr and dslr via adapters.

I have a cannon 600D at the moment along with several canon, minolta, pentax, cosina, olympus but no Nikon slr bodies as yet.

These MF lenses are taking over and I need to stop buying random stuff and apply some dicipline to my new (obsession) hobby.
I have over 60 randomly purchased MF lenses now and about 14 various bodies Confused

I need guidance and help and maybe therapy..

Any thoughts on collecting and using this system would be greatly appreciated

I also love all the other brands out there...

Bought a Vivitar XV2 with a 28mm 2.8 in utterly mint condition for no sensible reason other than cheap. Its lovely

A chinon mematron (first model) with chinon 55mm f1.7, not a mark on it for more or less nothing Rolling Eyes Looks like a beast..

Oh dear Smile

Help

Steve. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Tamron lens that most surprised me for its outstanding optical and build quality - the 05A 70-350 f4.5 (late model - NOT the CZ-735!); why this lens was not designated SP amazes me

I have just recently acquired a 5A - they're scarce as I mentioned in post above. +1 on the build quality and handling, it's a fantastic piece of engineering. I have to say, though, that the few dozen pics I have snapped with it so far haven't blown me away. I was looking particularly to see how it performed at f4.5, seemed a bit soft. I would be very interested to hear about/see some of your experience with this lens.

ps this lens list (pdf) suggests the 05A had rrp of 140,000y, the 31A 190,000y

Chocks away old bean Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the misunderstood 54B 300mm f5.6 TeleMacro - a very clever design to allow macro work from a fair distance;

I think I have this lens, although there is no designation / type number anywhere on the lens. EDIT......no, this lens isn't the 'SP Macro' version - I didn't know there was such a lens so I searched for it and it's a completely different lens to this, but I'd still like to know what this one actually is?

This does focus down to 8 feet / 2.8 meters, but it doesn't say 'macro' anywhere.

I've searched for the right designation of this lens, but I can't even find a picture of another that exactly matches. It's a very good lens, whatever it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that your lens is a late version of the Adapt-A-Matic 670Au lens - they were made in 3 versions and I think your one is the final iteration. Nice lens by all accounts...

Lloydy wrote:
Quote:
the misunderstood 54B 300mm f5.6 TeleMacro - a very clever design to allow macro work from a fair distance;

I think I have this lens, although there is no designation / type number anywhere on the lens. EDIT......no, this lens isn't the 'SP Macro' version - I didn't know there was such a lens so I searched for it and it's a completely different lens to this, but I'd still like to know what this one actually is?

This does focus down to 8 feet / 2.8 meters, but it doesn't say 'macro' anywhere.

I've searched for the right designation of this lens, but I can't even find a picture of another that exactly matches. It's a very good lens, whatever it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I'll try to get out and shoot a few piccies in the next few days if the weather relents here in sunny Powys... Glad to find another 05A user; I see one is on Ebay right now for about £195 in fair condition but without its original case - there's also the older CZ-735 for sale at about £95 from Latvia.

marcusBMG wrote:
Quote:
the Tamron lens that most surprised me for its outstanding optical and build quality - the 05A 70-350 f4.5 (late model - NOT the CZ-735!); why this lens was not designated SP amazes me

I have just recently acquired a 5A - they're scarce as I mentioned in post above. +1 on the build quality and handling, it's a fantastic piece of engineering. I have to say, though, that the few dozen pics I have snapped with it so far haven't blown me away. I was looking particularly to see how it performed at f4.5, seemed a bit soft. I would be very interested to hear about/see some of your experience with this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles, I think you're right about the Tamron 670au. The one in the pic at adaptall-2.org is, I think, the middle model:

http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/670Au.html

Lloyd's appears to have the slots in the aperture ring, which are indicative of the final version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the 67Au, with a slot for the aperture numbers. It's still a very good lens, certainly for £10, I have a few 300's - Tair, Chinon, Soligor, Optomax and this Tamron certainly holds its own. It's great advantage is its lightness, it's an easy lens to hand hold compared to the Tair.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lloydy that 300 is an adaptall isn't it - early versions were simply redesigned direct from the adaptamatic. You can find similar adaptall 200mm (of which I have one see my thread comparing adaptall 200mm) and 135mm of the same kind. All were then replaced by the adaptalls listed on adaptall-2.org.

Major score if you got that or a tenner!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 54B, it's been sitting on my shelf for some time now, i am not really a tele-shooter, this topic made me grab it last saturday. There were some windsurfers doing their thing in heavy rain and wind. For this one i used the A3000.
I must say, it's a great lens, the pictures don't really need PP, even considering the really dull and rainy weather, i'll go out and use it on a sunny day asap!

Tamron SP 5.6/300 54B by René Maly, on Flickr

Speed by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Quote:

Hi - I grabbed a couple of pics at f4.5 though I forgot to take a remote switch for the Fuji so there is a bit of camera shake.

The shot of the church is the reference image, shot on the Fujinon 18 f2 before traffic forced me back to the car; the image showing the cornice on the tower was shot at 70mm and I was focusing on the drain-hole in the upper centre of the photo; the final image was at c210mm and was focused on the right side of the clock face. I'm sorry for the wonky images but I had the lens balanced precariously through the car window and was obliged to move before I could get the 350mm shot. I'll try to get out with a tripod and remote switch and set up a better test.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely image of the surfer.

This lens was curiously not a popular one when released as most photographers didn't seem to understand the cleverness of the optical formula that provided such an exceptional macro facility and led to this lens being a bit more expensive than similar 300mm f5.6s.

A few wildlife snappers were devotees but it never caught on; now of course, people are beginning to recognise it as a very fine lens. I too was guilty of ignoring it back in the early 80s as I had my trusty Zeiss 300 f4 Tele-Tessar - if only I'd known the Tamron was smaller, lighter, a lot cheaper and yet just as sharp; simply a stop slower.

TrueLoveOne wrote:
This is the 54B, it's been sitting on my shelf for some time now, i am not really a tele-shooter, this topic made me grab it last saturday. There were some windsurfers doing their thing in heavy rain and wind. For this one i used the A3000.
I must say, it's a great lens, the pictures don't really need PP, even considering the really dull and rainy weather, i'll go out and use it on a sunny day asap!

Tamron SP 5.6/300 54B by René Maly, on Flickr

Speed by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those quick test images look pretty respectably sharp Biggles. How do you like the fuji? Looks like a well reviewed camera (quick browse...)

I took these with my Pentax K-r last October. Developed from RAW, just default pp for consistency, exif says I was at 300mm.. I was resting the lens on a bean bag on a stone wall.
1. the pic, cropped a bit in LR. Crops: 2. f4.5. 3. f5.6 4. f8

I wasn't too surprised by the PF, but I was expecting the lens to show sharper.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total