Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super MultiC Takumar 85mm 1.8 vs. Konica Hexanon AR 85mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
woodrim wrote:

in addition to Attila's suggestions, I'd highly recommend the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.3 which is a razor even at full aperture. The actual focal length is 87mm.

Are you referring to the VS1 90/2.5 Macro (the VS1 "Bokina")?

Yes I was. Sorry that I confused the aperture with the f/2.3 135mm.

Understood, and I also thought of the possible confusion with the VS1 135/2.3 (since f/2.3 is such a distinctively odd max aperture). Smile

I used to have the VS1 90/2.5 Macro, but no longer -- however, I still have the "other Bokina", the Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro, and I do know that both lenses are capable of not only great sharpness but also great bokeh, and not just at macro or close-to-macro distances.

I have no Hexagon experience (of any sort), having been a K-mount guy since the Late Stone Age (mid-1970's), but I am quite familiar with the K-mount version of the SMC 85/1.8 -- that is one superb lens design for portraiture, and one lens that I wish I still had in the arsenal here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:

The OP was asking 85mm f/1.8 here. I have the Tamron and Tokina too. But in non-macro situations especially for portrait, there're definitely advantages of the 85mm f/1.8. You don't have to do macro to get good bokeh. The focus throw is also more suited for general photography.

Right you are - so easy to get carries away.

fwcetus wrote:
woodrim wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
woodrim wrote:

in addition to Attila's suggestions, I'd highly recommend the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.3 which is a razor even at full aperture. The actual focal length is 87mm.

Are you referring to the VS1 90/2.5 Macro (the VS1 "Bokina")?

Yes I was. Sorry that I confused the aperture with the f/2.3 135mm.

Understood, and I also thought of the possible confusion with the VS1 135/2.3 (since f/2.3 is such a distinctively odd max aperture). Smile

I used to have the VS1 90/2.5 Macro, but no longer -- however, I still have the "other Bokina", the Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro, and I do know that both lenses are capable of not only great sharpness but also great bokeh, and not just at macro or close-to-macro distances.

I have no Hexagon experience (of any sort), having been a K-mount guy since the Late Stone Age (mid-1970's), but I am quite familiar with the K-mount version of the SMC 85/1.8 -- that is one superb lens design for portraiture, and one lens that I wish I still had in the arsenal here.

The 85mm focal length is another loaded range with many very good lenses. I had the Hexanon and while it was very sharp, I didn't enjoy it for reasons I may not even fully understand. One reason I know was that it didn't feel good to me when using. I recently, some months ago, got a Nikkor 1.8/85 and am not yet sure I will favor that lens either, but probably more so than the Hexanon. If sharpness was the onl consideration, the Hexanon would be behind only the Series 1 in my collection. The Jupiter f/2 is not so far away in speed, but many speak of it being soft at f/2, which is not my experience; I've been fortunate with the two I have being sharp. I have a Cyclop and well, Cyclop is Cyclop. My Primotar is the slowest and weakest sharpness wise. Going forward the Series 1 will remain tops despite being a little slower. The Jupiter is next... but maybe the Nikkor. Cyclop if for those special moods and the Primotar stays because I have a Meyer collection.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm very happy with my Hexanon 1.8/85 (on MFT Olympus Pen). Here some arguments:
Small and thats why easely to have always with me.
In my eyes very sharp.
Ideal focal distance for MFT.
Only some examples fro today:

#4 (wide opened)