Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil and Contax Zeiss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Steinheil and Contax Zeiss Reply with quote

I took the "Steinheil Munchen Tele-Quinar 135mm f2.8 "and the "Contax Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm F 2.8 T*MM " out with me this evening- not to compare them, but just on a whim/spontaneous .

Steinheil Munchen Tele-Quinar 135mm f2.8 :

Contax Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm F 2.8 T*MM:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots! Wink I really like that aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quinar looks a bit softer, which may be great for portraits, while the Sonnar , well is very contrasty. nice light by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic and hexi:

Thank your for your comments and suggestions- Very Happy .

Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very beautiful photos, and recognition really goes to the photographer not the lenses.

Only reserve I have, isn't white balance too much on the hot side?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results indeed. The warm golden evening light looks fine in my eyes; technically Orio is certainly correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Some very beautiful photos, and recognition really goes to the photographer not the lenses.

Only reserve I have, isn't white balance too much on the hot side?

Thanks Orio,

You are correct-I need to Calibrate/Set White balance.What method of white balance calibration(on DSLRs) do you use?

Klaus:

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you shoot raw, it isn't a big problem, you can go with Auto and fine tune the balance later in the raw development software.
If you shoot jpg, the best way is to take with you a white/grey card such as this one:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/meter_accessories/novoflex_zebra_grey_card/11609_p.html

It is small enough to fit in almost any bag. In theory white would be for balancing and grey for metering. In practice, when I use it, I use grey for both.

In any case like Klaus rightly put it, WB calibration is also an aesthetical choice, not just a technical one. So any choice that fells good to you is also ok...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
In any case like Klaus rightly put it, WB calibration is also an aesthetical choice, not just a technical one. So any choice that fells good to you is also ok...

I agree- You want to portray or capture a certain mood,right?

I shoot in RAW and do little editing , tone, balance ,clarity etc in Lightroom .
Sometimes I calibrate/set my camera white balance on a white napkin-sometimes being the keyword. And is there a thing called calibrating ones monitor,I am going to look into that too.

I will check the link for the gray card you've provided.
Thanks Orio.