Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor MD 2/45 (Pancake)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Rokkor MD 2/45 (Pancake) Reply with quote

Hi!

I have received my Minolta Rokkor MD 2/45 yesterday. Hermes brought it when we were away, but thank to you friendly neighbours I've got the lens. Very Happy

I bought it to have a "little longer" normal lens for my NEX-3 and because it looked rather tiny. And since the Minolta MD register is shorter than the EOS or PK register, I expected the adapter to be shorter as well.

OK, I was right, but the difference is marginal, as you can see here:

(From left: Rokkor 2/45, Pentax-M 1.7/50, Leica Summicron-R 2/50)

The Leica is definitely bulkier than the Rokkor but the Pentax lens is about as compact as the Rokkor (and even a little faster!).
Anyway, the Pentax works as a 75mm lens on the NEX, whereas the Rokkor works like a "67.5" mm focal lenght and I have the impression that it is a tad wider. So it's rather a "normal" lens than the Pentax.

I will go outside and take some shots in our garden now, in order to see how the Rokkor performs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the Rokkor 2/45 fits pretty well to the NEX-3:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All shots taken as JPEGs, very basic PP: levels (in case), resizing, slightly resharpened.

f/2.0

f/2.8

f/4.0

f/8.0

I must say, I am pretty impressed by this little lens!
If you have a NEX and you are looking for a compact, rather fast and quite good lens, go for the Rokkor MD 2/45!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations , excelent choice !
I use it with very good results ( I already posted here some samples http://forum.mflenses.com/rokkor-45mm-t41076,highlight,%2Brokkor+%2B45.html , http://forum.mflenses.com/rokkor-45mm-f2-nex3-t39820,highlight,%2Brokkor+%2B45.html )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that looks quite good, even at wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Chevrolet Orlando?

Tomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 45mm F2 MD-Rokkor (also on NEX-3) was a great surprise for me, too. It is unbelievable that this fine lens is still that cheap. I really love it and rate it among the Voigtländer Ultron 40mm F2 and the Nikkor 50mm F2, for example.

Best regards,

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, Benedikt, I also think it's one of the much underrated lenses. Much better than the price seems to show!

tomasg wrote:
Is that a Chevrolet Orlando?

Yes, Tomas, it is. Amazing car for a family like us!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a bit more technical I think most photos came out a bit over exposed since all highlights are a bit too harsh.

The bokeh sometimes resembles that "trioplan-craze" that so much people look for.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

The bokeh sometimes resembles that "trioplan-craze" that so much people look for.

The second image show some intense highlights in the blurred areas. It was shot with strong sunlight diagonally from front, a situation where I would have expected heavy flaring.
The bokeh is quite creamy (see the wood shot) and yes, the bokeh highlights show some craze Wink which can be found often in pancake lenses.

Being a bit more technical I think most photos came out a bit over exposed since all highlights are a bit too harsh.

Hmmm... I cannot see over-exposure and also the level diagram shows exposure to the point.
But we know how much different displays show different results. Perhaps that's why...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rokkor X 45 f2 version.It never leaves my camera bag, except when it's on my camera of course. Very Happy
Shoot it wide open against a busy background and see what happens. Very Happy To me that is where this lens shines.

The photo below is wide open and demonstrates this. Sorry I didn't nail the focus dead on, it's on my 10D wit macro adapter.

" target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture of the flower @f4 is superb as a demonstration of the power of this lens. I got it some time ago and has remained unnoticed until now...
I'll pick it up and test wth the NEX-C3.
Thanks for sharing, Carsten!.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jes!

It's the third Rokkor lens that I have used:
- The first one was a 1.7/50 ... well, that's an OK lens, not at all bad but nothing special, really.
- The second one was a Rokkor 2/28... Wow! The best 28mm I have ever used, on par with the Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/28! Still one of my favourites and converted to EOS! Yeah!
- The third one is this one here, the MD 2/45 and this lens also amazes me. It seems that many Rokkors are pretty amazing pieces of gear!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking about getting some more MD lenses, by now I have tried:

- 28mm F3,5: very good and nice colours, but not as crisp as the 45mm
- 28mm F2,8: strangely similar to the F3,5 in all characteristics, I cannot tell the difference afterwards.
- 35mm F2,8: I should give it a second chance because it awfully disappointed me, but later I noticed the rear lens had a big fingerprint on it, so I can't rate it yet.
- 50mm F1,7: well, there are so many great 50s that this good one doesn't really stick out.

I was looking for something in the 100-135mm range, but the reviews I found were not that euphoric. What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 I got a triple headache looking at them

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Carsten, I wouldn't be surprised to see you using a MInolta film cam soon! Smile

Some of the pics do look a bit bright on my screen. The one of your garage is perfect though.

About your converted 2/28 - is it possible to use a lens with EF mount on the NEX?