Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 24mm f/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Tamron 24mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

I ran across this lens on eBay

Click here to see on Ebay

And came here and did a search on it. Found this topic:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-24mm-f2-5-01b-t5716,highlight,tamron+24mm.html

So, I figured that if I could pick it up for cheap, it might be worthwhile. As it turns out, I was the only one who bid on it. Chalk it up to an eBay newbie's mistake -- he had mislisted the lens (under lens hoods).

I don't have much use for it. I own a Nikon 24mm f/2.8, and a Vivitar 24-48 S1 for Canon FD, so I have this focal length covered for the two film systems I used the most.

But! I tell myself that it's faster than the Vivitar zoom, and probably sharper, so maybe I oughta hang onto it . . . for a while.

After it arrives, I'll do a direct comparison between it and the Nikkor with my Canon XS, and then we'll see just where the truth lies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great buy for this price!
very likely you know, here the info on this lens on the Adaptall site:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/01B.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read this page before. In fact, I've spent quite a bit of time going through the info at the adaptall-2 site. It's a great resource for Tamron aficionados.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to its arrival. I'm really curious how it performs vs. my 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sell that Vivitar S-1 24-48 short. It's very good. The new Tamron looks nice too. I have a Panagor (Kiron) 24mm f/2.5 that I have yet to try out. Maybe this weekend...

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice bargain!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I was expecting some last-minute activity, but it never materialized. I placed my bid with 12 seconds to go, and I was the only bidder. I'm really glad the eBay newbie placed his auction in the "Lens Hoods" category. Cool

Because people do dumb stuff like this, I almost always conduct my searches from eBay's home page. You just never can tell where folks will put things. As another example, just a couple days ago, I won an auction for a very clean Canon FTbn that was list listed under "Vintage Movie and Photography". Only a few bids, and those guys were bottom feeders. I won it for $17 and change. The seller guarantees everything works, also. But hey, even if it's broken, it's worth a lot more than $17 just for its parts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

At any rate, I'm looking forward to its arrival. I'm really curious how it performs vs. my 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor.

Cooltouch

Congrats on the cool acquisition. I'm very curious as to how it performs when compared to your Nikon 24mm f/2.8. My guess it that it will do well. I've read mixed reviews about the Nikon 24mm f/2, but mine has performed very well. This weekend, I'm planning on taking my Panagor (Kiron) 24mm f/2.5 out for it's maiden voyage. Looking at it's superb construction and multi-coating, not to mention that it was designed by Kiron, I expect it to do very well.

Russ (Kiron Kid)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Grab Mike

I think you will find you have a lens worth quite a bit more than you just paid for it.
These Tamron Primes are usually pretty competent performers. My problem with them has always been getting a decent adaptal mount.
They all seem to be sort fiddly. Of course I'm usually doing C/Y so the very worst of the adaptall II mounts.

Best Luck
~A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Congrats on the cool acquisition. I'm very curious as to how it performs when compared to your Nikon 24mm f/2.8. My guess it that it will do well. I've read mixed reviews about the Nikon 24mm f/2, but mine has performed very well. This weekend, I'm planning on taking my Panagor (Kiron) 24mm f/2.5 out for it's maiden voyage. Looking at it's superb construction and multi-coating, not to mention that it was designed by Kiron, I expect it to do very well.

Hey Russ,

I've seen lens tests done by folks other than those who do it on a regular basis, who get way too picky IMO. They'll slam lenses for flaws that are so tiny that these alleged defects aren't even visible in an 8x10 looking at it from two feet away. I find that I'm a bit more tolerant. I'll wager your Nikkor 24 is a lens most anyone would love to own. I sure wouldn't mind it, but I can't justify the difference in cost, especially since it's the telephoto range where lens speed is the most useful.

What I'd like to see is a comparison between your Kiron and Nikkor. That would be enlightening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Congrats for your buying, nice price Smile
Actually i am selling mine for ~65euros.

I am waiting for your tests, i am curious Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Russ wrote:

Hey Russ,

I've seen lens tests done by folks other than those who do it on a regular basis, who get way too picky IMO. They'll slam lenses for flaws that are so tiny that these alleged defects aren't even visible in an 8x10 looking at it from two feet away. I find that I'm a bit more tolerant. I'll wager your Nikkor 24 is a lens most anyone would love to own. I sure wouldn't mind it, but I can't justify the difference in cost, especially since it's the telephoto range where lens speed is the most useful.

What I'd like to see is a comparison between your Kiron and Nikkor. That would be enlightening.

Michael

I quite agree. Most pf these lenses will deliver good to excellent results. Even for large prints. More often, it's "operator error" that messes them up and influemces the negative reviews.

Russ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived today. As it turns out, it is a model 01BB, which according to the adaptall-2 website, is a cosmetic update of the 01B -- same optical formula.

It was purchased new in 1996, and looks to have been used seldom. Almost mint condition, perfect glass, silky smooth focus, crisp click stops on the aperture ring. It has a nice heft to it, about the same as my Nikkor 24/2.8.

I was out of town all day today, and didn't get back in until late, so I've played around with it some, but that's about it. A more serious and in-depth look will have to wait until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I had a chance do a quick test of the Tamron and compare it to my Nikkor 24mm. First, the details:

The camera is a Canon XS (1000D) 1.6x crop body, which means that my tests will not be indicating much when it comes to edge or corner sharpness. I would need a full-frame camera for that.

I mounted the XS to a tripod, and had the timer set to 10 seconds. I set the camera's ISO to 100 (its lowest setting). I used Live View at 10x magnification for focusing accuracy and also to pre-raise the mirror. For all exposures, I focused on precisely the same subject (an oak tree), which was located approximately 50 meters from where I was standing. I chose a subject such that there would be image detail in the foreground, middle distance, and far distance. This would give me an indication of depth of field at various aperture settings.

The first three photos were taken at f/2.5, f/8, and f/16.

Tamron 24mm @ f/2.5

Tamron 24mm @ f/8

Tamron 24mm @ f/16

Reducing the images to 900x600 and then converting to jpg doesn't help much with evaluation because the fine details are not visible at all. But even at this level of detail, one can see that there is a bit of ghosting, I guess you call it, present at f/2.5. Despite the overcast conditions, contrast is good.

Next, I have three images that are 100% crops, assembled from the above three images and three identical images taken with the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8. This particular Nikkor is an AIs, S/N 716xxx. You might find the results surprising.

In this image, the Tamron's ghosting is evident (check out the white car in the background), and the Nikkor's contrast is somewhat better, but both lenses appear to be equally sharp.

By f/8, ghosting is gone in the Tamron, sharpness and contrast are excellent with both lenses. In the jpegs, sharpness again appears to be about the same, but in the original RAW files, the Tamron is actually a bit sharper than the Nikkor.

By f/16, it is quite clear that the Tamron is sharper than the Nikkor. I didn't expect this. Not by much, I'll grant that. But it is clearly evident.

I did not test for distortions. Next time. In addition to being at least on par with the Nikkor in terms of both sharpness and contrast, the Tamron focuses slightly closer as well. The Nikkor's scale goes just a fraction of a turn past 1'/0.3m, whereas the Tamron's goes to a fraction of a turn past 10"/0.25m.

Nice lens. Guess I'll keep it. Cool

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great price for a beautiful lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results, if the Tamron is better than a Nikkor then maybe a sigma super wide 24mm f2.8 can equal the Nikkor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Interesting results, if the Tamron is better than a Nikkor then maybe a sigma super wide 24mm f2.8 can equal the Nikkor

Doubtful, but who knows? I surely didn't expect this result. I've always been very happy with the results I've gotten with my 24 Nikkor, so I don't believe I have a sub-par copy.

Also, it's worth repeating, and perhaps emphasizing, that this test does not give results for edge or corner sharpness. Neither did I make any comparisons with regards to distortion. So, while the Tamron looks very promising as an alternative to the Nikkor at this point, I won't know for sure until I've had a chance to do a full-frame test. And that will require that I use film, since the only body I have that will give full-frame results for these two lenses is my Nikon F2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have the sigma 24mm superwide and am happy with it, but do not have another 24mm lens to compare..so for me it's a case of "what I don't know, I don't miss".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks alright. You satisfied with it? I took a few frames today with my Panagor (Kiron) 24mm f/2.5 today. I'll post the results as soon as I have them souped & scanned.

Russ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Russ,

At this point, I'm more than satisfied with the Tamron. Really the only point where I might find fault with it is the bit of flare -- or ghosting, or whatever it's called -- it exhibits wide open.

Besides, because it's a Tamron, I can use it with my Canon F-1, which I find to be most appealing. Recently I purchased a Vivitar S1 24-48mm f/3.8 for the F-1, but it's nice also having a fast prime.

I look forward to seeing some pics taken with your Kiron.

Excalibur, hey if you're happy with it, then that's what counts most -- at least that's the way I've always looked at things like this.

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 24mm is a very nice lens. It's the only 24mm I pack in my bag.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i was looking around a charity shop today and i spotted an old canon film camera with a Tamron adaptall 2 lense so i bought it, when i got home i looked in the tamron lense case and i realised i had also bought a canon 50mm 1:8 lense all for the princely sum of £8
They are both fd mount however and my canon 650d is as you know an ef mount, is it worth hanging onto the lenses or just the tamron? as i have been advised the canon wouldnt work well once the distance of an adaptor ring was added.

Last edited by ande on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ande, welcome to the forum. It would have been best for you to start a separate thread, but no matter. In order for the people here at the forum to help you, we'll need some more information.

Using an FD-EOS adapter can work well under the right circumstances, but in other situations, the adapter doesn't work so well. It depends a lot on the specific lens you're trying to use with it. Those adapters that have removable elements, though, make good macro extension tubes, so you are able to use FD/FL glass as macro lenses, and I've have very good results doing this.

Just to satisfy everyone's curiosity, why don't you tell us what specific Canon model you picked up, and also which Tamron lens you found?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, the reason i commented on this thread is because it is the same lense as this thread refers to, the 24mm 2.5, it was on a canon t70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ande wrote:
Hi, i was looking around a charity shop today and i spotted an old canon film camera with a Tamron adaptall 2 lense so i bought it, when i got home i looked in the tamron lense case and i realised i had also bought a canon 50mm 1:8 lense all for the princely sum of £8
They are both fd mount however and my canon 650d is as you know an ef mount, is it worth hanging onto the lenses or just the tamron? as i have been advised the canon wouldnt work well once the distance of an adaptor ring was added.

I've picked up adaptall lenses in similar circumstances but great thing is that you can always swap out the mounts for something else and especially for Canon EF, 'dummy' adaptall-eos adapters are pretty cheap on eBay.

Back to the original topic, great to see the lens holding its own vs the Nikkor. Often overlooked is the small size and the short MFD of 0.25m!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread that Ande revived, but yes, I was quite surprised by how well my Tamron 24mm f/2.5 performs. Makes me wonder why Tamron didn't designate it as an SP lens. Sure performs like one.

Ande, for £8, you got a great deal. The Canon T70 can be picked up nowadays for cheap at places like eBay, for like $40 or $50, often less. But it is still a good, solid picture taker with some very useful features. The Tamron 24mm is often undervalued, in my opinion. The one I own -- well, I gave some details earlier in this thread, but I paid $40 for it. It had received no bids so I picked it up for the opening bid amount, and that was because the seller mis-listed it under "lens hoods". So nobody who might have been interested in it even saw it. Just looking on US eBay right now, the prices are all over the place, ranging from a buy-it-now of $86 to a b-i-n of $200. Go figure. And you can add another $15 or $20 for the Adaptall 2 mount. So, as you can see, you did really well.

So go load some film in that puppy and get out there and enjoy.