Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor 58/1.2 brillant lens; new pics page 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "must have lens". I really don't want to thank you for that, but what a fine series

Very Happy Very Happy patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the word is out now on that lens. Just checked eBay and they have two listings, both BINs, with sky high prices. 55mm f/1.2 Nikkors and Canons are substantially cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool series. You are lucky to have this lens!

Excellent write here about this lens:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/minolta-rokkor-58-to-canon-eos-conversion.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well the word is out now on that lens. Just checked eBay and they have two listings, both BINs, with sky high prices. .

I blame karabud for this! he should have shot some ugly brick walls instead of those gorgeous pictures! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are every single one of these photos taken wide open? The lens resolves a lot of detail to my eye. Great lens in the hands of a great photographer Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Are every single one of these photos taken wide open? The lens resolves a lot of detail to my eye. Great lens in the hands of a great photographer Smile

Thx guys!
Yes, almost or all are wide open. This lens is very strange. Contrast and sharpness(sharpness at@1.2 is same as takumar or zeiss planar at@1.4 but at @1.4 rokk is better) isn`t very high when shooting wide open. But after adding it in pp it looks great and very sharp; none of my lenses are so susceptible to pp sharpening. Btw this lens is faster more than 1/2 stop than takumar.. and more than 1/3 than planar. Now i`m selling all my 50` and i keep Rokk and C/Y Planar, this 2 are very different and every special

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . it could be that the sharpness is there, but just that the contrast is a bit soft, so it isn't as evident. And that during pp, by increasing contrast, the existing sharpness is revealed. I have lenses that are like this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few from today:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 pics more

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
that`s one great lens!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thx, yes it`s great lens, my favourite 40-60mm lens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
shauttra wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thx, yes it`s great lens, my favourite 40-60mm lens

few years ago i had rokkor 50/1.2 but it wasn`t so good..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:

What was wrong with it? The usual story I hear is that it has bad bokeh but should be sharper/etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
shauttra wrote:

What was wrong with it? The usual story I hear is that it has bad bokeh but should be sharper/etc.

I used it only on film, bokeh was great and sharpness looks ok, i loved that lens.
Then i put it on DSLR with adapter(without correction lens) , and without possibility focus to infinity, and sharpness realy was bad.. all pictures from a DSLR I deleted..
Lens was not my own, I had borrowed it, but i will try to get it again Smile
There is sample on film, looks great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shauttra, I find that puzzling. I have some fast Canon FD lenses -- 85/1.2, 55/1.2, 50/1.4 -- and with my FD-EOS adapter, I can't focus very far, but the images look good at close distances. If I mount the correction lens in the adapter, then when I try to use the lenses wide open, yes, I get really bad flare.

Here's a yellow rose I shot with my 85mm f/1.2 SSC and FD-EOS adapter, lens wide open at 1.2:

If anything, photos with this lens and my DSLR are sharper than they are with my film cameras. Same is true with my FL 55/1.2 and my FD 50/1.4 SSC. Focusing with my DSLR is tricky though. It lies to me about what's in focus at fast f-stops. So I have to use Live View to make sure the subject is actually, really, and truly in focus.

The B&W photo you're showing looks very nice. If you have a chance to use the lens again, please post the photos next time before deleting them. Smile

Last edited by cooltouch on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i will try this lens again, maybe i was young and stupid when i use it first time Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Few from today:

Your shots are fantastic! this one (above) in particular. this lens can yield some wonderful results!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo ... sharp and nice bokeh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pics:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great 3D look in last serie! Color, contrast and sharpness are perfect too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, as I am used to see from this lens. I think you are bumping the contrast a bit too much though. The soft color rendering is one of the things that make this lens special.
You should also try the lens stopped down a bit to f/1.6-2.0 more (for variety) -- it transforms the bokeh a lot to become MUCH softer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great Rokkor pics!

AhamB wrote:
I think you are bumping the contrast a bit too much though

with my last Rokkor series, I was frustrated to not be able to play with the contrast, slightest adjustment blocked the shadows and I preferred to let it
karabud contrast bump give lot of pop, it attract attention, I like it but I guess it could be boring after a while

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few with strobes:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few more

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Popping colour! I want one! I want the lens too!
Wink