Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.9 85mm M42 rare lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.9 85mm M42 rare lens Reply with quote

This is the S-M-C version of the legendary Super-Takumar 1:1.9 85mm, the same lens formula of 5 element 4 group Ernostar type configuration. This S-M-C version was produced for only a short period 1971-1972 (Gerjan pg. 200); a rare version only because not many of these were made.

These are results from a short spin today. The lens surprised me! I made many more photos than usual; this lens is fun. A higher percentage of keepers too. Very Happy Photos of lens to follow.

All photos using full frame Canon 5Dc in Neutral with no adjustments whatsoever to contrast, saturation, or sharpness, resized from raw using Canon DPP, 80% jpg compression by IrfanView. 100% crops are from 4368 x 2912 pixels, 39.8mm x 23.9mm sensor.

Obligatory cat photos -- both wide open:

#1 f/1.9

#2 f/1.9

#3 f/1.9 bad photo but note the shape of bokeh in top corners -- is that cat's-eye bokeh? Very Happy Is THAT why this lens formula is so coveted?

Some MFD (0.85m) 100% crops (tripod) ("Cameo" is the variety of apple):

#4 f/1.9 100% crop MFD

#5 f/2 100% crop MFD

#6 f/4 100% crop MFD

#7 f/5.6 100% crop MFD

#8 f/8 100% crop MFD

More 100% crops (handheld, focus is on star-shaped seed lower right, caught in these burrs):

#9 f/1.9 100% crop

#10 f/2.8 100% crop

#11 f/8 100% crop

A landscape:

#12 f/1.9

#13 f/8

Wide open:

#14 f/1.9

#15 f/1.9

#16 f/1.9 this one makes me blink

Last edited by visualopsins on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure do like my Super-Tak version, focusing is easy with mine too, it just pops into focus.
Have fun with yours...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it sucks, please send it to me Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one you may be selling?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I had Super Takumar 85mm f1.9 if I remember as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not see any difference in the landscape photos above. The difference is much easier to see in these 100% crops!
#1 f/1.9: #2 f/8:

Next photos of the lens are from full frame Canon 5Dc with M42 Asahi Macro-Takumar 1:4 50mm (to 1:1).

Some element reflections, showing 4 element groups (5 elements):

#5 (note star shaped bokeh of Macro-Takumar aperture Smile)

#6 minimum focus distance, dof scale, aperture ring, A/M switch

#7 A scratch in the coating! It is less than 1/4 the width of a hair, more like 0.01mm. I did not notice it until now. It is difficult to see unless a bright light is angled just so.

#8 the other day I tried to make the lens flare, I could only get this photo, but here is clear evidence that a coating scratch DOES affect the image, but, just as when photographing the scratch, the light must come from a certain angle -- a slight movement of the lens makes the scratch and its effects invisible to the eyes.

#9 more reflections. See filter thread dents.

#10 previous entry marks

#11 other side

#12 scuff

#13 filter and the hood start easy, turn on a full turn, then turning is 'snug' to the end. removal is same; must hold lens body to prevent unscrewing lens from mount.

#14 diaphragm is clean & snappy

#15 clean both sides

#16 original caps

#17 front

#18 camera side

#19 case leather is nice, interior piece needs glue

Last edited by visualopsins on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Yes it sucks, please send it to me Very Happy

mo wrote:
Is this the one you may be selling?

This is it! I only want to explore the cat's eye bokeh effect some more, and make some more photos of the reflections. And make some better product photos. Wink

Attila wrote:
Congrats! I had Super Takumar 85mm f1.9 if I remember as well.

Thanks Attila! You sold it? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the filter ring can be easily replaced if you have a donor lens.
Also heard that black paint in the scratch can help hide the resulting flare.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
At least the filter ring can be easily replaced if you have a donor lens.
Also heard that black paint in the scratch can help hide the resulting flare.

Donor lens with this name ring is not so easy to find. Could use a 200/4 ring Laughing The macro photos make minor damages look much worse than in person.

I thought of filling the scratch with India Ink too, but I'm concerned the hard black line showing in the bokeh highlights would disrupt the soft effects.

The flare line produced might be a problem for a portrait photographer using back-lighting just out of frame upper left.

Actually, the element could be turned in the body so the flare only shows with strong light from another angle more usually less bright. I think it is easy to work around; it is plainly visible in the viewfinder when it happens. I only noticed it when trying to make the lens flare, not in any of the other many photographs from that day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to keep the lens. Sad Sorry folks, this lens is now part of my core kit. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That is a very wise decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dropping big wet tears on my keyboard.
Mad

Can't blame you though.
If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me.
Very Happy