Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recognizing the equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Recognizing the equipment Reply with quote

Camera and lenses sold as a lot. That is the only picture and I can't ask for more. I mean I can but it won't be done.
Any idea what am I dealing with? Do you recognize something?I'm paranoid and I think that the thing with one picture for the whole lot is done on purpose.
Here it is

Last edited by Himself on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can make is the Contax camera in the right down corner with the lens that doesn't look like a Contax lens and those 2 long ones in the middle at the edge next to what appears to be a macro lens given the recessed front element. The 2 long ones I see them as a 400/5.6 or 6.3. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch out for water damage, mildew etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more lazy than trying to do a scam.
This sort of sale usually gets lower prices, people are scared of the risk and the trouble of too much stuff.
I have bought lots like this before, each is a bit exciting, you don't know what you will get really, a bit like the lottery.
Anyway, a lot of Nikon's here. The lot seems like equipment from a photo class, a lot of the same things.
The two big ones in the back look like Soligor 400/6.3 or anyway the Tokina made auto lenses, maybe Vivitar brand. One 200/3.5 in the middle.
One Vivitar 28/2.5
Two of the zooms look like Tokina made 90-230/4.5
A lot of genuine Nikkors, there are at least eight Nikkor primes. I suspect most are 50/2. One is a 200/4, lower left, one the 105/2.5 (in the middle),
There are at least four Nikkormats and four Nikon FM/FE and maybe a N2020 in the middle.
One Pentax K2 with 50/2
Two Minolta x-series, I think X 570 probably with 50mm
Of course, two CanonF1 with motor drives and battery pack.
Cine camera in the middle is a 16mm Bolex, with its viewfinder beside it, and a few lenses for it are around, one is a long zoom.
Yeah, that's just the beginning

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens in front center Tamron adaptall-2 17A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree lazy seller. What? He has it laid out in his mud room! Laughing

I don't see a lot of dust dirt and grime -- the lenses I can see into look clean -- a big plus imho.

Hmmmm...how much would mflensers bid on it? Laughing

I think $500 is probably too much. $300, maybe...probably $200 tops?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a mix of brands & mounts, mos common seems to be Nikon/Nikkor, there are also Contax, Canon, Pentax, what looks to be Konica and Minolta, there might be more, I expect most common lenses will be 135/2.8, 50/2, and 28/2.8,
There could be a few interesting lenses, the Nikkor up front looks to be a 50/1.4, and a 105mm near the middle, I wouldn't spend much over $200 without better pictures or a list of lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see valuable lens in the photo but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressing amount of high tech of the past:
Nikkormats, Nikon FM/Fe, Canon F1new and and and...

But:
Toooo much, much to much for a coplete offer.
There is for buyer no guarantee, that cameras are working, lenses without fungus or scratches and so on.
For a risk loving buyer migt be an attractive offer, but why?
If it's all scrap, buyer has a problem, if items are correct working, seller should take time to offer separately.

Sometimes I think, what will happen, when I'm gone & my widow has to sell my equipment?
Very most items are like new and worth, but she will never find out value in my live time, I'm no stupid!
Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of the lot is about worthless. This is likely what was left in some storage room of stuff waiting to donate parts to other cameras. Don't expect too much, but You can find useful parts and also fix some lenses. The film camera is Bolex RX-4, but it is missing a winding handle. There is a Bolex quick release plate attached to the base, worth some bucks. No lenses for the camera visible other than the one at 2 o'clock from the camera. There is a zoom with a bright part at it's rear. Looks like c-mount, maybe an Angenieux.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one must be extra careful because there is too much temptation to bid high and get the hole lot but the hole lot may just be a bunch of bottom of the range, low value lenses/bodies that you will have a hard time selling to diminish your losses.

I find this kind of deals to be very attractive for camera mechanics which make a living by fixing instead of reselling, in a worst case scenario all they are risking is getting a bunch of spare parts for several bodies/lenses into their stash.

Try to find out if the seller is known to have sold this type of stuff in the past, that whole lot may be just what is left that wasn't worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!
The lot is sold by the government,Fisheries and Oceans Canada to be more precise. It's a hidden auction where one doesn't know how much bid the other one(s). Stupid thing. Bidding starts at $500 CAD. Inspection of the items is permitted only I'm not in the mood to drive 300km one way to see them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well decision, it's not worth the risk!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resale value for the Canon F1's alone is @$100-250 each. So the whole thing might get you a profit and some small return for your trouble, maybe, but I wouldn't bid $500 for this.
The Pentax K2 is worth $50+
Nikon FM/FE is worth something, depending on model and condition, anywhere from 30-100.
Of course you are taking a risk on condition, etc. I bid no more than 40% of expected resale on something like this to cover risk and bother.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some Nikon gear in the mix. Possibly a few Nikkormat bodies. The one in the lower left has a 200 F4 lens. I bought a lens just like it with caps and factory Ai kit for $40. The lone lens on the left looks to be some kind of 50 and I can see is factory Ai. The one in the middle may be a 105 or 135. There are a few other Nikon lenses in the mix but nothing I can see as particularly valuable. I think at $500, you could sell enough of the gear to get most of your money and still have the things you want to keep.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have so far - with conservative median values based on US ebay, if functional -
2xCanon F1 with motor and battery pack, one possibly with a Canon 50/1.4 - $150+$200
4xNikon FM/FE, 2x motor drives - 4x$40
4xNikkormat - 4x$10
2xMinolta x570 probably with 50/1.8 - 2x$30
1x Nikon N2020 - $10
1x Pentax K2 w/50/2 - $50
1x Contax RTS body - $30
1x Olympus OM-something - $20
1x Unknown 1970s SLR - ?
4-5 Misc rangefinder/consumer/polaroid cameras - $0

1xBolex REX-4 maybe missing winding handle, say for parts - $20
1xAngenieux 12-120 (seems likely) - $140
1xunknown probably small cine lens upper left - ?

8xNikkor lenses, misc - 8x$30 (average value)
2xTokina, probably Vivitar brand 400/6.3 - 2x$20
2xTokina, probably Vivitar brand 90-230/4.5 - 2x0
1xTokina, probably Vivitar brand 200/3.5 - $20
1xVivitar (Kino) 28/2.5 - $20
1xTamron Adaptall-2 17A Nikon Adaptall - $30
15 misc lenses not otherwise mentioned, unknown - 15x$5 (hey, one or two may be a surprise, maybe a macro there)

I make the expected net resale value (assuming no major functional issues) = @ $1300 or so
40% = $520
So the minimum bid of $500 is at the limit of the safety factor. Marginal deal.
Also consider a couple of days work inspecting testing selling packing shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis!
Your estimate is good only if the lenses are good. Being used by that government agency I suspect that those items have seen a lot of humidity. If it was here in Montreal I would've paid a visit to inspect them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I assess this stuff at only 40% of likely resale.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had time and inclination I could probably identify 80 to 90% of this stuff. 500 CAD does not sound too bad - a couple of F1's with FN winders and a 50/1.4, at least 5 Nikon bodies, although probably some are less valuable Nikkormats, what looks like a 16mm movie camera with at least one lens, here's your 500.

Last edited by Gardener on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Also consider a couple of days work inspecting testing selling packing shipping.

Couple of days? I almost guarantee every single one of those non-Ai Nikkors needs work and would have to be either sold at significant discount or CLA'd.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man-hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 2x cannon g10 in there thats £100 each +-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

1x Unknown 1970s SLR - ?

Very impressive list. Smile
I think your unknown 1970s SLR (chrome body, upper right corner next to the case?) is a Konica Autoreflex NT3 with a Hexanon 50/1.4 lens. Excellent gear, if in working order, but quite common and not terribly expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
8xNikkor lenses, misc - 8x$30 (average value)

that's pretty low estimate
but doesn't really change the whole picture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
What I have so far - with conservative median values based on US ebay, if functional -
2xMinolta x570 probably with 50/1.8 - 2x$30

I'm not sure about most of the stuff and this doesn't matter much, but I only see one Minolta X-570 and the lens looks like a second or third generation MD 35-70 mm f/3.5. They are worth 60 $ (2nd gen) to 100 $ (3rd gen) in good condition, not accounting for your reasonable safety margin. Could also be an MD 28-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 (~40 $), though.