Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone 135mm f1.8 wide open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Attila, but I just noticed your beautiful pictures. Congratulations for having such a beautiful daughter and so much talent as a photographer.

This Spiratone looks like an useful lens for this kind of situation. I guess it's the same lens than the Porst 135/1.8. I have read mixed reviews about the Porst but your sample seems quite OK.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys again! I guess Spiratone is ok in this light for portraits not the sharpest but not bad at all. Certainly a CZ 135mm f2 or Nikor 135mm f2 are better lenses, but they are not in same price league.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. I notice again that this lens, Sigma Sigmatel Spiratone Raynox Polaris Rokinor Porst 135mm f1.8, has the most graceful decay of bokeh I have seen for any lens period, and yet it is a tele. Think how modern lenses would have distracting oof there.

I have one with a loose paint flake in it. Then I read that painting the outside of the inner triplet glass will raise contrast. Now I know where the paint flake came from. Guess I will have to venture in there to retrieve the flake. As sharp as this lens is at f4 and up, raising contrast by painting the triplet would really make it Zeiss-like.

Two things you don't hear often. Alf DaSigmaGuy not complaining that graceful oof means not fuzzing out his studio background, and Alf saying that any lens is sharper than any Zeiss("CZ Sonnar 180/2.8."). It is just so valuable, as you can see with Attila's photos, to have graceful oof. I bet you didn't even notice!

I tried to look at quality control for this lens by comparing three. I did not match exposure, due to variables possibly including different coatings, different real aperture hole size, and whether triplet is painted or not:
http://www.pbase.com/recbo/image/105925572
I angled the books so my focus would not be an issue. Absolute as well as graceful illusion of DOF is shown by that angle of the books.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDodds wrote:
Great shots. I notice again that this lens, Sigma Sigmatel Spiratone Raynox Polaris Rokinor Porst 135mm f1.8, has the most graceful decay of bokeh I have seen for any lens period, and yet it is a tele. Think how modern lenses would have distracting oof there.

I have one with a loose paint flake in it. Then I read that painting the outside of the inner triplet glass will raise contrast. Now I know where the paint flake came from. Guess I will have to venture in there to retrieve the flake. As sharp as this lens is at f4 and up, raising contrast by painting the triplet would really make it Zeiss-like.

Two things you don't hear often. Alf DaSigmaGuy not complaining that graceful oof means not fuzzing out his studio background, and Alf saying that any lens is sharper than any Zeiss("CZ Sonnar 180/2.8."). It is just so valuable, as you can see with Attila's photos, to have graceful oof. I bet you didn't even notice!

I tried to look at quality control for this lens by comparing three. I did not match exposure, due to variables possibly including different coatings, different real aperture hole size, and whether triplet is painted or not:
http://www.pbase.com/recbo/image/105925572
I angled the books so my focus would not be an issue. Absolute as well as graceful illusion of DOF is shown by that angle of the books.

AF lenses concern only for sharpness mostly , because people see only stupid MTF charts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new CZ 135mm f1.8 which is AF, for Sony cam I think. Expensive.

Attila, you did not say if you were using a tripod. Or did f1.8 get you enough speed without one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoots were hand held I suppose around 1/60 1/125.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, apologize for my straight words, Could you sell this lens to me? Laughing

I love this lens and your shots, it' very very great for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
Attila, apologize for my straight words, Could you sell this lens to me? Laughing

I love this lens and your shots, it' very very great for me.

Thinking on it, you get me in right time I have to sell lot of lenses.

Let me know your maximum offer in pm or here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens under Polaris name (T2 mount). Polaris 1.8/135 looks like pretty sharp lens wide open but it is big chunk of glass/metal

Compare to Super Takumar 3.5/135

Front elements

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your newest great lens!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, really great lens, I am surprised that it is so sharp wide open

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDodds wrote:
Great shots. I notice again that this lens, Sigma Sigmatel Spiratone Raynox Polaris Rokinor Porst 135mm f1.8, has the most graceful decay of bokeh I have seen for any lens period, and yet it is a tele. Think how modern lenses would have distracting oof there..

Actually there are several different optical designs being used for the lenses you mention so they are not all the same and some will be better than others. BTW, notice how similar the Sigmatel is to the Pentax-A: