Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Wide Angle Russian Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:
both are excellent idea tamron sp and tokina 17 , especially tokina that is trully a gem.

Not wide open it is'nt! Wink I have both and the Tokina is terrible wide open (soft and lots of CA), but the Tamron is great wide open. So you can really only use the Tokina from f5.6 onwards, whereas the Tamron can be used at any aperture without worry.

wide open it's absolut ok on a NEX and in my eyes equal to the Tamron.. stopped down it beats the Tamron. Maybe it has a bit more problems with CA, but nothing which couldn't be removed per software. I had both.. keept the Tokina and sold the Tamron..

+1

@DSG
Do you have the RMC Version?
I heard that the at least with the 24mm and 28mm counterparts are a lot better in the RMC versions.
My Tokina has a decent sharpness wide open. CAs are visible wide open but not field relevant - anyway the Tokina RMC 17mm absolutely kills the kit-lenses wide open...
Maybe you have decentered copy!?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try my Tokina wide open when the sun appears. Could well be there is a difference in performance between copies, it happens, I had a Vivitar Series 1 2.3/135 that is a well regarded lens, my copy was awful, unusable until f8, whereas others have much better copies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ForenSeil"]
Tedat wrote:
DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:
both are excellent idea tamron sp and tokina 17 , especially tokina that is trully a gem.

Not wide open it is'nt! Wink I have both and the Tokina is terrible wide open (soft and lots of CA), but the Tamron is great wide open. So you can really only use the Tokina from f5.6 onwards, whereas the Tamron can be used at any aperture without worry.

wide open it's absolut ok on a NEX and in my eyes equal to the Tamron.. stopped down it beats the Tamron. Maybe it has a bit more problems with CA, but nothing which couldn't be removed per software. I had both.. keept the Tokina and sold the Tamron..

+1

"@DSG
Do you have the RMC Version?"

Yes, sorry should have mentioned that earlier.

"I heard that the at least with the 24mm and 28mm counterparts are a lot better in the RMC versions."

I also have the Tokina 24mm f2.8 RMC...I'd say its about the same as the 17mm sharpness wise...I dont use it as I much prefer to use my Carl Zeiss 28/2.8 Distagon T* instead Wink

"My Tokina has a decent sharpness wide open. CAs are visible wide open but not field relevant - anyway the Tokina RMC 17mm absolutely kills the kit-lenses wide open...
Maybe you have decentered copy!?"

Dont know, I just know the Tamron is the better lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just some samples with the Mir 20M. As said before, perfect center sharpness from wide open. Contrasty and nice colors. I think the bokeh is actually nice for being a UWA since it has little bokeh-CA and thus renders beautiful background highlights for my type of shooting. There is some CA and soft corners on full frame sensor, although easily beats the Flektogon 20 2.8 I have tried earlier. The distortion is slightly mustache shaped, but corrects relatively okay in ACR. CA is very easy to correct.

Samples below with Sony A900 are totally uncorrected for CA and distortion. I normally only set WB, levels, rescale and a touch of USM. All shot hand held at wide open if not remarked. Click on them for critical viewing.

Creamy bokeh and very sharp. Magnified nose blurriness is from hand shake.

Creamy bokeh and very sharp, look at that eye in magnification.

Shot at F/11

CA and distortion torture test. Wide open, no corrections. Focus on the forgotten christmas decoration beside the door.

Same at f/8 no corrections

Wide open shot again, now corrected in ACR with distortion, vignetting, and CA. Vignetting correction makes the tree branches ugly though and perhaps kills some of the sharpness at focus, but there is plenty to take from.

I think it is nice on FF but would would rock on APS-C with it's impressive center sharpness. Soft corners, mustache distortion and vignetting would be more or less cropped away and any remaining CA is very easy to correct.

Sorry for all dark images, I have a tendency to avoid blown highlights. Perhaps it is not that smart with UWA:s.

/T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info so far everyone! Really appreciate it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
I have just some samples with the Mir 20M. As said before, perfect center sharpness from wide open. Contrasty and nice colors...
+1

Last edited by Pancolart on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

just try to figured it out what gem is and so did increase my bid on this beauty. after having the beauty sigma 24/2.8, i figured it out using in 2x crop factor will not made that lens go wide so will try this tokina sl rmc 17