Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sheep racing - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 T*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Sheep racing - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 T* Reply with quote

Incredibly, I don't think I've used this lens properly before Shocked So rather than pop these in the gallery, I thought I would put them here and tell you about the lens! Price wise it is a lot more than the Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Sonnar (about three times as much!). Personally, I love the Carl Zeiss Jena version which is why I haven't used this one much before.

I find the CZJ version a touch sharper and it's lighter too, with a built in hood. The Contax version, however, just pops all over the place, with sooo much character Shocked Mine is an old AE copy and I understand the MM version is sharper, so I must pick one up to compare some time. Anyway, all in all I'm pleased with it and it captured the sheep racing nicely!

Click the images for slightly bigger versions on Flickr:

Sheep racing by ManualFocus-G, on Flickrv

Sheep racing (2) by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Some herding pictures

Sheep herding by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Sheep herding (2) by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

P.s. Don't worry, the dog only nips them to keep them in line Smile

Sheepy portrait

One in a million by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Great series!! Very fun Very Happy

The MM version is perhaps a bit sharper wide open, but not really noticeably.
Where you see more difference is in the corners wide open. But, corners in a 135mm lens aren't usually crucial,
unless you shoot a landscape, in which case, you typically don't do it wide open...

So in my opinion the superiority of 2.8/135 MM over the AE is more on paper than in the actual use.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series with a great lens! I love these animals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Orio, perhaps I'll stick with the AE version then Smile

I didn't win any money at the sheep racing unfortunately, but it was good fun nonetheless! Thanks for the comments Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Laughing Great series!! Very fun Very Happy

The MM version is perhaps a bit sharper wide open, but not really noticeably.
Where you see more difference is in the corners wide open. But, corners in a 135mm lens aren't usually crucial,
unless you shoot a landscape, in which case, you typically don't do it wide open...

So in my opinion the superiority of 2.8/135 MM over the AE is more on paper than in the actual use.

+1 I have MM and I doubt it is better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny great series !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos, I enjoyed the sheep racing shots. The sheep must get some extra special treats to train them to race down the course with a doll strapped to their back. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know more about the event Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really fun, remind me of Shaun the Sheep Very Happy my son must love this too

I have this lens, never dissapoint me. better in sharpness than CZJ ..IMO... I had 4 copies of old sonnar 135/3,5 CZJ, I sold all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks really fun, remind me of Shaun the Sheep

+1 love that children's program.A great series...there could be a few NZ or Australian jokes in this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible 3D effect in #4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm glad I took this lens now Smile My sheep came into second place in the end, in a race that takes just over 30 seconds normally from start to finish...these sheep are quick! Second wasn't enough for me to win a prize Sad He still got some food though Wink

This is the place I visited, The Big Sheep!

http://www.thebigsheep.co.uk/

The shepherds were hilarious and showed us how to shear a sheep (shot taken with my Planar 50/1.4 @ f/2.8 ):

Well worth a visit and very educational!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very enjoyable series! Great quality, my favourites are #4 and 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there gambling on which sheep will win, place and show in the race? The video on the big sheep web site was hilarious!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sheep racing is really fun Very Happy ...great serie and great lens for sure but it seems that all (of almost all) 135mm are great performer!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:
Is there gambling on which sheep will win, place and show in the race? The video on the big sheep web site was hilarious!

Yes, although it's for kids really and all you win is a sheep mug Laughing

Thanks everyone Smile