Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super MultiC Takumar 85mm 1.8 vs. Konica Hexanon AR 85mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Super MultiC Takumar 85mm 1.8 vs. Konica Hexanon AR 85mm 1.8 Reply with quote

Which is the best? Any idea?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that is cheaper and for sale

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak on the Hexanon only. I find it quite sharp and very usable at full aperture, but lacking in bokeh quality. If you are very careful and manage your background, it can be okay. Of the following, I believe the first was taken at f/1.8; the others just to demonstrate.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty much same , I had auto, smc, super Takumar in M42 and still have SMC Pentax K and Konica EE and AE .
Honestly you can't go wrong even with Vivitar 85mm...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to Attila's list. I'm thinking you have a mirrorless camera? Given the cost of the Hexanon, and the Takumar not being far behind, there are other less costly options - in addition to Attila's suggestions, I'd highly recommend the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.3 which is a razor even at full aperture. The actual focal length is 87mm. The Series 1 lenses were prone to CA, but with the CA controls of my NEX, it is only evident in extreme conditions. It too has been an expensive lens, but the non-M42 mount versions typically went cheaper... but maybe now with mirrorless they've gone up. On the less expensive side is the Jupiter-9 which I'm surprised Attila didn't mention. You may have to buy a few before getting a good one.

With my recent J-9 purchase I've been considering a comparison with my other lenses in that range which would include two J-9s, one M39 and one RF; the Series 1; Hexanon; and maybe Meyer Plimotar. I could include the Cyclop, although it is not a reasonable substitute for the others.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots you got there. I own the SMC Takumar 1.8/85 and was wondering if the Hexanon would be complementary.
I also have the J9, but I don't use it often for lack of sharpness.

quidam

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having already two very good lenses in that focal length, I wouldn't spend money on another one which, even if slightly different in render, will not represent a great leap in quality.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that the smc takumar 85mm f1.8 is a superior 6 element lens while the smc takumar 85mm F1.9
is an inferior 5 element lens. The difference is mainly in close up range performance.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
It should be noted that the smc takumar 85mm f1.8 is a superior 6 element lens while the smc takumar 85mm F1.9
is an inferior 5 element lens. The difference is mainly in close up range performance.

Superior and has an additional element, or superior because it has an additional element?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

Superior and has an additional element, or superior because it has an additional element?

Superior and it happens to have an additional lens...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Attila meant the Vivitar 85/1.8 preset, which is great fun (but needs a contrast boost in pp):

Watercress 1945 22 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Edit: Or even the Samyang 85/1.4 which also appears as a Vivitar, apparently!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I thought this, thank you Graham!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I don't think of my ST 85/1.9 as being inferior... Smile
Here's are some wide open test I did a while ago, I don't use it much right now as I've been trying out other lenses, and with the hostes limits I purged everything else, but it is a beautiful chunk of glass.

Another option is the S-M-C 105/2.8 it's cheaper, smaller, but its IQ is very good, it's very under rated.

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Here's a wide open test I did a while ago, I don't use it much right now as I've been trying out other lenses, but it is a beautiful chunk of glass.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6220/6225604982_46b0684502_b_d.jpg

Super 85/1.8 and S-M-C 85/1.9 are definitely not inferior to S-M-C and SMC 85/1.8! Softer wide open, yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. The 85 hexanon has low contrast. The zoom 75/150 f/45 hexanon has more contrast and is a very good lens.
But in 70/90 range, almost all are good.
vivitar 1,8? Heavy, low contrast, not very sharp, less than normal saturated colors, swirl boket. It,s in another league. Needs a lot of pp.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Here's a wide open test I did a while ago, I don't use it much right now as I've been trying out other lenses, but it is a beautiful chunk of glass.

Super 85/1.8 and S-M-C 85/1.9 are definitely not inferior to S-M-C and SMC 85/1.8! Softer wide open, yes.

They are inferior partially because they are softer wide open. The 85 smc f1.8 is an outstanding optic.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

They are inferior partially because they are softer wide open. The 85 smc f1.8 is an outstanding optic.

softer wide open true, but inferior? I like my Super Tak 1.9/85 very much, outstanding oof rendering, my S-M-C 1.8/85 is sharper wide open but admittedly I have not used it much

an earlier thread with samples taken with the Super Takumar f1.9/85 on Pentax K-x, mostly wide open http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=30134

my latest wide open pic taken a few days ago on NEX5N:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the Hexanon and S-M-C Takumar 85mm f/1.8 lenses, I slightly prefer the Takumar.

1. MFD of the Hexanon is 1m, while the Takumar is 0.85m;
2. You can easily get a helicoid m42 to NEX adapter, that allows you focus even closer, to semi-macro range;
3. The Takumar has 8 aperture blades, while the Hexanon only has 6;

Iris DSC03378 by Brian Zhou, on Flickr

Iris DSC03396 by Brian Zhou, on Flickr

Distance DSC03387 by Brian Zhou, on Flickr

Distance DSC03415 by Brian Zhou, on Flickr

A few more samples in the same Flickr album.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that none of them measures up to the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro. Or the Bokina, either -- far as that goes. Just sayin'. Although I wouldn't mind owning an SMC Tak 85/1.8. Cool

Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro, Canon XS DSLR @ ISO 100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, in this case, a lower measurement indicate something the higher-measuring cannot achieve, i.e., more capabilities, a wider range of usage. Other than that long helical incorporation is very convenient.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
However, in this case, a lower measurement indicate something the higher-measuring cannot achieve, i.e., more capabilities, a wider range of usage. Other than that long helical incorporation is very convenient.

I purposely included that last shot of a rose, shot with the Tamron 90 wide open, to show that soft images can be achieved with that lens as well. Well, sorta soft. Much of that rose is in sharp focus, but much of it isn't also. And the background is totally blown. So it ends up looking like it was shot with, say, a Nikkor 105/2.5, instead of a macro 90/2.5.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
in addition to Attila's suggestions, I'd highly recommend the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.3 which is a razor even at full aperture. The actual focal length is 87mm.

Are you referring to the VS1 90/2.5 Macro (the VS1 "Bokina")?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
woodrim wrote:
in addition to Attila's suggestions, I'd highly recommend the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.3 which is a razor even at full aperture. The actual focal length is 87mm.

Yes I was. Sorry that I confused the aperture with the f/2.3 135mm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Yes I was. Sorry that I confused the aperture with the f/2.3 135mm.

Stunning samples! Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I suspect that none of them measures up to the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro. Or the Bokina, either -- far as that goes. Just sayin'. Although I wouldn't mind owning an SMC Tak 85/1.8. Cool

The OP was asking 85mm f/1.8 here. I have the Tamron and Tokina too. But in non-macro situations especially for portrait, there're definitely advantages of the 85mm f/1.8. You don't have to do macro to get good bokeh. The focus throw is also more suited for general photography.