Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summicron 90/2 vs SMC Pentax 85/1.8 vs Bokina
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I am going to hijack this thread again. This is not my photograph, but by Simon Utak. He lists a Minolta 58 f/1.4 producing it. This is some crazy bokeh. I have never seen anything like this come out of my copy, which tends to lean toward smoother bokeh than the other lenses I have in that focal length. I am putting this out there as it seems that your results may vary.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95859572@N06/53075958972

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I’ve seen some crazy bokeh images in this album. I think this lens had been dissembled one day, and put back together wrongly. There’s no way this lens produced this bokeh out of the factory.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Had some time this afternoon, so here a bokeh comparison in a different setting: a busy background with lots of foliage.

comparisonbokehfoliage by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Leitz produces cool colors compared to the other 2 lenses (which render fairly warm by the way).

The differences in the shape of the aperture seem to be a bit less evident in this setting. I think the three lenses handle this complex background pretty well.
The Leitz delivers the softest backgrounds IMO, but not by a huge margin.

hugely different tone from the Leitz vs Pentax and Bokina. Did you use AWB or did you set it to a specific value?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did an infinity test with the Pentax to see whether it can also be used as a landscape lens:

Infinity performance by devoscasper, on Flickr

The lens shows already very good resolution wide open, with a pinch of glow. Corners are already pretty good, about perfect @ f/4 on a 42+ mp sensor, although they improve a bit more @ f/5.6.
No problem to use this lens as a landscape lens if you want to.

2 shots wide open:
SMCPentax8518_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr
SMCPentax8518_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent results on the corner 5.6, the question is: will you keep it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
excellent results on the corner 5.6, the question is: will you keep it?

Yes, this is a keeper. There’s nothing I don’t like about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is how much would it be worth to keep several 85-105mm FL lenses ?
I've found the best on this range ,the FD 85mm 1.8 , so I'm trying to find a reason to keep many other lenses in this FL range, except some very character ones (Komura 1.8 Wich is really different , Tamron 2.5 because of the macro and .... )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you have a Super-Takumar 85/1.9 or better Super-Multi-Coated 85/1.9 to compare with these. The character is quite different from 85/1.8, softer and glowy wide open, more aberrations/different bokeh, I remember most how easily it snaps into focus. http://forum.mflenses.com/super-multi-coated-takumar-11-9-85mm-m42-rare-lens-t46061.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I wish you have a Super-Takumar 85/1.9 or better Super-Multi-Coated 85/1.9 to compare with these. The character is quite different from 85/1.8, softer and glowy wide open, more aberrations/different bokeh, I remember most how easily it snaps into focus. http://forum.mflenses.com/super-multi-coated-takumar-11-9-85mm-m42-rare-lens-t46061.html

I used to have one. I share your view.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've found the best on this range ,the FD 85mm 1.8 , so I'm trying to find a reason to keep many other lenses in this FL range, except some very character ones (Komura 1.8 Wich is really different , Tamron 2.5 because of the macro and .... )

Depends on the severity of your GAS 😉

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Depends on the severity of your GAS 😉

it´s more about grabbing some nice deals and lack of availability of specific lenses(for good money), so meantime i get to know one lens , another special comes around, finally this FL turns to be the one that more samples i have , after the 50´s of course. I was hoping to stick to only a very few mounts, but that´s impossible, as there are specific lenses that i like from a specific mount (from the ones i have).
The af Apo Minolta 200mm is just enough lens in this focal length,can´t tell same thing about other lenses .