Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodinal and agitation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Rodinal and agitation Reply with quote

I have found online the developing times for Agfapan 100.
However there is no indication about how many agitations.
I am going to use Rodinal.
Do you have any idea?

With T-Max it would have been agitation every 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For every B&W film I developped, same agitation :
after pouring the chemicals, I shake the tank for 10 seconds, a few gentle taps on the bottom to remove eventual air bubbles and then I flip the tank twice every 30 seconds. This way, the developper is renewed on the film surface.
Don't keep the tank in you hands between agitations because it will raise the liquid temperature.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started experimenting with Rodinal and so far I'm impressed with it. Using 400iso, I get grain, but not excessive.

Dilution 1:50, 30 secs worth of slow inversions to start, followed by 2 inversions every 30 secs. I may cut this down to 60 secs to reduce contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best is to use the "Agfa" method as a test : 1 minute continous agitation, then once every 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1; used to do same years ago using that developper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
The best is to use the "Agfa" method as a test : 1 minute continous agitation, then once every 30 seconds.

+1
1 minute continuos
10 sec every 30 seconds until finished
These times for standard development only.
Less agitations to slow highlights burning out when exposures were in "hot" lighting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!
I will then follow the main road Smile
10 seconds every 30 seconds means 10+20+10+20 (simpler)... or 10+30+10+30 ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means 4 agitations... i don't understand your 10-30 :s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method has been since ever 30" continuous rotation (my tank is engineered that way) in the beginning then 5" every 30" until the expiration of development time. No matter which film or developer, unless I need something special. That said I think the most important thing is to get even development thorough the whole film, the agitation has to ensure to keep continuously fresh developer all along the film emulsion. As long as this is fulfilled everything will be ok. So my advice is just to pick up one method from the ones suggested, they are tested and will ensure even development.
This will make a starting point: upon your taste you'll want then to change it the next session. If you like more contrast you increase the agitation time, if you want less you decrease it. As you may have understood it's just a matter of experimentation (it' s part of the fun Smile IMO).

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Marty says adapt to your own.
The question of times for me is 30 secs then 10 agitate.
I use a rotary twist thingy that spins the spools in my patterson tank.
Spin clockwise then counterclockwise ten times.
Highlights develop and "use up" the developer faster than shadows.
If my highlights are suspected to be too hot.
I spin less or less often to introduce less fresh developer to those areas.
Like doing a minus development only for the highlights.
The shadows get more time to bring up some density.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
10 seconds every 30 seconds means 10+20+10+20 (simpler)... or 10+30+10+30 ?

You agitate 10" you wait 30" then agitate for 10" again. Until the development time expires. Simple as that.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiment/try this method:
Discard (and save) the developer in a jar, pour water in the tank and let it sit for a minute, discard the water continue with the saved developer. Repeat, and keep the total development time as recommended.
Interesting results, especially for the shadows where the developer is not exhausted and still works while highly diluted.

It used to be so much fun... and sometimes... disasters.