Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Restoring old cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
Painters at auto body shops might have some tips.

With old Land Rovers and other working vehicles it is sometimes desirable to keep the knocks and scars of a long life in order to preserve originality while others prefer concourse condition and would shrink from loading on tools and rubbish needing to be hauled away somewhere.

The external appearance of an old camera might signal its corresponding hard life as something worth relishing, or signal a preference for the concourse. In both cases, faking the appearance in order to appear as something it is not, is cheating if not made known to a buyer.

p.

I'm happy with a beat up appearance, CLA the insides and make it work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:

The external appearance of an old camera might signal its corresponding hard life as something worth relishing, or signal a preference for the concourse.

I have few very worn lenses here - among them a Nikkor 2.5/105mm -, and I like them for what they are. It would be meaningless to put a lot of work to "restore" such items, since like-new copies can easily be bought.

paulhofseth wrote:

In both cases, faking the appearance in order to appear as something it is not, is cheating if not made known to a buyer.

p.

I'm not talking about selling a restored lens. It's just fun to do it, for my own. The Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO lenses, for instance, have a strong tendency to loose their whitish color and to completely expose the aluminum below. Somehow the primer used must have been wrong (or completely omitted?). Around 2005 there was a group of people at the German "Minolta forum" restoring their (otherwise perfect) MinAF 2.8/200 APO lenses. It was fun Wink - and quite a lot of specific knowledge was exchanged ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: restoration Reply with quote

I mjust admit that a few decades ago, I used a sharpie pen on a shiny nick in the black "verlauffilter"threads of my Hologon in order to avoid reflexes, and today I will dismount, clean and oil the very UN-original K&N air filter on our 1959 vintage car.

p.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
The external appearance of an old camera might signal its corresponding hard life as something worth relishing, or signal a preference for the concourse. In both cases, faking the appearance in order to appear as something it is not, is cheating if not made known to a buyer.

I don't see it that way at all. As a seller I promise a buyer certain appearance and performance. How I get to that point is my business. What and how was cleaned and relubed, where I got the replacement parts - I do not owe that info to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Asahi Pentax "AP" Black Repaint 35mm SLR Camera w/ 58mm f/2 Takumar Lens N.Mint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: restoration Reply with quote

The paint advice above is useful, and for ones own pleasure, repainting is totally in order if so desired, such a concourse style item may well be worth having on the shelf,but if selling, might attract a different type of buyer-

The pernicious type of styling the exterior. is to give an impression of factory freshness when the innards are shot

p.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I will throw it in the garbage when I am done with the lens. Thank you very much.

Anyone want to know the GPS coordinates of that trash bin?

Let's just cut out the middleman. I'll give ya my address. Very Happy