Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Six Ridge Pass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Six Ridge Pass Reply with quote

Six Ridge Pass is a gap in a ridge where the headwaters of Six Stream starts.

This in the feral backcountry of the southwestern corner of Olympic National Park, and located such that entry is arduous.

The little pass has special meaning to me, as this was part of one of my first multi-day trips alone as a pre-teen youth.

The trail system is only faint in the area, but the subalpine meadows are richly beautiful and full of sparkling creeks.

I was lucky enough to find the old sign about 300 feet downslope! So, in order to honor the old trail, I propped it with rocks against the bedraggled Mountain Hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana).

My main purpose for showing this image is to embark on a critique from you folks. I wanted this "close to my heart" place to have a sort of "historical or old-time feel".

I am not very good at Photoshop, so I called my friend who gave me some pointers on altering the image a little.

I normally don't like images that are altered, other than necessary schemes to sharpen or bring up to what was remembered by the photographer as to colors or perspective.

I used a bit of Gaussian Blur, selective sharpening and blurring, and some Curves adjustments.

Does it look overdone, or do you feel that it does have a sort of "old" look? Let me know, I can handle criticism well! The WORST reaction would be for me to kick the blasted computer. Shocked

Six Ridge Revisited
Scan from negative
Minolta Freedom point-and-shoot camera
Exposure unknown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice one!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Really nice one!
Thanks Attila, although I'm not even trying to make it be a "nice" image. Attila, could you tell me what you think...does it look like something "older"? I hope you understand what I mean. My friend thought I might make it more "blue" in tint, and that might also help to "age" the image.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think colours, subject everything is perfect, label is old enough to show age. Don't need to do any tricks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done
show us the unaltered shot to compare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth advice:

If you want the old feel look, start with a lens that is the tradition.
With all due respect I don't think that starting from a Minolta P&S is the best move.

A Tessar like my 3.5/50 would be an excellent choice. But also a more modern (but from old design!) Planar wide open, or a Summicron wide open.

This is a little investment I would make if I were in your shoes, to buy a Planar 1.4/50 or a Summicron 2/50.
You should manage one with 150-200 Euros.
Used from wide open to f/4, they deliver plenty of old feel.
Or like I said, resort to an old Tessar.

It's the lens that is not up to the task in my opinion. The postwork is conservative and tasteful, but it can not turn a Minolta P&S into a 50s lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
My 2 cents worth advice:

If you want the old feel look, start with a lens that is the tradition.
With all due respect I don't think that starting from a Minolta P&S is the best move.

A Tessar like my 3.5/50 would be an excellent choice. But also a more modern (but from old design!) Planar wide open, or a Summicron wide open.

This is a little investment I would make if I were in your shoes, to buy a Planar 1.4/50 or a Summicron 2/50.
You should manage one with 150-200 Euros.
Used from wide open to f/4, they deliver plenty of old feel.
Or like I said, resort to an old Tessar.

It's the lens that is not up to the task in my opinion. The postwork is conservative and tasteful, but it can not turn a Minolta P&S into a 50s lens.

Simply EXCELLENT viewpoint, Orio. It is interesting in that your suggestion should have crossed my mind, yet I didn't even give it a thought!

I am able to puchase a Tessar 4.5/40 for about $85. Would you agree that might also be a good choice?

I will be back to the pass in September if all goes well wiyh my healing. Smile

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the composition Larry regardless of the manipulation . I am not sure what you are trying to achieve though. It doesn't have an old feel to me at all , maybe lacking the usual sharpness and saturation of your usual images.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I am able to puchase a Tessar 4.5/40 for about $85. Would you agree that might also be a good choice?

Excellent lens, and good price!
But different in character from the 3.5/50
For the purpose that you have in mind, a f/4.5 lens of 40mm would render too much depth of field I am afraid.
I would go for a fast 50mm, or for your Planar 80 used wide open on medium format film

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be you know my wife is graphic designer, she say from this pic , this is very , very well done, simple perfect! Like a scene from Lord of Ring or other medial age story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Attila's wife, great image regardless of camera used.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I don’t think anything is overdone.
Good Photoshop work should not be seen and I see no obvious sign of adjustment/manipulation, I’m sure you have improved the image.
The only real criticism of the image is it is divide in two almost down the centre.
It would be much better if the division between the view and the sign was near a third. Perhaps a good excuse to go back and redo the shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shot, but the processing hasn't added any particular feeling for me.