Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sell a Helios 40-2 for a summicron 90?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Sell a Helios 40-2 for a summicron 90? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these lenses. I have the Helios which I love but I find it the most difficult of all my lenses to focus. Im not sure if it's because of the thin DOF or because of the overly rugged build. It feels a bit like a old tank attached to my camera.

I personally love the bokeh but have to be quite careful where I point it. Being a preset lens somewhat makes up for the time lost in focusing.

Im using a sony so m42 and Leica R are my only options. I will have to convert the summicron but it seems like a fairly painless (and reversible) process.

Does anybody else find the Helios difficult to focus? Im looking for THE portrait lens in m42 or Leica R.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Connor12

In my humble opinion, they are different lenses that offer different options for pictures.

I believe that it would be convenient for you to have both. And, like first option, for my form to see, the Summicron.

Regards, R I N O

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having both of them would be nice. Leica may not suitable for lady's portrait.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm, keep both.... I'd love to but can't afford it. In fact I would have to sell the Helios first before buying the summicron.

Im a bit scared about losing some of the helios "magic" that can sometimes turn a boring picture into something special.

dekiller, the summicron would be too sharp for female portraits? That would be what I use it for most. I've been lookin at flickr but you can never tell how much post processing they've done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...

Well, if you have the Helios, don't sell it.

I would be very happy if have it

USE IT, i think that it's the better choice.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give up a 40-2 for a Cron 90 anytime!
OK, I do not have either lens, but the Helios is huge and the bokeh is not my taste.
The pics that I have seen taken with the Cron are amazing.
If it is only half as good as the Cron 50, it's THE lens!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price for the Helios has gone up so much that it would be a straight swap for a summicron. A mint condition helios-40-2 just went for 390 euro (495 dollars) on ebay!

How is the 50 for focusing? I find that some lenses just pop into focus easier than others.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are quite sure you really need f/2, I suggest that you also consider Elmarit 90, even the first version is quite good, see http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_elmarit90.html, especially the linked full-size versions of the photos.

I had a Helios-40-2, but I found out I practically never used apertures larger than f/4 even for portraits due to the difficulty of getting the focus just so.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I would give up a 40-2 for a Cron 90 anytime!
OK, I do not have either lens, but the Helios is huge and the bokeh is not my taste.
The pics that I have seen taken with the Cron are amazing.
If it is only half as good as the Cron 50, it's THE lens!

Hi, LP!!

The LEICA lenses, specially the M series, is the better choice.

I had lot of M series lenses.

One of my favorite is the summicron M 50/2 second series. One time I went to a church that had a gallery. I took pics of this. When I saw them, thought than anything in the slides was wrong. They had spots in the walls . I became to the church to see the walls. The spots were there, but simply with your eyes you can't see them.

I try, as the mayority if us, lenses of almost all the brands, but LEICA M is the best (Leica R and Zeiss are similar, But M is better than both).

They are expensivo, but. . . . . .

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have A Summicron-R 90, it's one of my top lenses, it's a little bit soft wide open, sharp @ 2.8 and razor sharp @ 4...11.
I love this lens but i don't know the Helios.
Let me know If you want me to show some Images taken with the Summicron.

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both lenses from them I vote for Helios, but from all choices I vote for Carl Zeiss lenses either Jena or Oberkochen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no experience with 40-2.

But I got a Cron-R 90 (non-APO) from Andy and it's one of my fav. A little soft at f2, but sharp thereon. The bokeh...ahhhhh, it's Leica creamy. The softness at f2 is IMHO is very beautiful for portraits. I think 'dekiller' must have been referring to the APO version when he mentioned that it may not be suitable for lady's portrait, which is reputed to be very sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
Sorry no experience with 40-2.

But I got a Cron-R 90 (non-APO) from Andy and it's one of my fav. A little soft at f2, but sharp thereon. The bokeh...ahhhhh, it's Leica creamy. The softness at f2 is IMHO is very beautiful for portraits. I think 'dekiller' must have been referring to the APO version when he mentioned that it may not be suitable for lady's portrait, which is reputed to be very sharp.

Bawang

I see that you appreciate the LEICA quality. I dare to suggest, since you

likes the portraits , that use the LEICA M series. You can choose between

the summilux M 75/1,4, Summicron M 90/2 (any version), Elmarit M

90/2,8 (any version). But if you want to more soft lens you have the two

Screw lenses Summarex and thambar.

My option M 75/1,4 .

Leica M lenses aren't so used than can be - excelent quality, beleave me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:

dekiller, the summicron would be too sharp for female portraits?

No.
I used to have the Summicron-R 90 and it's quite dreamy wide open. Not as dreamy as the Helios-40, but still surely on the soft side.
Stopped down the cron 90 sharpens up, but it's never as sharp as the Elmarit-90.
I ended up selling the Summicron because it's too soft for my liking wide open. I prefer the crystal clarity of the Elmarit. Fact is I know how to make a sharp lens take soft photos - but I don't know how to do the other way around.

The Helios-40 is dreamier than the cron 90 wide open, but it's also sharper than the cron when stopped down.

At the moment in that focal range I own Planar 85, Sonnar 85, Elmarit 90 and Helios-40 (75mm) and I sold the Summicron.
So I guess my choices explain better than my words what I prefer.
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Stopped down the cron 90 sharpens up, but it's never as sharp as the Elmarit-90.-

I agree.

Orio wrote:
.... Fact is I know how to make a sharp lens take soft photos - but I don't know how to do the other way around.-

And who know? Laughing Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick to the helios or look for a pancolar 80 (for M42).
The Cron 90 that I traded to Khidhir was a sweet little lens but, I always chose my my Zeiss lenses or the H-40 first.
For me it was simply a matter of personal preference.
I agree with the assessment Orio gives us.
The lens is softish before f4 with nice Bokeh.
Sharpens up nicely but never as sharp as my Planar 85 or the H-40.
The older model has a collapsible built in hood that is almost effective (sometimes to short to really help).
There is no difference between the 3 early versions optically if I understand correctly.

The Helios 40-2 that I had was also sold. Optically it performed as my old one.
In use I found the older one was easier to get to focus accuracy. The model of H-40 I have is a Prototype. I swear that the Helicoid is better (no play and more response with less turning effort) than the late production lenses.

Just to encourage you if you choose to sell your H-40-2. I sold mine with a BIN for $500. You should have no trouble with nice pics and description. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 40-2 focuses like a dream on 40d LiveView. I suspect it could be a nightmare on my 400d.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Stopped down the cron 90 sharpens up, but it's never as sharp as the Elmarit-90.
I ended up selling the Summicron because it's too soft for my liking wide open. I prefer the crystal clarity of the Elmarit. Fact is I know how to make a sharp lens take soft photos - but I don't know how to do the other way around.
-

As I dont shoot film, that is a very good point. I have had a quick look and the elmarit seems like incredibly good value at in and around the 160 euro mark. I am also pretty sure that with my tiny a100 viewfinder and manual focussing "skills" even I can make the elmarit dreamily soft. Thanks for all advice everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sell a Helios 40-2 for a summicron 90? Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:

Im using a sony so m42 and Leica R are my only options. I will have to convert the summicron but it seems like a fairly painless (and reversible) process.

I am also using Minolta/Sony. Do you have a link how to convert Leica R to Minolta AF mount? I am also trying to fine alternate to Sony lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=27937593

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I just sold the Helios for 400 euro!!! I reckon I can pick up a 90 and a 135 elmarit for that price. A fair swap I think. Happy days... Very Happy My steinheil quinar 135 is a beautiful lens but it attracts so much attention. It can be difficult getting candid shots when everyone is watching you.

According to http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html there are 3 versions of the 135. Im guessing either of the last two versions are worth while. There is quite a bit of contradictory information on the net though.

Any advice on this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
According to http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html there are 3 versions of the 135. Im guessing either of the last two versions are worth while. There is quite a bit of contradictory information on the net though.

Any advice on this?

The differences are rather slight, but the close-up and full aperture performance of the newest version is better. It is a good but quite heavy lens, much heavier than the 4/180 Elmar-R. I've got one of the first specimens of the last version (serial number starting 2773..), and it is my favorite SLR 135.
Test shots at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_elmarit135.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the h40-2 is heavy beast alright but on the DCS520/560 it felt balanced, which I can shoot hand held all day. Can't say that on the 20d - keep shooting the feet - hahaha only jokingly of course.

I rather like the range of DOF Helios offers.
Never used the other lens though for comparison sake.

I guessed no harm keeping the Helios judging from the price hikes recently.
I paid $150, 2 years ago and the saying goes kilograms in your hand is better then the pounds in the bank LOL.