Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I recently got very nice looking Pentax-K 3.5/28mm. I can confirm what is well known already - the lens is excellent on 24 MP FF (well, its an 8L construction and relatively slow), especially if stopped down to f8 ... f11. No lateral CAs at all, and perfect corner resolution. Even on 43 MP FF the lens is nearly perfect at f8 and f11 (no CAs, again). Impressive, especially since I can compare it to nearly 60 other 28mm lenses.

S

Yeah it's an excellent lens.

Another lens that does a pretty good job in terms of resolution is the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 (click for full size):
Zuiko2835_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

It reaches perfectly sharp corners even a bit sooner than the Pentax (@ f/5.6). I will have to do more thorough testing though to see how the Zuiko behaves in terms of CA's, flare resistance, contrast etc. My guess is, that the Pentax is better in this regard. Hope to show more in the near future.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to see that pic, but i have no flickr account

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I didn't turn on public view. Now it should show.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few examples of how the Pentax handles direct lighting situations:

SMCPentaxK283525 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SMCPentaxK283517 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SMCPentaxK283521 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Flare is provokable, but good contrast of the image is still intact:

SMCPentaxK2835 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Very good IMO for such an old lens.
It will be interesting to see how the OM Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 holds up to it. It did render quite excellent images under favorable lighting conditions. I hope to do a comparison soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice series, i thought that my distagon would be enough for 28mm focal length lol, i did look for this k version, but it´s not easy to see it very often for sale and to be honest, i am not open to pay way too much (i´m not a collector) for it neither

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

It will be interesting to see how the OM Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 holds up to it.

AFAIR it doesn't have a stellar reputation and it also older design than that of OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 or f/2 which means inferior coating.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
i did look for this k version, but it´s not easy to see it very often for sale and to be honest, i am not open to pay way too much (i´m not a collector) for it neither

Same here as I said before (I have been looking for years locally), but at CHF 60.-- at a local store I couldn't resist any longer Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

It will be interesting to see how the OM Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 holds up to it.

AFAIR it doesn't have a stellar reputation and it also older design than that of OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 or f/2 which means inferior coating.

It’s not bad though: https://forum.mflenses.com/zuiko-28mm-f-3-5-vs-smc-pentax-28mm-f-3-5-new-tests-t85406.html