Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[SERIES] St. John Baptist Abbey in Vigolo Marchese
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: [SERIES] St. John Baptist Abbey in Vigolo Marchese Reply with quote

I finally found the time and will to "cook" one of my series after many months. In fact it is the first one I completed after the loss of my father. It was good to remind myself that I am a photographer first, and only after, a lens collectioner (am I?).

The series is centred on the Abbey of St.John Baptist (San Giovanni Battista) in Vigolo Marchese.
Vigolo Marchese is a very small village about 20-25 minutes car from where I live. I give the descriptions on the web pages.
The abbey series is preceeded by a mini-series on a place that is just outside my town, an old mill that was bombed in WWII and never rebuilt because the phantom of a man who died there many years ago is believed to infest this place. In our dialect we call the place "al Mulin?as", which is something that is not really translateable in English, the nearest thing I can think of is "the bad Mill" or "the evil Mill", but there is also a touch of "the ruined Mill" in the meaning.

Three lenses were used for this series: the new purchases Yashica ML 24mm and Kaleinar-3B 150mm, plus an old time favourite the Contax Planar 1.4/50.
Indication of which lens is given on the pages.

This is the URL of the series I hope you enjoy it:

www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/index.html

-

Last edited by Orio on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Inhaling* ummm, pleasant aroma, good cooking! Young Orio has been
busy, what a fantastic series! That tree is amazing, so ancient looking...

I'm surprised (not that it was missed) that you didn't use the Flek 4/20
for some of these.

I appreciate the synergism of you + a Canon 5D! Thanks for sharing!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

I'm surprised (not that it was missed) that you didn't use the Flek 4/20
for some of these.
I appreciate the synergism of you + a Canon 5D! Thanks for sharing!
Bill

Well, I had the new 24mm to try out, and like you said, on the 5D a 24mm can be wide enough (although I could have used the Flek on a couple of shots). Smile
But, I will get back there for sure with the Flek, it's so near home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you are making it hard for me to chose a picture. Some of the
interior views in this series are simply stunning, like the baptismal (?),
the view through the doorway to outside, marvelous!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots, the interiors are great but my favourite row is the second one down - just don't ask me to choose a specific shot!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series
this yashica 24 look damn good from border to border
I like 9th with all the detail in stones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planar 1.4/50 <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

this yashica 24 look damn good from border to border

yes, and the bokeh is surprisingly good for a 24mm lens.
Too bad for the vignetting wide open, but sometimes (like in #4) it may even convey a particular atmosphere to the image.
#4 reminds me a lot of the results I get from one of my Summicron-R 50 copies, which behaves the same way, dreamy and vignetting.
Sometimes people adds fake vignetting to their pictures for the sake of mood, so why not use a truly vignetting lens instead? Wink Laughing
But if you want more normal results from the Yashica it's best to use it at f/4 like in picture #23. It can really focus close-up, so even at f/4 the background is still well blurred.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Lovely shots, the interiors are great but my favourite row is the second one down - just don't ask me to choose a specific shot!

Richard I am not sure to understand, do you mean the second one from the bottom?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

Richard I am not sure to understand, do you mean the second one from the bottom?

No my favourites are shot's 7-11 (second row from top), but I can't decide which of those I like most. The other shots are great too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely. I really like the interior ones especially.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great shots, what a "sujet"! I love the light and shadow play!
Very nice series of a haunted place.

P.S.: It is nice to have "real" 24mm... Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like indoor shoots pretty much!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

You have done it again. I really enjoy your series "with a story". The lenses are quite up to your demands, especially your "new" 24. But you also did a wonderful job displaying the strength of that kaleinar. Under those light conditions the saturation was remarkable.

Thank you again

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick!
The magical place helped me a lot Smile It's a very small village almost forgotten. There is this very ancient church that used to be one of the stops for the pilgrims that went from France to Rome and back. Today, nobody remembers of it. No tourist guide speaks of it and almost no art book mentions it. You go there and most of the time, there is nobody for hours, you can stand alone in this beautiful place for hours.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful series Orio.

I only saw about half of them though. I keep getting so many pop-ups. Sometimes it all by itself took me to some kind of yellow pages. Then when I clicked off from that it closed me out. I loved what I saw but finally gave up. All the while my computer was saying 97 pop-ups blocked.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this a year ago?
These are wonderful shots.
I really enjoy the mood you captured on the indoor scenes.
Did you use a tripod for these.
I would guess no but the exposures are so well controlled.
Excellent!