Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Culminon f1.5 75mm meets evening shops
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Culminon f1.5 75mm meets evening shops Reply with quote

A walk with the (rather uncommon and rare) Steinheil Culminon f1.5 / 75mm lens used on my Lumix GH1. That lens has something special when wide open, you'll notice...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part II, a spanish deli belonging to my friend Monica ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Klaus, too many to single out for faves, what a lens! Cool

(Love the colors)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool perspectives dr klaus. very enjoyable set. if you have a moment, i would love to see this lens a ive never heard of it.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'll dig out a pic of the lens...

Turns out, it is quite a sharp lens...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that lens produces a very unique "look" like none other! Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything special, just looks soft and not very good to me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't see anything special, just looks soft and not very good to me.

I can see you point of view - plenty of CA and abberations. However, to me this is what makes it different. If it is razor sharp like Zeiss then I feel it looks too clinical.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be rather sharp if stopped down a little, similar to my slim Biotar f1.5 75mm, but fully open it creates a special glow around edges that I like especially when shooting something "emotional". Surely not to everybody's taste, when just sharpness is everything they look for. Soft focus photography is another example...

Getting "sharp images" was never a goal of this series, but to catch emotional moments at a place having a certain atmosphere and ambiance. Sharp images is so easy, catching a special moment is not... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from the first person to consider sharpness crucial. I just don't see anything special in it's character, but it's a matter of taste.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh reminds me of the Trioplan of which I'm a fan (used in certain applications).

Can we see some more samples & some smaller aperture images?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one is stopped down Martin that should do. I don't have the time to do more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'm far from the first person to consider sharpness crucial. I just don't see anything special in it's character, but it's a matter of taste.

May I answer with a quote Ian:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I don't want any discussion about that to follow here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ian, lens only rare , but not on same level with top makers 85mm. Probably this is reason why so rare , it was hard to sell it. A bit remind me to Enna München 85mm , very rare , expensive , but low quality lens. Another thing probably limited light and huge size of pictures. Huge size of pictures on smaller screen like mine 1280x1024 and need to scroll not helps to see best from a lens. I wasn't impressed too by this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lens, and really remarkable sample photos. You have found another gem!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it is a special lens indeed with a certain character wide open, surely not as razor sharp as the Biotar f1.5 75mm, but quite sharp stopped down a bit (1-2 stops).

Would I be a portrait shooter, which I am not, nor does my pretty spouse want me to, I would try out that lens for a soft dreamy look, that saves using softing filters or post processing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bokeh much, from what I can see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I like the bokeh much, from what I can see.

Yes, me too. Bokeh shots ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the colours on the indoor shots, but would prefer a little more depth of focus so that my poor eyes don't have to work so hard in finding the focal point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous flower photos! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I do like the colours on the indoor shots, but would prefer a little more depth of focus so that my poor eyes don't have to work so hard in finding the focal point.

@skida, that's wouldn't be an issue, just by stopping down to f2 or f2.8 woudl achieve that wish Wink

@katastrofo: Thanks Bill!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
The last one is stopped down Martin that should do. I don't have the time to do more.

I guessed that was stopped down, but not sure it's the best subject.

No worries, I'll keep a look out for your next samples. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Part II, a spanish deli belonging to my friend Monica ...

I think you did right to the sphere in your friends deli.
I like the rendition of the lens under these circumstances.
Good use of character and fastness of the old (and nicely made) lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can help me here....the bokeh of this lens, to me at least, is distracting. What I mean is in my peripheral vision the bokeh almost appears to show movement. Maybe people have a word for this, I know I don't. I'm sorry to say I find it a little irritating. Confused
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the photos, it's just the bokeh that bothers me. Embarassed