Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rate your favorite lenses (f/1.2 and faster)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Rate your favorite lenses (f/1.2 and faster) Reply with quote

For many years I have mostly used a Pentax K-1 full frame, so my choice of super fast vintage lenses was limited.
Of the three f/1.2 lenses in PK mount I used on the K-1, the worst was the Porst/Cosina 1.2/55mm. The SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm was much better, but my favorite was the Revuenon/Tomioka 1.2/55mm, cause the bokeh is even smoother and has much less LoCA.
Recently I finally decided to buy a Sony A7II. The IQ is nowhere near the Pentax, but it has two advantages over the K-1: it's smaller and lighter, and can use any possible mount made for 35mm SLR and rangefinder cameras.
I love to shoot off-center subjects, I love low light photography, and I care very much for bokeh. Owning a Sony Alpha opens the gate to a whole lot of new opportunities, both vintage and new Chinese-made MF lenses.
Before asking about your own favorite fifties I add two more info. 1) I bought for a good price a NOS Techart Pro AF adapter (the wobbly one, but I am taking good care to avoid heavy lenses), so Leica M and M39 are also welcome. 2) I also bought a Porst 1.2/50mm (I.E. X-Fujinon EBC 1.2/50mm in old Fujica bayonet mount), but I had no time to try it cause the adapter did't arrive before I had to leave. I am curious to know how it compares to the fast fifties I have already used.

Given the scenario I already described, which super fast fifties would you choose?
Would you go for a manual focus f/1.1 (or faster) Chinese lens in FE or LM mount, or still go vintage? The comparison makes more sense if we consider similarly priced lenses. For example a brand new (2023 release) Mr. Ding f/1.1 50mm goes for way less than 300 USD where I am living...

Regarding vintage lenses, I would appreciate a lot if the answers give indications about WHY (bokeh, sharpness, control of aberrations, etc) and not just WHAT. A simple list of names would not be as useful.

Cheers
Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one lens faster than 1.6 - Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 50mm f0.95. I rarely use it but when I do it's for night urban photography and i really like cyberpunk-ish vibe it's producing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.2 is an obvious one, Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.2 also. The Canon 50mm F/0.95 dream lens (range finder)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one full frame f/1.2 at the moment. I think it is not a bad lens but not up to the same level as my Contarex 55/1.4.
http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-yashinon-auto-55mm-f1-2-on-a7r-ii-t78610.html

The Minolta MD 50/1.2 is decent on A7. It is better than the tomioka.

Looking for sharpness and control of aberrations on vintage f/1.2 or faster lenses may not be the best idea. Modern lenses with new optical glasses and aspherical element will beat vintage lenses easily.

Last edited by calvin83 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion Mr. Ding E-mount is the way to go. It is a brand new lens with nice build quality and bokeh performance too. The only drawback are extreme corners at infinity - the lens is not really meant for landscapes.

I've been using my early version (s.n. E000x) extensively since March 2022. The cost was ~$300 including postage & EU tax.

Last edited by y on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t have a f/1.2 at the moment, but I’ve had the following lenses:

- Hexanon 57/1.2
- Rokkor 58/1.2
- Porst 55/1.2

I like the Hexanon most, because it’s decently sharp wide open and has a MFD of 45cm. Bokeh wide open is quite wild, but kinda cool.

The Rokkor is a good lens, but has a MFD of 60cm, which is a drawback IMO, because it limits the creative possibilities somewhat (I prefer a f/1.4 lens with shorter MFD.

The Porst I used in aps-c size sensor, so I can not really compare. I believe it was quite soft at f/1.2, but I’ve seen some stunning work from a photographer made with this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only f/1.2 lens I've ever owned was an EBC Fujinon 50mm in Fujica AX mount.
It became disused when my Fujica system was retired in favour of Pentax and eventually sold to an enthusiast in Japan for around 10x what it cost me Smile
What always impressed me, bearing in mind I was using an optical viewfinder on a film camera, was that in low light I could often see detail through the viewfinder that was invisible to the naked eye, such was the light-gathering properties of the lens.
As for performance ... I only ever used it in low light situations, almost invariably with fast film, so the true optical capabilities were probably never really appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used many lenses as fast as f/1.2 or faster and I'm personally also way more drawn to experimental lenses than regular taking ones... so take my rating with a grain of salt:

JML 56 mm f/1.2 (it is said to be made for the same application/with similar specs than the CRT-Nikkor: https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/record2/crt.html)
It does not cover full frame at infinity, but I guess it was made for close-up work anyway, so that's where it is a lot of fun:

Defying the bleakness by simple.joy, on Flickr

Way into fall transitions by simple.joy, on Flickr

Over riding by simple.joy, on Flickr

JML Optical 64 mm f/0.85
This lens is heavy, cumbersome to adapt and limited in its possible magnification. It still is very interesting to me personally, because it allows for some awesome and unique experiments:

Nail-in focus? by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Always try to keep it drill! by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Closer to the essence still... by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Predates us by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Tomioka Cosinon Auto 55 mm f/1.2
I was initially disappointed by its wide-open performance... after some time I realized that my reference for wide-open sharpness (the Sigma Art 35 and 50 mm f/1.4) were not really a fair comparison. When I looked at some shots later I didn't think it was bad at all. Just way more glow than a modern lens shows and a significant amount of CAs wide open. It can be distracting (the rendering of this lens is generally not everyone's taste) but I think it is a capable lens overall.

Last edited by simple.joy on Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to buck conventional wisdom and say that the Minolta MD 50 f/1.2 IMO actually produces better images for most use cases than the MC 58mm f/1.2, although the jump right from 1.2 to f/2 on the aperture ring is kind of a bummer. The 58 is still quite a nice lens, though.

The Canon FL 55/58mm f/1.2 is very underrated with great rendering, and the Pentax K and A 50mms (identical optically) are nice all-arounders. The Porst/Yashica is IMO massively overrated and has some of the worst CAs I've ever seen in a standard length prime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.2 is an obvious one, Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.2 also. The Canon 50mm F/0.95 dream lens (range finder)

Having owned (and sold off) the Canon "dream lens," I find its utterly exorbitant price to far outweigh the very limited benefits f/0.95 gives over the FL 1.2s, which have very similar rendering. Nice for bragging rights, though. The Hexanon is an excellent lens, although it is much more contrasty than just about any other lens in its class, which makes the dreamy, ethereal shots that a lot of people like 1.2s for harder to manage on it. If you're into the Konica look, though, it's great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
JML Optical 64 mm f/0.64
This lens is heavy, cumbersome to adapt and limited in its possible magnification. It still is very interesting to me personally, because it allows for some awesome and unique experiments:

I think you may have meant to type f/0.85

Still, impressive spec and results, and I can well believe this lens is a bit of a handful!

My own experience is limited to the Minolta ROKKOR 58/1.2.

I can say from personal experience that at f/1.2 the filter/sensor stack is definitely impacting on performance and on a digital camera the ROKKOR 58/1.2 does not perform the same when used wide-open as it does on film. Less "blooming" and residual SA when used on film at f/1.2.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy is able to justify such an aperture with his consistent photography and his niche

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
JML Optical 64 mm f/0.64

I think you may have meant to type f/0.85

Still, impressive spec and results, and I can well believe this lens is a bit of a handful!

My own experience is limited to the Minolta ROKKOR 58/1.2.

I can say from personal experience that at f/1.2 the filter/sensor stack is definitely impacting on performance and on a digital camera the ROKKOR 58/1.2 does not perform the same when used wide-open as it does on film. Less "blooming" and residual SA when used on film at f/1.2.

Oh, yeah - of course! Thanks for pointing that out.

The Rokkor 58/1.2 does sound interesting - have never tried one.

Is there really any lens which can be called 'sharp' at f/1.2? So far everything (older) I‘ve seen falls apart when looked at 100%, even faster lenses which are already stopped down. Only MF exceptions are modern lenses like the Cosina Voigtländer lenses etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one full frame lens that fast, the ZY Optics 85mm Speedmaster 1.2.

It's a fantastic lens, sharp across the frame wide open (even though the focal plane at 1.2 is razor thin) with excellent soft bokeh.

Possible negatives include the weight, which is considerable (a bit lighter than the notoriously heavy Helios-40-2), and a minimum focus distance of 1m. Neither of those are a big problem for me, but they might be for others.

I like mine enough I picked up another in GFX mount, and I use it quite often.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had canon fl 55/1.2. I would say it's all quite specific. Pretty much non-contrasting, bokeh for an amateur. When you start looking for some portraits, it turns out that in most cases you can find some flowers on MDF on old high-power lenses.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iPjx9tBmMa9jMHZVA

p/s
translator what the hell did you write : )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flowers on medium density fibre board Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with f1.2 lenses at f1.2 is very limited, but I own a few vintage f1.2 lenses and might contribute some comparing images if that's interesting.

Canon FL 1.2/58mm
Canon FD 1.2/55mm
Canon nFD 1.2/50mm L
Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L
Minolta MC-II 1.2/58mm
Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm
Minolta MD-II 1.2/50mm
Minolta MD-III 1.2/50mm
Nikkor S. C. Auto 1.2/55mm
Nikkor Ai 1.2/55mm

I also know people who own the Olympus Zuiko OM 1.2/55mm and the Konica Hexanon AR 1.2/57mm.

Let me know what kind of comparison you wish.

S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
My experience with f1.2 lenses at f1.2 is very limited, but I own a few vintage f1.2 lenses and might contribute some comparing images if that's interesting.

Canon FL 1.2/58mm
Canon FD 1.2/55mm
Canon nFD 1.2/50mm L
Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L
Minolta MC-II 1.2/58mm
Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm
Minolta MD-II 1.2/50mm
Minolta MD-III 1.2/50mm
Nikkor Ai 1.2/55mm

I also know people who own the Olympus Zuiko OM 1.2/55mm and the Konica Hexanon AR 1.2/57mm.

S

Wow - that's quite the collection. Thanks a lot for the offer!

What I'm personally the most interested in would be image quality in the central 2/3 of the image (in terms of sharpness, glow, CAs) at f/1.2! Image quality in the very edges, as well as distortion might be interesting as well and perhaps relevant to some people (even though I can't really think of the application at f/1.2), but don't seem very important to me. I guess the most interesting would be to see how those lenses compare at a usual (waist up) portrait distance.

But that's just my thoughts...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please include wide-open starfield examples!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a 1.2 lens ,but I was tempted to get one.
If I'm correct, the 55mm 1.2 has close DOF with 58mm 1.4 so, for someone looking for a thin DOF I'm not sure 50mm would be the right choice (maybe dream lens?). Probably best choice would be a fast 58mm 1.2 ,Minolta I like a lot but ain't easy to find it for a good price , meantime I'm happy with Topcor 58mm 1.4
I'm sure ,more experienced people would explain better the benefits at least regarding the bokeh on so fast lenses.
The Canon asph should be nice to see on some test against other fast Lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent low light kid portrait I shot using the Canon FL 55mm/1.2. Ever so slightly front focused, so the eyes are a bit soft, but the sharpness on the eyelashes/eyebrows is outstanding. For shallow-DOF portratiure, it may be my favorite vintage lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

Here's a recent low light kid portrait I shot using the Canon FL 55mm/1.2. Ever so slightly front focused, so the eyes are a bit soft, but the sharpness on the eyelashes/eyebrows is outstanding. For shallow-DOF portratiure, it may be my favorite vintage lens.

Excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Canon FL 1.2/58mm
Canon FD 1.2/55mm
Canon nFD 1.2/50mm L
Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L
Minolta MC-II 1.2/58mm
Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm
Minolta MD-II 1.2/50mm
Minolta MD-III 1.2/50mm
Nikkor Ai 1.2/55mm

S

Take all these 50* mm lenses + a tripod + a human model and take the waist portraits in the place where the character of the bokeh appears best (and preferably several different places)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Canon FL 1.2/58mm
Canon FD 1.2/55mm
Canon nFD 1.2/50mm L
Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L
Minolta MC-II 1.2/58mm
Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm
Minolta MD-II 1.2/50mm
Minolta MD-III 1.2/50mm
Nikkor Ai 1.2/55mm

S

I forgot to list the Zuiko 55/1.2 that I briefly had. Don’t remember too much about it, but didn’t quite like it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
stevemark wrote:
My experience with f1.2 lenses at f1.2 is very limited, but I own a few vintage f1.2 lenses ...
S

Wow - that's quite the collection. Thanks a lot for the offer!

What I'm personally the most interested in would be image quality in the central 2/3 of the image (in terms of sharpness, glow, CAs) at f/1.2! Image quality in the very edges, as well as distortion might be interesting as well and perhaps relevant to some people (even though I can't really think of the application at f/1.2), but don't seem very important to me. I guess the most interesting would be to see how those lenses compare at a usual (waist up) portrait distance.

But that's just my thoughts...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I would be interested too. I haven't done it yet since many moons ago I've done some work comparing the Minolta AF 2/100mm, the MinAF 1.4/85mm and the Sony Zeiss ZA 1.4/85mm for Sony Switzerland. Even though I had a very experienced model at that time, and even though we were shooting in Firenze (Florence), the whole thing was a pain in the a**. Depth of field is so narrow, that the slightest (and i mean slightest) movement of the model or me did result in inconsistent / not really comparable results. We finally made it, but it took quite some time and maaaany (mostly wasted) images. The story was published with large size (A3 / 30x40cm) images in the Sony Fotospiegel, but after that I was done comparing lenses at portrait distances Wink. Let's see if I can find a patient model Wink.

BTW ... those lenses came here quite naturally. Apart from the very first f1.2 lens (the MC-II 1.2/58mm) I never specifically was looking for them. The Canon FL came as part of a set including an SLR and the FL 2.5/135mm for about CHF 100.--, the FD 1.2/55 has a missing pin which is only needed for exact metering on certain Canon SLRs (and therefore was rather cheap), the 1.2/50L was new-in box (directly from a collector who never had used its => aperture stuck open ...) for next to nothing (well, CHF 150.--), and so on.

visualopsins wrote:
Please include wide-open starfield examples!

Excellent idea! Thanks!

BrianSVP wrote:

Very nice image and very nice model Wink!! While I don't have the FL 1.2/55, I own the earlier FL 1.2/58, and your image reflects exactly the weakness of those lenses: wide open, they are not really sharp. Apart from some test shots, I have never been working with my FL 1.2/58mm. In contrast to the Canon FL 1.2/58, the Minolta MC-II/MC-X 1.2/58 as well as the different 1.2/55mm Nikkors have lots of detail at f1.2, and not only in the very center! In fact the Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm has nearly no lateral CAs if stopped down to f5.6; it certainly can be used wide open for dreamy portraits, at f2 or f2.4 for "tack sharp" portraits and from f4 onwards for corner-to-corner tack sharp landscape images (always talking about 24 MP FF).

I just talked to the guy owning a Konica AR 1.2/57mm (he will lend me his lens for testing); I'll have to contact the Oly guy as well, and the find a suitable model Wink

S