Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summicron -R 1:2 / 50 mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtstrom wrote:
I compared the older one a while ago on the Canon EOS 5D at f2 with the Planar 50/1.4 C/Y MM, the Zuiko 55/1.2, the Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S (not AI like written in the picture) at close distance. The Summicron won by far.

It's a known fact that the Planar 50/1.4 is weak at close distance. It really shines at longer focus distances where it beats most of the competition.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the absurd thing is this:
a 2/50 costs more than 1.4/50
6 elements costs more than 7 elements
if you must use 1.4 to take a shot with summicron you grab on to the tram

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there must be something in it or it wouldn't be so damn expensive Laughing

Mal, I'm glad you're enjoying your new lens Cool

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a scene of a film: police accademy 5
when Nick Lassard write dork on Harris' brest ....
ahahahahahah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta be careful which version of the Summicron you're talking about. I used to have the first version. It was a great lens in almost all respects, but the color rendition was paler (more pale?) than my 28mm 2.8 Elmarit (2nd version). So much so that in a series of images taken of the same subject in the same light it was very noticeable. I sold that lens and got myself the second version Summicron. Colors are much more vivid and generally match the colors I get from the Elmarit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krankykraut wrote:
You gotta be careful which version of the Summicron you're talking about. I used to have the first version. It was a great lens in almost all respects, but the color rendition was paler (more pale?) than my 28mm 2.8 Elmarit (2nd version). So much so that in a series of images taken of the same subject in the same light it was very noticeable. I sold that lens and got myself the second version Summicron. Colors are much more vivid and generally match the colors I get from the Elmarit.

I second that. I have both the 1st and 2nd version of the Summicron 50 and the latter gives much, much better sharpness and colour rendition. The old one lacks contrast and gives more mushy shadows, it requires stopping down for really good sharpness.

Zeiss and Leica walk different roads regarding lens character; just look up some images of both and see what suits your needs/desires best.

My Planar gives bright colours and contrasty 3D images, as if someone put a sticker on the photo. The Leica provides more minute detail and more subtle tonals. Its bokeh is more well-behaved.

The Zeiss is not so forgiving if you miss focus or choose an inappropriate background and the Cron is a better workhorse.

Frankly, I think the Summilux is a better comparison to the Planar 1.4, not just because it has the same speed, but also because of its quirks: its bokeh can be interesting at times and the hit or miss is more pronounced, like the Planar does.