Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some older, small format photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Some older, small format photos Reply with quote

Some scans of old and rather small prints.

My first "real" camera was a Minolta 16-II, which I bought having got my first serious job, summer 1965. I wasn't quite twenty yet, and IBM had outsourced an independent development job to me. I took myself very seriously, of course, and it shows on one of the very first photos I took, a self-portrait taken with a close-up lens on the fixed focus Minolta held at arm's length:

The image quality is pretty good, given the original 16mm film and the 68mm x 101mm print size. Minolta 16-II was a very nice camera, see e.g. http://members.fortunecity.com/minivanman/min16a.html , and I used to carry it in my trouser pocket all the time until the time came when I couldn't get preloaded film for it anymore. Here are a couple of shots more:

Later I bought a Minolta Hi-Matic 7, a Praktica LLC, an old Rolleiflex 2.8E Planar, all larger and with much better IQ. In 1985 or so I bought another small camera, a Minolta 110 Zoom SLR, see e.g. http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBase/Products/MINOLTA/110-ZOOM/110_ZOOM.htm
, which I used extensively for many years until I - again - couldn't obtain film for it. There has been much talk about the poor IQ of the 110 format, but as the following scans of 101mm x 130mm prints show, the IQ was actually quite decent:

Here is an unsharpened crop from the 600dpi, 2352 x 3070 scan of the first print:

Not bad at all, for a print scan, no wonder many photographers used a 110 Zoom quite seriously, for some purposes a 30" x 40" print might be OK.

Note, however, that these prints were made optically, not scanned as they do it now. No flatbed scanner can extract this much information out of the small negs, and even normal neg scanners would have to struggle.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these fascinating shots.

If you've still got the 110 Zoom, fuji superia 200 ISO is still obtainable indate (I've just ran a roll through my Pentax Auto 110 - see thread in gallery http://forum.mflenses.com/second-roll-of-film-through-the-pentax-auto-110-fuji-200-t5575.html) and it produces pretty good results. I can only imagine what you could get with a modern fine grained 100 ISO film in 110.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
If you've still got the 110 Zoom, fuji superia 200 ISO is still obtainable indate (I've just ran a roll through my Pentax Auto 110 - see thread in gallery http://forum.mflenses.com/second-roll-of-film-through-the-pentax-auto-110-fuji-200-t5575.html) and it produces pretty good results. I can only imagine what you could get with a modern fine grained 100 ISO film in 110.

I've still got the camera, I could get film for it and might even get it developed somewhere, but getting worthwhile scans is another matter -- at some Fujilab perhaps. One possibility would be to "scan" the negs with my 5D, preferably at 2:1. To get a better idea of the obtainable IQ, I rescanned the above print at 1200dpi and down-sampled it to correspond to a 110 frame size crop of a 5D frame. Here is a crop of that "crop" at 5D resolution:

and a link to the full "crop": http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/demo/min110_1xs.jpg

Given that it is a scan of a small print, it seems remarkably good as it involves the extra MTF and resolution losses due to the enlarger and the paper. Viewed at a nominal screen resolution of 75dpi, the size of the full image is 21" x 27". A 12" x 16" print from the neg would be pretty good.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Veijo, it would be nice to see your young self-portrait and one of those that you took recently, side to side! What I find amazing is that in spite of the long time distance, you look very much the same, and also, that in 1965 you were taking the same type of self portrait that you are taking now! Smile That is really not common!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting post! Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was quite an eye opener Veijo. Seems a lot of work, but worth it for the quality upgrade when you have a picture to preserve.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images are REALLY well composed, especially for a "young photographer" at the time. Cool Case in point, is the beautiful compositional framing of the landscape image with the foliage on the left and the structures (including flagpole) in the main part of the image. In fact, even with the flagpole being a "problem" in an image, you have managed to place it in balance with the composition.

It is great to see your early development!