Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Wide Angle Russian Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Super Wide Angle Russian Lenses Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Wide angle Russian lens, but not fisheye.

So far I've come across,

Mir-47 20mm F2.5

Mir-20 20mm F3.5

Arsat 20mm F2.8

Does anyone have any experience with any of these lenses?

Can you recommend any of them? Or have some alternatives?

It will be used on an APS-C sensor for video work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had MIR-20 once, that copy wasn't in pair with any lens from good brands, like Nikon, Zeiss , Konica etc.
Many people report same seems quality control wasn't strongest part on them, due some other people report positive experience.
Why Russians ? Due low budget ? For a little more you can buy Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f4 lens with Exakta mount if lens a little abused, scratches etc price can be low really and perfect lens for any usage including video.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know these lenses but googled for some pics by them.

Arsat 20mm 2.8 seems to be quite good. Not perfect but good.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcsp76/sets/72157622481994302/with/3995855157/

Mir 47 seems to have a bad flare control for a wide angle but looks also good with a nice character.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157620334141135/with/6162181106/

Mir 20 seems to be the worst... the uglyest bokeh I've ever seen and sharpness seems to be under average Very Happy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atheist_lenses/sets/72157623971177569/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_wood/sets/72157611163522554/with/3110505779/

If you wan't to spend a little more... Tokina RMC 17mm F3.5 is great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Arsat 20 mm f/2.8. I liked it a lot. Apparently it shows quite pronounced complex (moustache) distortion on Full Frame. The corners are cut off on APS-C and the residual barrel distortion, although significant, is easily corrected. The lens is very sharp at f/8 - f/11 although there is quite a lot of CA at high contrast borders.

If you search the forum using "Arsat 20mm" you will find several threads. Some of my own pictures are not too great - I had only just started shooting RAW and I never got the best out of the ACR converter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Why Russians ? Due low budget ? For a little more you can buy Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f4 lens with Exakta mount if lens a little abused, scratches etc price can be low really and perfect lens for any usage including video.

I'm building up a set of Russians because I think they look great, The ones that I have so far anyway.

And f4 is too slow for my needs, I need it to be a wide angle on my Canon 7D for shooting interiors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyser wrote:
Attila wrote:

I'm building up a set of Russians because I think they look great, The ones that I have so far anyway.

And f4 is too slow for my needs, I need it to be a wide angle on my Canon 7D for shooting interiors.

All cheap super wide rarer crap wide open than good one, may John suggestion Arsat is acceptable at wide open give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use the Arsat 20 mm wide open. IIRC it was not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the older (huge dished front) and newer (smaller, petaled, MC) versions of the Mir 20M 3.5/20mm. Maybe I've been lucky with the quality control issues but my copies are both quite sharp and capture some great color. The bokeh is indeed nervous in some circumstances but like any lens quality you just need to learn to use it effectively.

I actually just posted some samples in the gallery with mine: http://forum.mflenses.com/mc-mir-20m-and-sony-a850-florida-with-stasia-t47431.html

Here is a sample from that post along with the center crop of her necklace:

I think the detail holds up fairly well for an older super-wide.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you want them for video work, take a look at the Russian 35mm movie lenses, they are both fast and ultrawide. Adapters are available from Poland but not particularly cheap.

I picked up a nice 2/18 lens from a Konvas camera for 13ukp last week, it is missing the mount but I am going to remount it for NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I don't know these lenses but googled for some pics by them.

Arsat 20mm 2.8 seems to be quite good. Not perfect but good.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcsp76/sets/72157622481994302/with/3995855157/

Mir 47 seems to have a bad flare control for a wide angle but looks also good with a nice character.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157620334141135/with/6162181106/

Mir 20 seems to be the worst... the uglyest bokeh I've ever seen and sharpness seems to be under average Very Happy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atheist_lenses/sets/72157623971177569/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_wood/sets/72157611163522554/with/3110505779/

If you wan't to spend a little more... Tokina RMC 17mm F3.5 is great.

Or better still, the Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 3.5/17 is another option, on some cameras it performs better than the Tamron.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are excellent idea tamron sp and tokina 17 , especially tokina that is trully a gem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking around, and the Arsat seems to be sharp enough wide open.

Hoping someone is going to come along and tell me that the Mir 47 is perfect Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know. Here is the manual focus lens forum...
But... Why don't you use a 18-55mm IS kit lens (F3.5) ?
Probably better than these oldies, cheapest and with IS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potard wrote:
Hi, I know. Here is the manual focus lens forum...
But... Why don't you use a 18-55mm IS kit lens (F3.5) ?
Probably better than these oldies, cheapest and with IS.

The kit lens is horrible. I have no need for IS. But for my video work I like to be able to offer a unique look.

Especially for narrative film making, It's something that can and does set me apart from other cinematographers.

I love the look that the helios 44 lens produces, it looks great, it looks like how great movies look (With a well done color grade of course).

Modern Canon lenses really are no comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
both are excellent idea tamron sp and tokina 17 , especially tokina that is trully a gem.

Not wide open it is'nt! Wink I have both and the Tokina is terrible wide open (soft and lots of CA), but the Tamron is great wide open. So you can really only use the Tokina from f5.6 onwards, whereas the Tamron can be used at any aperture without worry.
The Tokinas only plus is its built in filter thread...I had to remove the glass from an old UV filter and epoxy it to the front of my Tamron to give it a filter thread. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 my Mir-20... it's sharpness is good enough for landscapes IMHO, but rubbish for portraits Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kukhuvud wrote:
I <3 my Mir-20... it's sharpness is good enough for landscapes IMHO, but rubbish for portraits Wink

Can you show me some samples of the portraits wide open?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:

Not wide open it is'nt! Wink I have both and the Tokina is terrible wide open (soft and lots of CA), but the Tamron is great wide open. So you can really only use the Tokina from f5.6 onwards, whereas the Tamron can be used at any aperture without worry.
The Tokinas only plus is its built in filter thread...I had to remove the glass from an old UV filter and epoxy it to the front of my Tamron to give it a filter thread. Confused

YES Laughing I did never try it any of them wide open

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Tokina is very soft wide open, I'll have to dig around my images from it, see what I can find.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MIR 20 is ok, lots of CA wide open, but is better when stopped down, also the iris is not that great, one blade lags behind the others when stopping down, the color is nice though.
The only real good shot I have before lending it to a friend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Arsat and Mir-20. They are two very different lenses from handling to image quality to build quality.

My review of the Arsat is posted here: http://www.prime35.com/arsat-h-20mm-f-2-8/ (lots of sample pictures).

Sarpness: Arsat - very soft wide open, sft at f/4. Reasonable by f/8, best at f/11 (but far corners still soft on full-frame). Mir-20 - sharp from wide open, corner to corner; by f/8 it's about perfect.

Colors: very good colors from both lenses!

Contrast: Mir-20 is a more contrasty lens, but there's enough contrast with Arsat, too.

Flare: both lenses flare, but in different ways. The Mir has the worst situation here because of its huge protruding front element: if there's a light source in or just outside the frame, the corners of the image (on full-frame body) may be filled with really bad flare.

Build quality: Arsat is quite terrible, Mir-20 has great construction and build quality. The Arsat is lighter though, but my sample has uneven and rather rough focusing feel. (I bought both lenses new by the way).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:

wide open it's absolut ok on a NEX and in my eyes equal to the Tamron.. stopped down it beats the Tamron. Maybe it has a bit more problems with CA, but nothing which couldn't be removed per software. I had both.. keept the Tokina and sold the Tamron..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:

wide open it's absolut ok on a NEX and in my eyes equal to the Tamron.. stopped down it beats the Tamron. Maybe it has a bit more problems with CA, but nothing which couldn't be removed per software. I had both.. keept the Tokina and sold the Tamron..

Well perhaps you simply have an exceptional copy of the Tokina, but mine definitely sucks WO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you got a really bad copy and your Tamron was much better than mine.. you never know Wink