Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 Reply with quote

I have to say that i love my Zeiss lenses Smile So i usually take them with me when i'm going to make some pictures of nature. This one Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60 mm f/ 2.8 C/Y if lens that i use most of all. It isn't sharpest Zeiss lens that one can think but it's every-day lens allowing to make bokeh-oriented photos and portraits in the same day.

Here i want to show my Bokeh pictures that i usually "hunt" Smile

What do you think about Zeiss bokeh and especially this lens being compared to Canon, Nikon and Leica?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 Reply with quote

kenji wrote:
I have to say that i love my Zeiss lenses Smile So i usually take them with me when i'm going to make some pictures of nature. This one Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60 mm f/ 2.8 C/Y if lens that i use most of all. It isn't sharpest Zeiss lens that one can think but it's every-day lens allowing to make bokeh-oriented photos and portraits in the same day.

Here i want to show my Bokeh pictures that i usually "hunt" Smile

What do you think about Zeiss bokeh and especially this lens being compared to Canon, Nikon and Leica?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh doesn't look anything special, it looks nice but not different to many others.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man, nice shots and thanks for sharing these! a very interesting lens indeed!
lol and i like you avatar alot!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenji, and welcome. I think your photos are great, keep posting!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 Reply with quote

kenji wrote:
It isn't sharpest Zeiss lens that one can think

You're the first person that I read saying that. All the other people that I know report great sharpness, and my personal copy
is extremely sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
kenji wrote:
It isn't sharpest Zeiss lens that one can think

You're the first person that I read saying that. All the other people that I know report great sharpness, and my personal copy
is extremely sharp.

Hi Orio!

I'm testing every lens i own and i get in my hands. I have a blog devoted especially lens testing. So i'm sure that my copy and i suppose all others are not as good as one can think being compared to modern lens. By the way you can check MTF charts of this lens and you'll see that no special sharpness can be seen at wide-open.

But in the same time if you compare this lens to other lenses released in the same years as 60/2.8 you have a good chance to find 60/2.8 be a leader.
As for me i compared Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 to Canon 50/2.5 Macro lens which i bought in 2001 and Canon lens is much sharper.

But!
I think the most important advantage of Zeiss lens is not sharpness but Bokeh and rigid construction. Canon has non-contrast background and it's not good for shooting flowers, leaves and macro.

Soon i will make test where i'm going to compare Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2.8 and Canon 100/2.8L USM Macro. Very interesting for me and maybe for all people who love Zeiss lenses. I will share if you want.

P.S. Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2.8 is much sharper than Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:

Hi Gerris2!

Thanks for warm welcome! Smile I will continue with Zeiss bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:
hey man, nice shots and thanks for sharing these! a very interesting lens indeed!
lol and i like you avatar alot!

Hi Smoli4!

Thanks!

Hehe. I also like my avatar and especially to feel like this Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Bokeh doesn't look anything special, it looks nice but not different to many others.

Hi iangreenhalgh1!

Maybe my photos were not enough good as bokeh samples. I have some other photos i will post later.
Be sure that Zeiss has special bokeh.

I've checked your list of lenses and i see no Zeiss lenses, only some GDR (Carl Zeiss Jena).

So maybe it will be interesting for you to see real difference. It can be seen better when compared face-to-face. I do such comparizons from time to time.

some photos from Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 http://evtifeev.com/?p=5190

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice leaves series !

kenji wrote:
Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2.8 is much sharper than Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8

what dslr do you use to find the 100 sharper than the 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 Reply with quote

kenji wrote:

I'm testing every lens i own and i get in my hands. I have a blog devoted especially lens testing. So i'm sure that my copy and i suppose all others are not as good as one can think being compared to modern lens. By the way you can check MTF charts of this lens and you'll see that no special sharpness can be seen at wide-open.

You mention the MTF, but the MTF at f/2.8 shows a sagittal curve at 20 c/mm that goes from 0.85 in the center to 0.6 at the edge.
It is not possible to say that this is not sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenji wrote:
Gerris2 wrote:

Hi Gerris2!

You are welcome! Hey, are the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm lenses less expensive in Russia than USA? I have such lust in my heart for this lens hahahaha but I just can't pay the money out of fear knowing what my wife would do with her foot applied to my rear end! hahahaha (ummm, hey not so funny I guess).

Last edited by Gerris2 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is not something I'm very interested in but the lenses which have the most pleasing bokeh to my eyes are the ones where it is very smooth and not distracting, I suppose my favourites for bokeh would be the Meyer Primotar 3.5/135, Petri CC Auto 1.8/55, Canon FL 2.5/35, CZJ Biotar 2/58, Meyer/Pentacon 2.8/135, Ross Xpress 3.5/4inch, those are just off the top of my head.

My absolute favourite for bokeh are probably Sonnar designs such as the Jupiter 8 and Jupiter 11, they have such smooth and soft bokeh, such as in this shot with a 1957 Jupiter-8 2/50:

Most modern double-gauss/planar type lenses have very similar bokeh, the differences being rather small. I posted bokeh samples from 13 different 50-ish mm lenses a while back and they were all very similar.

In general, it is the older lenses that are less highly corrected that tend to have the most interesting bokeh, for instance, swirly bokeh is the result of spherical abberation. I'm not really a fan of swirly bokeh but it can be nice sometimes if it's not over-the-top, I like the slight swirl my Apollo 1.3/50 c-mount lens gives:

There is no reason at all why Zeiss T* lenses would have 'better' bokeh (although better is quite meaningless as it's all a matter of personal taste) for instance, a T* Sonnar 2.8/135 wouldn't differ much, if at all, in it's bokeh from an older Sonnar such as the Jupiter-11 4/135 or the CZJ 3.5/135 as they share the same optical formula with only very minor differences.

If I were to chose a lens from my collection specifically for making pretty bokeh (that was pretty to my eyes at least) I'd go for the 1950s Kershaw made Gaumont Kalee Bloomed 5inch projector lens, it's a Petzval type, has many scratches and quite severe separation of the front pair of elements, but the bokeh is the smoothest I have ever found.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bokeh from my Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
kenji wrote:

You mention the MTF, but the MTF at f/2.8 shows a sagittal curve at 20 c/mm that goes from 0.85 in the center to 0.6 at the edge.
It is not possible to say that this is not sharp.

Why you mention only saggital curve? what about tangential which goes down to 0.3? And when these curves a much apart new type of aberration occurs that lowers the resolution.
And in the same time you prefer 20lp/mm than 40lp/mm that is official resolution curve (10lp/mm is for contrast). If you look 40lp/mm you'll see not a good result especially at wide-open (0.65->0.4? 0.1?).

But look at MTF charts for 100/2.8

You see - it is much sharper. 40lp/mm goes 0.6->0.6 Almost absolute even sharpness along frame.

Here i compared 100mm lenses from famous brands (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Leica) and you can look charts being placed on same pic for comfortable comparing. Sorry for only russian language! I suppose you be able to understand where is which lens or use google translate. I'll translate it to english later.

Thats why it is interesting for me to make face-to-face comparizon of Canon 100 and Zeiss 100. Not 60/2.8 which i already tested and found it not very sharp. But i love this lens very much so dont be misleaded by my words about it's sharpness.

Btw i'm glad to meet collegue-owner of 60/2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If absolute sharpness is important to you and you live in Russia, you should look at the first version of the Zenitar 50mm, only the legendary Planar 50 for Contarex is sharper. Also, the OKC pro movie lenses made by LOMO, many of those have 70/35 centre/edges. Bear in mind that the Industar-50, which is a very sharp lens only has 38/22 so the LOMO movie lenses are outstandingly sharp.

Of course, once you reach a certain level of sharpness then it's irrelevant just how high the resolution is. If the lens has equal or greater resolution to the sensor or film you are using then it is sharp enough. Most lenses by top makers will out-resolve the densest sensor so sharpness debates are a little pointless imho.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:
kenji wrote:
Gerris2 wrote:

Hi Gerris2!

You are welcome! Hey, are the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm lenses less expensive in Russian than USA? I have such lust in my heart for this lens hahahaha but I just can't pay the money out of fear knowing what my wife would do with her foot applied to my rear end! hahahaha (ummm, hey not so funny I guess).

ahaha! Funny but my wife can do same Smile I have to sell part of my collection cause of this.

I suppose this lens will be expensive everywhere cause it is of a very quality optical and construction. I'm saying this being owner of Canon 100/2.8L USM Macro (which is professional top lens by Canon).
My version of lens came from Japan for about 888usd. It was expensive but condition "like new". It is heavy and has very precise assembling. A great pleasure working with it.

As about prices for Zeiss lenses i suppose Japan is the best place to buy. Since 1978 all Zeiss lenses are produced there. This production migration started from 1973 and German plants worked in parallel till 78.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Bokeh is not something I'm very interested in but the lenses which have the most pleasing bokeh to my eyes are the ones where it is very smooth and not distracting, I suppose my favourites for bokeh would be the Meyer Primotar 3.5/135, Petri CC Auto 1.8/55, Canon FL 2.5/35, CZJ Biotar 2/58, Meyer/Pentacon 2.8/135, Ross Xpress 3.5/4inch, those are just off the top of my head.

My absolute favourite for bokeh are probably Sonnar designs such as the Jupiter 8 and Jupiter 11, they have such smooth and soft bokeh, such as in this shot with a 1957 Jupiter-8 2/50:

Most modern double-gauss/planar type lenses have very similar bokeh, the differences being rather small. I posted bokeh samples from 13 different 50-ish mm lenses a while back and they were all very similar.

In general, it is the older lenses that are less highly corrected that tend to have the most interesting bokeh, for instance, swirly bokeh is the result of spherical abberation. I'm not really a fan of swirly bokeh but it can be nice sometimes if it's not over-the-top, I like the slight swirl my Apollo 1.3/50 c-mount lens gives:

There is no reason at all why Zeiss T* lenses would have 'better' bokeh (although better is quite meaningless as it's all a matter of personal taste) for instance, a T* Sonnar 2.8/135 wouldn't differ much, if at all, in it's bokeh from an older Sonnar such as the Jupiter-11 4/135 or the CZJ 3.5/135 as they share the same optical formula with only very minor differences.

If I were to chose a lens from my collection specifically for making pretty bokeh (that was pretty to my eyes at least) I'd go for the 1950s Kershaw made Gaumont Kalee Bloomed 5inch projector lens, it's a Petzval type, has many scratches and quite severe separation of the front pair of elements, but the bokeh is the smoothest I have ever found.

It's quite interesting about your choice of lenses for a good bokeh.

But you have to know that T* Sonnar 2.8/135 is not real Sonnar, but Ernostar by optical design. Technical data for Sonnar 135/2.8. So there is a big reason why Jupiter-11 is different from T* Sonnar 2.8/135. Carl Zeiss company stopped producing Sonnar-type lens after the WWII. In the same time Russian plants started to produce Sonnar copies of Zeiss optical design. Thats why i like real Sonnar-type russian lens like Jupiter-9 85/2.
As for other Zeiss lenses, they have Planar and Tessar optical design (and some other like retrofocus wide-angle etc.).

Thanks for sharing your opinion and pictures! I highly prefer lenses discussing and nice lens search.

You are right that bokeh is a question of a personal taste but what about famous pictures in museums? Who said they are good? Is it also a question of taste?
Maybe there is some good taste that anyone can achieve sometimes?

As for swirly bokeh - is a funny thing. Geometrical vignetting to suppress spherical aberration. For me is to busy background Smile

I want to share my grand-grandfarthers photo (Tsar's army officer) for checking old lens bokeh. Maybe some Pertzval-type Smile Hope you will enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fascinating photograph, thanks for sharing.

You wouldn't see bokeh in such a studio portrait, the distance from subject to background is insufficient, especially with the small aperture lenses in use in that era.

Perhaps the place to look for vintage examples of bokeh would be the work of Erich Salomon, he was probably the first person to shoot with large apertures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If absolute sharpness is important to you and you live in Russia, you should look at the first version of the Zenitar 50mm, only the legendary Planar 50 for Contarex is sharper. Also, the OKC pro movie lenses made by LOMO, many of those have 70/35 centre/edges. Bear in mind that the Industar-50, which is a very sharp lens only has 38/22 so the LOMO movie lenses are outstandingly sharp.

Of course, once you reach a certain level of sharpness then it's irrelevant just how high the resolution is. If the lens has equal or greater resolution to the sensor or film you are using then it is sharp enough. Most lenses by top makers will out-resolve the densest sensor so sharpness debates are a little pointless imho.

Absolute sharpness is important for me only when shooting commercial. But sometimes i prefer images to be sharp also when shooting landscapes or making some close-ups. I'm not sure what version of Zenitar was the first one.

I had Zenitar 50/1.7. It produced a nice bokeh but wasn't razor-sharp.

Maybe you mean MC Zenitar-ME1 50 mm f/ 1.7 which has square diaphragm?

I owned Industar-50-2 50 mm f/ 3.5 and it's also not very sharp being compared to Zeiss lenses. I made a special test. I will share later when i will translate my tests to english.

Don't know anything about movie lenses except the Schneider Kreuznach Xenoplan 17 mm f/ 1.7. It's not russian, not LOMO for sure Smile But after thrying it with photocameras i suppose all video lenses to be less sharp than photo ones.
If you can name video lenses by LOMO that you mean i will try to find information about them and maybe test them later to be sure.

Btw maybe you already tested them? Do you have pictures taken with these video LOMO lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's a fascinating photograph, thanks for sharing.

You wouldn't see bokeh in such a studio portrait, the distance from subject to background is insufficient, especially with the small aperture lenses in use in that era.

Perhaps the place to look for vintage examples of bokeh would be the work of Erich Salomon, he was probably the first person to shoot with large apertures.

Ah maybe thats just picture on the wall that can be seen in background. But very interesting as an old-style photo work, yeah?

Btw it was 1916 year. If you liked previuos maybe you'll like other one. It's from 1918. My grand-grandfather on the right with a nice sabre.

Please bear in mind that big number of aperture for a big format camera is a big difference than being talk about 35mm cameras. Aperture of F16-F32 is every-day aperture and background can be nicely blurred if not too close. Closed aperture is F64 and maybe more.

These flowers at the window may appear real, not painted. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenji wrote:
Here i compared 100mm lenses from famous brands (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Leica) and you can look charts being placed on same pic for comfortable comparing

nobody told you before that Canon mtf graph are just marketing trick Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in both cases the backgrounds are painted.

I can't find the info about the Zenitar right now, but I was referring to the first version released, it was revised and the resolution lowered. Someone posted resolution figures for all the variants of the Helios-44, Helios-77 and Zenitars, the Zenitars were the sharpest.

The 1959 Industar-50 I have is a very sharp lens, the manufacturer's figures give 38/22 as it's resolution statistics. I have a 1966 I-50 that is equally sharp.

I have a 1955 Jupiter-8 that has lower resolution statistics but is still very sharp, I suspect they both outresolve the 4mp sensor in my NEX-3 as I have been unable to discern a different in perceived sharpness:

If your film or sensor can't record more than a certain resolution then it's irrelevant how high the resolution of the lens is as long as it is equal or greater than the resolution of the sensor/film. I think that with sensors, other factors such as the strength of AA filter or whether it even has an AA filter and it's pixel density are more important to perceived sharpness of the output than the lens, as I said before most lenses from top makes outresolve the sensor. Even the latest very dense sensors like the 36mp Sony full frame one are lower in resolution than a good film such as Fuji Velvia 50 and the lenses we are discussing were designed to have superior resolution to the best film types (not including microfilms and special purpose films, there were very high resolution special lenses for use with those).

The LOMO lenses are not for video, they are for 35mm motion picture cameras like the Konvas and Kinor.

About the resolvance of LOMO 35mm movie lenses, the 35 OKS-3-14-1 has an incredible resolving power of 82/30, others such as the 35 OKS-2-14-1, 35 OKS-6-22-1 and 35 OKS-10-28-1 have 70/35. The only one I own is the 35 OKS-1-18-1 which has 64/27.

Here is a typical LOMO datasheet, this one for the OKC-1-18-1 I own:

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the point about bokeh, I found my old post with 13 different 50-ish mm lenses shot wide open. I think this shows that there is less difference than most people think:

Quote:
Helios 44M-4 wide open:

Pancolar 1.8/50 zebra Exakta wide open:

Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 M42 wide open:

Meyer Primotar 3.5/50 wide open:

Miranda 1.4/50 wide open:

Pentax M 2/50 wide open:

Konica Hexanon 1.7/50 wide open:

Industar-50 2.8/50 wide open:

Pentacon Prakticar 1.8/50 wide open:

Konica Hexanon 1.8/50 wide open:

Petri CC 1.8/55 wide open:

Topcor RE Auto 1.8/58 wide open:

Minolta Rokkor-PF 1.7/50 wide open:

I can only see anything swirly on the Helios 44M-4 shot, the rest are all pretty similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
kenji wrote:
Here i compared 100mm lenses from famous brands (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Leica) and you can look charts being placed on same pic for comfortable comparing

nobody told you before that Canon mtf graph are just marketing trick Razz

Nobody proved that. I believe more to my own eyes Smile And they tell me that Canon is sharper than Zeiss (100/2.8 vs 100/2.Cool.
Stay tuned and i'll show you my test. I have both lenses.

But bear in mind that i didn't say Canon in better or Canon is sharper than modern Zeiss 100/2.