Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for m4/3 (Oly EPL1)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for m4/3 (Oly EPL1) Reply with quote

This is my first lens purchase of 2012. It's an amazing lens; so small and remarkable quality. I do not know if my photographic skills will be up to getting the best out of it.

Lack of time and good weather has meant I've only had the chance for a few shots in a brief bit of sunshine at work last Wednesday (25 Jan). All shot at either f3.5 of f4. A few have the tiniest tweak to levels but I didn't really need to bother. No other PP.

We call this "dipole henge" These are the old dipole vacuum vessels from the Daresbury Synchrotron Radiation Source that was decommissioned a year or so ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures taken today. All at f4. Focus set to just before infinity. No need to adjust at all.

The fisheye pictures that I like are those that do not pretend to be a just very wide angle. Make a virtue of the distortion. My favourites from these are Nos. 2 & 7.

The lens seems very resistant to flare. Getting a very symmetric composition is very difficult (for me anyway).

It's also very easy to get yourself in the picture without noticing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great series! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, look like a lot of fun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks awesome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

declan wrote:
looks awesome

+1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a crazy, fun lens Very Happy I like your shots Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots. Now that I'm planning to buy a m4/3 this could be one on my list.

It is also good to see pics of a place I pass by almost every week on way to work!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more examples. A recent work trip to Jefferson lab in the USA. Not a great photo opportunity; these were taken around the Lab site. No PP other than cropping and resizing. I am impressed with this lens. It is sharp and gives rich colours with no sign of CA. Due to the bright conditions, these were all taken at f5.6. This gives almost infinite depth of field, so no need to focus the lens, just set the focus ring to a bit before infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, the building looks like English sweets Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite sharp at minimum focus distance as well. Straight out of camera.

25% resize:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one shows some amazing rendering at close distance.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one cropped a bit:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
And one cropped a bit:

Wouldn't even have known this was shot with a fisheye had it not been said so. Rockinon also makes a m43 mf fisheye that i have seen some nice results from. Not really my cup of tea but i do enjoy what others can do with the fisheye, the dipole henge is really cool, having a physics degree i am trying to imagine what their purpose was.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is the same as Rokinon which is rebranded for the US market. Germany has Walimex for example, and there are more. Samyang is the original Korean manufacturer name if I'm correct.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I usually fail to realize the benefits of the dramatic effect of distortion you get with a lens like this, the 7th from the first series and the ant picture make one buy a fisheye!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an exeptional lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8063374264

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8096272004

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8195625222

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8194533019

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

It truly is!

Great pictures. Love them all. The night-scape is fantastic, but it's the first that I find truly exceptional. A beautiful scene and excellent composition; the sense of depth is fantastic. I take it you have de-fisheyed this one?

Thanks to everyone who has made kind comments about my efforts with this lens.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

It truly is!

Great pictures. Love them all. The night-scape is fantastic, but it's the first that I find truly exceptional. A beautiful scene and excellent composition; the sense of depth is fantastic. I take it you have de-fisheyed this one?

Thanks to everyone who has made kind comments about my efforts with this lens.

Mark

Thank you for your kind words, Mark!

I have not de-fisheyed any of my shots. When I want to avoid distortion, I just shoot with horizon in the middle Smile I just try to find scenes that distract from that aspect Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few Urban pictures from Oslo Wink