Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 60B SP 300mm f/2.8 LDIF at the Motorcycle Races
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Tamron 60B SP 300mm f/2.8 LDIF at the Motorcycle Races Reply with quote

This past Sunday, I rode out to a local motorsports park to watch an afternoon of spirited motorcycle road racing. The skies were overcast all day, so contrast was somewhat soft and colors were somewhat muted.

To accompany my Tamron 60B, I selected my Sony NEX 7, set it to focus peaking, and decided that I'd use the viewfinder rather than the display for this outing. This was the correct choice. The display may be more convenient for general photography, but for fast-paced stuff it becomes awkward, if not cumbersome, to use. I also set the Continuous shutter to its "S" for "Speed" setting, allowing the camera to fire off bursts at up to 10 fps. I used this feature throughout the session and it actually made a difference in several fast-paced situations.

I wound up with about 80 keepers. I'm not going to flood the forum with so many photos, but I did upload them all to my facebook page. You can find the complete set here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.946958445358036.1073741827.100001316680785&type=1&l=d89cb24fd8

I've selected a few of the choicer images for illustration here. Please note: the Tamron 60B was set wide open to f/2.8 for all shots. The camera was set to ISO 100, aperture-priority mode, partial area metering pattern selected. I did a minimal amount of post processing, most of which I did to the raw images, and most of this had to do with tweaks in brightness and contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, the pictures and the lens.

I googled the the lens and this popped up -

you got another one, that's a great recommendation. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures have the subject a bit too centered for me but iQ wise they look the part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
The pictures have the subject a bit too centered for me but iQ wise they look the part.

To each his own. But it should be mentioned -- and I forgot to do so earlier -- every one of the above images are crops of larger images. When I crop, I pay attention to the placement of the subject because I too prefer it to be off-center. Typically I will place the subject opposite from its direction of travel. IOW, if the subject is moving from right to left, I will bias its location toward the right side of the frame. It's just a bias, though. I don't care for extremes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
ChromaticAberration wrote:

To each his own. But it should be mentioned -- and I forgot to do so earlier -- every one of the above images are crops of larger images. When I crop, I pay attention to the placement of the subject because I too prefer it to be off-center. Typically I will place the subject opposite from its direction of travel. IOW, if the subject is moving from right to left, I will bias its location toward the right side of the frame. It's just a bias, though. I don't care for extremes.

Yep but that makes total sense, it is the better way of conveying some "movement" to the photo Wink

Being crops I am even more impressed hehe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorsports photography can break more "Rules" than other genres, many prefer tight crops to showcase the rider/driver & their machine, occasionally you'll see more artistic shots.
Great shots BTW, I sure miss our Motorsport park.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like the third one with 154 in the lead. Excellent stuff. K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
I especially like the third one with 154 in the lead. Excellent stuff. K.

Yeah, me too. Managed to get three riders in one tight line. I like the group shots where I can catch pairs, or perhaps trios, in a shot. What I noticed at the track, though, was this was really difficult to do. I'd see a pair heading for the turn, but as soon as they'd get there, they'd spread out and I wasn't able to get the pair in one shot anymore. I did catch a few more. Here are some. The focus is s a bit soft on a couple of them, but that's what happens when you pre-focus on a spot on the track and then try to catch the subjects as they pass through it. Sometimes you miss, especially when you're shooting wide open.