Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rate your favorite lenses (f/1.2 and faster)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a slightly more systematic evaluation of onE of those lenses (no nice models yet, I'm sorry)!

ATTENTION: CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGES TO SEE THEM AT 100% (MY BROWSER IS ENLARGING THEM TO MAYBE 140% WHICH CAUSES THEM TO LOOK TERRIBLY BLURRED; IN ADDITION MANY COLOR SUBLTLETIES ARE BLOWN OUT)

First a 100% crop from the center (24 MP FF Sony A7II). Strong and obvious purple fringing as well as "glow" at f1.2; freinging and glow nearly gone at f2.0, and fringing and glow completely gone at f2.4:

Surprisingly constistent image quality all over the 24 MF frame at f1.2:

Image quality / rendering near the 24 MP FF corner at f1.2, f2.8, f5.6 and f11:

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far, my best 1,2 lens is the Sony 50/1,2 in MF mode.
Very sharp and nice bokeh from wide open

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
BTW ... those lenses came here quite naturally. Apart from the very first f1.2 lens (the MC-II 1.2/58mm) I never specifically was looking for them. The Canon FL came as part of a set including an SLR and the FL 2.5/135mm for about CHF 100.--, the FD 1.2/55 has a missing pin which is only needed for exact metering on certain Canon SLRs (and therefore was rather cheap), the 1.2/50L was new-in box (directly from a collector who never had used its => aperture stuck open ...) for next to nothing (well, CHF 150.--), and so on.
S

Still trying to work out whether this is a typical Swiss "problem", or a more Stephan-specific one ... Wink

stevemark wrote:
This is a slightly more systematic evaluation of onE of those lenses (no nice models yet, I'm sorry)!

ATTENTION: CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGES TO SEE THEM AT 100% (MY BROWSER IS ENLARGING THEM TO MAYBE 140% WHICH CAUSES THEM TO LOOK TERRIBLY BLURRED; IN ADDITION MANY COLOR SUBLTLETIES ARE BLOWN OUT)

First a 100% crop from the center (24 MP FF Sony A7II). Strong and obvious purple fringing as well as "glow" at f1.2; freinging and glow nearly gone at f2.0, and fringing and glow completely gone at f2.4:

Surprisingly constistent image quality all over the 24 MF frame at f1.2:

S

This glow I find typical of fast legacy lenses when used on digital camera. There is this pesky optical flat (AA/IR filter) in front of the sensor that the film-era lens designer simply wasn't expecting.

Maybe some would say this problem is purely theoretical, but the math and my own experience would suggest otherwise.

Optical theory would suggest that any modern lens of approx. f/1.4 or faster, designed specifically for use on digital cameras, would ideally need a camera-specifc optical flat to be mounted between the lens and sensor such that the lens is presented with a consistent piece of flat optics in the image-space, regardless of camera used.

This would of course be a marketing nightmare, as for every different camera/sensor combination a specific set of collimation shims and flat compensation filter would need to be supplied. E.g the lens would need to be designed for a 4mm optical flat in the image space; a camera with a 1mm AA/IR filter would then need a 3mm compensation filter, a camera with a 2.5mm AA/IR filter would need a 1.5mm compensation filter, etc. (assuming broad consistency in refractive index of the glass used).

Likewise, it would be interesting to see how new f/1.2 lenses specifically designed for use on a digital sensors perform at f/1.2 when used on film; They would likely also suffer from residual Seidel aberrations because of the missing AA/IR filter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure sample variation plays a role. My experiences with this lens vis a vis the Minolta 58s are more or less the reverse of what yours are, with the Minolta showing substantially more CA and poorer center sharpness wide open, at least on digital. This is shot on a Lumix S5 (with a relatively thin 1.45mm sensor stack) at "only" 24mp, but at full res it is pretty dang close to tack sharp at the sweet spot in the center, with individual eyebrow hairs, eyelashes, and pores on the subject's forehead showing well-defined edges, and the softness on the eyes is caused by being slightly behind the plane of focus. The in-thread display softens the appearance somewhat, and if you click on it, you'll get a somewhat larger (1600px) version that better shows the detail. Would the sharpness hold up on a 61mp sensor like on the A7IV? Well, perhaps not, but that is true of most vintage lenses. Stopped down further, this lens gets even better and behaves very similarly to the very well-regarded Tomioka 55mm f/1.4s The 1964 coatings are fairly primitive, and the overall contrast isn't as high as what you'd see on the Hexanon 57 1.2 or the Oly 50 1.2, but the sharpness is there.

This echos your point that this class of lenses can be very difficult to evaluate in real world shooting, since they are much less forgiving of technique than lenses with greater DOF. Combine the shallow DOF with the heavy field curvature inherent in these designs (significantly worse on 60's designs like this one than on the relatively modern Minolta/Sony AF lenses you mentioned you tested for Sony), and that one of their primary use cases is low light shooting where you are apt to encounter more motion blur, and things get even more challenging.

This shot, for example, I took at an evening Christmas party in fairly dim artificial light, and the subject wasn't really posing - she had just plopped down on a couch, and I wheeled around took the photo on aperture priority at ISO400, with what turned out to be a 1/50 sec shutter, and I was fortunate enough to capture an image that was very close to being perfectly in focus with little motion blur, but an ostensibly identical one I took a second and a half later is a blurry mess.

stevemark wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
stevemark wrote:
My experience with f1.2 lenses at f1.2 is very limited, but I own a few vintage f1.2 lenses ...
S

Wow - that's quite the collection. Thanks a lot for the offer!

What I'm personally the most interested in would be image quality in the central 2/3 of the image (in terms of sharpness, glow, CAs) at f/1.2! Image quality in the very edges, as well as distortion might be interesting as well and perhaps relevant to some people (even though I can't really think of the application at f/1.2), but don't seem very important to me. I guess the most interesting would be to see how those lenses compare at a usual (waist up) portrait distance.

But that's just my thoughts...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I would be interested too. I haven't done it yet since many moons ago I've done some work comparing the Minolta AF 2/100mm, the MinAF 1.4/85mm and the Sony Zeiss ZA 1.4/85mm for Sony Switzerland. Even though I had a very experienced model at that time, and even though we were shooting in Firenze (Florence), the whole thing was a pain in the a**. Depth of field is so narrow, that the slightest (and i mean slightest) movement of the model or me did result in inconsistent / not really comparable results. We finally made it, but it took quite some time and maaaany (mostly wasted) images. The story was published with large size (A3 / 30x40cm) images in the Sony Fotospiegel, but after that I was done comparing lenses at portrait distances Wink. Let's see if I can find a patient model Wink.

BTW ... those lenses came here quite naturally. Apart from the very first f1.2 lens (the MC-II 1.2/58mm) I never specifically was looking for them. The Canon FL came as part of a set including an SLR and the FL 2.5/135mm for about CHF 100.--, the FD 1.2/55 has a missing pin which is only needed for exact metering on certain Canon SLRs (and therefore was rather cheap), the 1.2/50L was new-in box (directly from a collector who never had used its => aperture stuck open ...) for next to nothing (well, CHF 150.--), and so on.

visualopsins wrote:
Please include wide-open starfield examples!

Excellent idea! Thanks!

BrianSVP wrote:

Here's a recent low light kid portrait I shot using the Canon FL 55mm/1.2. Ever so slightly front focused, so the eyes are a bit soft, but the sharpness on the eyelashes/eyebrows is outstanding. For shallow-DOF portratiure, it may be my favorite vintage lens.

Very nice image and very nice model Wink!! While I don't have the FL 1.2/55, I own the earlier FL 1.2/58, and your image reflects exactly the weakness of those lenses: wide open, they are not really sharp. Apart from some test shots, I have never been working with my FL 1.2/58mm. In contrast to the Canon FL 1.2/58, the Minolta MC-II/MC-X 1.2/58 as well as the different 1.2/55mm Nikkors have lots of detail at f1.2, and not only in the very center! In fact the Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm has nearly no lateral CAs if stopped down to f5.6; it certainly can be used wide open for dreamy portraits, at f2 or f2.4 for "tack sharp" portraits and from f4 onwards for corner-to-corner tack sharp landscape images (always talking about 24 MP FF).

I just talked to the guy owning a Konica AR 1.2/57mm (he will lend me his lens for testing); I'll have to contact the Oly guy as well, and the find a suitable model Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

No surprise here!

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
S

Still trying to work out whether this is a typical Swiss "problem", or a more Stephan-specific one ... Wink

Dunno ... probably both. BTW I just picked up a Nikkor S 2.8/35mm plus Pentax M 2.8/28 for CHF 15.--. The Nikkor has issues, but cosmetically looks very nice. It soon willl be restored.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
This glow I find typical of fast legacy lenses when used on digital camera. There is this pesky optical flat (AA/IR filter) in front of the sensor that the film-era lens designer simply wasn't expecting.

Maybe some would say this problem is purely theoretical, but the math and my own experience would suggest otherwise.

Optical theory would suggest that any modern lens of approx. f/1.4 or faster, designed specifically for use on digital cameras, would ideally need a camera-specifc optical flat to be mounted between the lens and sensor such that the lens is presented with a consistent piece of flat optics in the image-space, regardless of camera used.

Theoretical calculations by Brian Caldwell show visible influences of a 0.5mm filter stack when used on a "ideal" 2/50mm lens with an exit pupil at 50mm. A 3mm filter stack (as used in the Sony E/FE cameras) should have a distincitive influence on the performance of a "ideal" 2/50mm lens.

Reality is different.

I have tested the MC Rokkor 1.2/58mm side-by-side on the Sony A7RII (3mm) and the Leica M (0.8mm filterstack). There's no visible difference regarding purple fringing and resolution.

This observation is supported by vast experience with the Minolta AF 1.4/50mm: At f1.4 disappointing and not really useable on film bodies such as the Minolta 9000, Minolta 9xi and Minolta Dynax 9, but pretty useful on 6 MP APS-C CCD sensors (Minolta Dynax 7D). Also quite useable on the 24 MP A900 (always talking about f1.4). Same experience with the Mamiya Sekor EF 1.4/60mm BTW. In other words: Fast f1.4 lenses perform better on digital sensors than on film.

I have access to a Kolari modded A7S with 0.2 mm Ultra thin filter, and I have tested it with several (semi-)symmetric wideangles. Zeiss Biogon C 4.5/21mm (the new one, not the original from 1950) for instance is terrible on the A7, but really shines when using with the ultra thin filter stack (perfect corners wide open). Same is true for Zeiss ZM 2/35 and Leica M 1.4/35 ASPH.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Likewise, it would be interesting to see how new f/1.2 lenses specifically designed for use on a digital sensors perform at f/1.2 when used on film; They would likely also suffer from residual Seidel aberrations because of the missing AA/IR filter.

Yes, they do to some extent. Check philippreeve.com for test images.

BrianSVP wrote:
I'm sure sample variation plays a role. My experiences with this lens vis a vis the Minolta 58s are more or less the reverse of what yours are, with the Minolta showing substantially more CA and poorer center sharpness wide open, at least on digital.

Which lens?

BrianSVP wrote:
This is shot on a Lumix S5

I can't see any image ...

BrianSVP wrote:

This shot, for example, I took at an evening Christmas party

I still can't see any image ...

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read so far.

I have 3:

MC Rokkor 58mm 1.2 no PG
Zuiko 55mm 1.2
Porst 50mm 1.2

I like the Rokkor the most but I see all of them as special bokeh tools and don't look much at sharpness.
The Zuiko is the most wild with its bokeh and flare, some probably rate it badly because of that but it's one of the best when it comes to character.

The Porst (Fujinon) is the one I have used the least but it seems to be quite good technically. It can have an interesting flare pattern too.

Samples from Rokkor 58mm:

On film the bokeh gets chopped a bit.

Olympus Zuiko 55mm 1.2

Porst Color Reflex 50mm 1.2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:

No surprise here!

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
S

Dunno ... probably both. BTW I just picked up a Nikkor S 2.8/35mm plus Pentax M 2.8/28 for CHF 15.--. The Nikkor has issues, but cosmetically looks very nice. It soon willl be restored.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Theoretical calculations by Brian Caldwell show visible influences of a 0.5mm filter stack when used on a "ideal" 2/50mm lens with an exit pupil at 50mm. A 3mm filter stack (as used in the Sony E/FE cameras) should have a distincitive influence on the performance of a "ideal" 2/50mm lens.

Reality is different.

I have tested the MC Rokkor 1.2/58mm side-by-side on the Sony A7RII (3mm) and the Leica M (0.8mm filterstack). There's no visible difference regarding purple fringing and resolution.

This observation is supported by vast experience with the Minolta AF 1.4/50mm: At f1.4 disappointing and not really useable on film bodies such as the Minolta 9000, Minolta 9xi and Minolta Dynax 9, but pretty useful on 6 MP APS-C CCD sensors (Minolta Dynax 7D). Also quite useable on the 24 MP A900 (always talking about f1.4). Same experience with the Mamiya Sekor EF 1.4/60mm BTW. In other words: Fast f1.4 lenses perform better on digital sensors than on film.

I have access to a Kolari modded A7S with 0.2 mm Ultra thin filter, and I have tested it with several (semi-)symmetric wideangles. Zeiss Biogon C 4.5/21mm (the new one, not the original from 1950) for instance is terrible on the A7, but really shines when using with the ultra thin filter stack (perfect corners wide open). Same is true for Zeiss ZM 2/35 and Leica M 1.4/35 ASPH.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Yes, they do to some extent. Check philippreeve.com for test images.

BrianSVP wrote:
I'm sure sample variation plays a role. My experiences with this lens vis a vis the Minolta 58s are more or less the reverse of what yours are, with the Minolta showing substantially more CA and poorer center sharpness wide open, at least on digital.

Which lens?

BrianSVP wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

S

That is pretty interesting. I have been long waiting to read test results with ultra thin sensor stack. Not that I am very much interested in rangefinder lenses, they are certainly excellent but often quite expensive except some soviet models but I really wanted to know what was the real performance of a lens as designed in the film era. I think I would benefit from a thin sensor stack but I have also red some stories about white balance issues and price is significant plus the round trip to America or Taiwan. Still chickening.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? The image and lens you were specifically commenting on as "not sharp" in the message to which I replied. Canon FL 55/1.2.

stevemark wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

Which lens?

BrianSVP wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

Which lens?

BrianSVP wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:
Huh? The image and lens you were specifically commenting on as "not sharp" in the message to which I replied. Canon FL 55/1.2.

There are no images in your post BrianSVP... Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

Which lens?

BrianSVP wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

BrianSVP wrote:

There are no images in your post BrianSVP... Smile

There was one a couple of posts before (quite a good portrait, if I may add!):

BrianSVP wrote:

Here's a recent low light kid portrait I shot using the Canon FL 55mm/1.2. Ever so slightly front focused, so the eyes are a bit soft, but the sharpness on the eyelashes/eyebrows is outstanding. For shallow-DOF portratiure, it may be my favorite vintage lens.

blotafton wrote:
Interesting read so far.

I have 3:

MC Rokkor 58mm 1.2 no PG
Zuiko 55mm 1.2
Porst 50mm 1.2

I like the Rokkor the most but I see all of them as special bokeh tools and don't look much at sharpness.
The Zuiko is the most wild with its bokeh and flare, some probably rate it badly because of that but it's one of the best when it comes to character.

The Porst (Fujinon) is the one I have used the least but it seems to be quite good technically. It can have an interesting flare pattern too.

Excellent shots - very impressive!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

That is pretty interesting. I have been long waiting to read test results with ultra thin sensor stack. Not that I am very much interested in rangefinder lenses, they are certainly excellent but often quite expensive except some soviet models but I really wanted to know what was the real performance of a lens as designed in the film era. I think I would benefit from a thin sensor stack but I have also red some stories about white balance issues and price is significant plus the round trip to America or Taiwan. Still chickening.

I don't own a Kolari modified A7 camera, but I have been playing with one for a few hours - certainly enough to see the clear (very clear indeed) benefits when it comes to detail resolution of typical rangefinder wideangles, e. g.

* Zeiss ZM 2/35mm
* Zeiss ZM C Biogon 4.5/21mm
* Zeiss ZM 2.8/15mm

On the other hand lenses such as the Leica M 4/135mm APO have the same resolution on the standard A7 as on the Kolari modded one.

That said, IR is a severe problem on the Kolari modded A7 cameras. The extremely thin filter layer (0.2mm) simply cannot cope with the IR radiation passing through any lens I've tested. You get a weird reddish result using standard WB settings, and even using individual WB calibration on the camera doesn't solve the issue. Things look better if you calibrate the A7, but they don't look good! The only real solution is using a IR blocking filter in front of the lens (this doesn't degenerate the optical performance of the lens!).

I recently got a Minolta Rokkor 4.5/21mm which is a nearly perfect copy of the original Bertele Zeiss Biogon 4.5/21mm. That lens is awful on the A7 series, but should be excellent on film and - of course - on a Kolari modded A7 camera. I'll try to test the Rokkor 4.5/21mm as soon as possible on a modified A7S.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm thank you to all the user who contributed.
I found a lot of interesting info.
I'm still unsure if it makes sense at all to buy a Chinese super-fast manual lens, given that I already own four 50/55mm f/1.2.
Maybe it's worth to wait a little more and take the time to check the performance of my new (to me) Porst/X-Fujinon 1.2/50mm. From what I have read it seems it has very good sharpness, at least at the center of the frame, but no outstanding bokeh. Unfortunately I value the latter much more than the former. That's why I have this itching for the new Mr. Ding Mark II 1.1/50mm in M mount. The bokeh seems to be really first class, and I love the pics I have seen. It could work with all the cameras I use, but one: the Pentax K-1. It would be a real pity, cause the K-1 has the best IQ (by far) of all the cameras I own... but in exchange I might even have the chance to use the new Chinese lens with my old Leica M5 and CL, that sadly sit in a drawer since sooo looong Smile
The new ultras fast Chinese objectives seem to have a pretty decent bokeh on average. It's a surprise to me. On the other hand the sharpness stopped down is not so much better than the best vintage fifties. I expected better.
Regarding vintage lenses, apart the Canon FD aspherical (which is an unlikely candidate cause I doubt it will ever fall on my lap for almost nothing), I have a fascination for the Hexanon 57mm. As far as I understand it should fall on the opposite side of the Porst/Fujinon in the superfast fifties range: beautiful bokeh, not great sharpness especially in the borders. Again, I doubt I will find one for a decent price any time soon. It took looong time to find the X-Fujinon 1.2/50mm (actually its Porst twin) for a good price. I could find it under 200 euros because it was on a camera, and the auction had terrible pictures. Unfortunately the lens was mentioned in the description, so I had to win some competition. Ebay is not the place for great finds since quite long. Almost always there are other users who saw the same opportunity.

The previous posts on this thread have directed my attention to the issue of the thick sensor stack of my A7II camera.
I guess that's the reason why some of my vintage lenses perform so poorly on the Sony.
I believe it doesn't affect just the wide angles with short register. I found that some optical designs (even in reflex mount) perform in an unexpectedly poor way.
One example is a Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35mm in M42 mount I just tried. IIRC it should have a 4E/4G design, with a VERY small back element. My guess is that the light rays coming off that tiny element hit the sensor surface at an angle, and that's not what the Sony sensor likes. Oh, well... it's also possible that the lens is a lemon, but for sure it's not what to expect from Steinheil lenses of the same vintage. I have a 4.5/200mm that is incredibly good for its age, with beautiful bokeh, no CA and more than sufficient sharpness. When I did a shoot-out between my best 180/200mm lenses, against all odds the Steinheil came out quite close to the top!

Thanks again
Cheers
Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bokeh I like the Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM

The FJW Industries 90mm f1.0 is also interesting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:

The previous posts on this thread have directed my attention to the issue of the thick sensor stack of my A7II camera.
One example is a Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35mm in M42 mount I just tried. IIRC it should have a 4E/4G design, with a VERY small back element. My guess is that the light rays coming off that tiny element hit the sensor surface at an angle, and that's not what the Sony sensor likes.

Not an issue for reflex wideangles with their relatively large distance between exit pupil and sensor (stack). In addition the Culmigon 4.5/35 is really slow at f4.5; at f=35mm even symmetrical wideangles (i. e. NOT retrofocus designs) only have issues if they are fast (f2 or f1.4). I have, for instance, not seen any performance difference when using the (rather modern and good) Zeiss ZM Planar 2/50mm on the Leica M (240) and the Sony A7II.

cyberjunkie wrote:
Oh, well... it's also possible that the lens is a lemon, but for sure it's not what to expect from Steinheil lenses of the same vintage.

No lemon. I have the Steinheil Culminar 4.5/35mm as well, and I know how (badly) it performs. However before the arrival of the Nikkor 3.5/28mm such a poor performance was "normal" for retrofocus wideangles. Kouichi Ohshita, a renowned Nikon lens designer, writes in the "Nikkor Tale 0012" about these problems:

"By changing the lens configuration of the rear lens group to that of "convexo-concave-convexo-convexo", Mr. WAKIMOTO drastically improved coma produced on the periphery of the frame, which had been the weak point of the retrofocus type. ... It is not an exaggeration that most of all retrofocus lenses currently sold in the market are modeled on the NIKKOR-H Auto 2.8cm f/3.5."

If you have two small positive lenses at the rear of a retrofocus wideangle (almost always made from high refractive nD=1.80 glass, either with high dispersion v=25, or lower dispersion v=40), you can conclude that its performance will be at decent.

Other configurations (usually from the 1950s) will result in a rather poor performance. Occasionally such poorly performing retrofocus lenses were made into the 1970s, e. g. the Mamiya Sekor SX 2.8/35mm (also available as Rollei), or the first computation of the Konica AR 2.8/35mm.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that really is some wild bokeh on the Canon! Reminiscent of the Petri Orrikor 50/2. Gonna have to keep an eye out for one of these.

kymarto wrote:
For bokeh I like the Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM

The FJW Industries 90mm f1.0 is also interesting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the konica 57mm 1.2, a minolta 58mm 1.2, a Canon 55mm 1.2, Olympus OM 50mm 1.2. Of those I like the Konica the most for its rendering. I like the size and ergonomics of the oly and it lives in my carry bag along with the 24 f2, 28 f2, 40 f2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
cyberjunkie wrote:

One example is a Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35mm in M42 mount I

Not an issue for reflex wideangles with their relatively large distance between exit pupil and sensor (stack). In addition the Culmigon 4.5/35 is really slow at f4.5; at f=35mm even symmetrical wideangles (i. e. NOT retrofocus designs) only have issues if they are fast (f2 or f1.4). I have, for instance, not seen any performance difference when using the (rather modern and good) Zeiss ZM Planar 2/50mm on the Leica M (240) and the Sony A7II.

cyberjunkie wrote:
Oh, well... it's also possible that the lens is a lemon, but for sure it's not what to expect from Steinheil lenses of the same vintage.

No lemon. I have the Steinheil Culminar 4.5/35mm as well, and I know how (badly) it performs. However before the arrival of the Nikkor 3.5/28mm such a poor performance was "normal" for retrofocus wideangles. Kouichi Ohshita, a renowned Nikon lens designer, writes in the "Nikkor Tale 0012" about these problems:

I agree in principle, but I am not sure if all the 4E/4G 35mm wide angles (f/3.5 to f/4.5 max aperture) perform the same.
I also have an Enna and a Meyer, if I remember correctly, and at least one of them performs quite decently.
From what I remember all of them should have a similar optical design

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you care about bokeh, look here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDo_Nnv7QNMOergfo_8neazeNgnJeZhn1uN_aG1_zGM

My favourites for bokeh are Leica Noctilux f/1 and Canon .95, which however is not too sharp off-centre. Canon FD 1.2L is great. Non-L has a bit more SA, but more characterful bokeh, and is cheaper.
Also look at Experimentaloptics 50/.75
Tomioka has very characterful bokeh, but low detail sharpness.

You know there are wider fast lenses, too? Although no wider fast lens has lovely bokeh, I find.
But I do love some longer ones, such as Canon 58/1.2 (subjectively; there are sharper lenses, but bokeh is great and price too); Canon 85/1.2 is razor sharp but bokeh is a bit boring; Nikon CRT-Nikkor Auto f/1.2 and f/1 have characterful bokeh, as do the Canon X and Astro Berlin Tachon(ar)s (see chapter two of docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKzZoHmyEaVV18iuB7oP-CcAxf_QLwAYhyL-vjYFIBE ; scroll down for a table of ALL fast lenses for SLR and rangefinder.)

All modern lenses (Sony, Canon 50/1.2) are VERY sharp, but also VERY boring. not for you.

@BrianSVP and @blotafton Great images!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:

... Canon 85/1.2 is razor sharp but bokeh is a bit boring ...

My experience with the Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L is a quite different ... not razor sharp at all at f1.2 (not even in the center),
but pleasantly soft bokeh. Images below are 100% crops from the center of JPGs out of A7RII, taken at f1.2, f2, f2.8 and f4.

As you can see, wide open there's a lot of purple fringing and LoCAs (quite disturbing when shooting animals), but from f2 onwards
fringing is drastcally reduced, at least in the image center.

CLICK TWICE AT THE IMAGE TO GET FULL RESOLUTION!

The Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L should give pretty nice b/w portraits with lots of glow and softness. From f2.8 on it's really sharp.
Compared side-by-side with the Minolta MD-II 2/85mm the Canon has more CAs at equivalent apertures, and less corner resolution
as far as I remember.

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only f1.2 is the Zuiko 50mm 1.2. Just one version of this lens exists, introduced 1982. I got mine in the mid 90s. Looks snug, but it´s still a biggie compared to its slower colleagues. It´s sometimes fun, like below with the Christmas decoration. I´ve done portrait with it as well and from portrait distance the bokeh is much smoother.
All ISO 100 all and Sony Alpha 7ii

Image #1 to #7 are taken very close to minimum focus distance, which is 0,45m
#1 1/320s, f1.2.

#2 Crop from above. (please don´t judge from the preview) Fully open a bit soft and some issues with CA

# 1/200s, f2

#3 Crop from above

#4 1/25s, f5.6

#5 Crop from above

#6 1/500s, f1.2 and almost backlight. A little issue with contrast in this light situation wide open, which will mostly disappear when closed down like on the next image.

#7 1/40s, f5.6

Next motive shows a much calmer light situation and distance to pane of sharpness is about 1m. The bokeh is smoother in this focus distance. In my perception, sharpness gets better until f2.8. After that, closing down only increases the DOF. I never go beyond f8 except in superwides and if I really need the DOF, so I don´t look into diffraction.
#8 1/100s, f1.2.

#9 Crop taken from image above

#10 Crop from a similar image like #8, 1/10s, f5.6

Night/dusk is the supreme discipline of fast 50s, so that´s the last motive. Sorry, the image is a bit of an embarrassment, but it shows everything to be expected from this lens in this light situation wide open.

#11 0,33s, f1.2.

#12 Crop from center area

#13 Crop from the edge

To conclude, I´m irrationally glad I have this lens. It´s perfectly machined, great fun to use, and it balances exceptionally well on the Sony. Apart from that, it´s expensive these days, and fwiw, all of my f1.4 standard lenses outperform the Zuiko 50mm f1.2. So it´s mainly a never dying curiosity that has me take this lens once in a while, and for the same reason I´m patiently waiting for a Hexanon 57 f1.2 to come my way the stevemark way Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
... I´m patiently waiting for a Hexanon 57 f1.2 to come my way the stevemark way Mr. Green

That may take some time ... In fact I was on the brink of buying one (the old metal focusing grip version) for CHF 85.-- around 2006, form the local (now defunct) foto store. I didn't because it was too yellow ... No other such opportunity up to now, however!! Occasionally there are some 1.2/57 Hexanons offered locally, but always in the 400-700.-- price range which is insane.

But I know two people who own one Wink

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChatCPT:

Quote:
Rate your favorite lenses (f/1.2 and faster) Reply with quote
For many years I have mostly used a Pentax K-1 full frame, so my choice of super fast vintage lenses was limited.
Of the three f/1.2 lenses in PK mount I used on the K-1, the worst was the Porst/Cosina 1.2/55mm. The SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm was much better, but my favorite was the Revuenon/Tomioka 1.2/55mm, cause the bokeh is even smoother and has much less LoCA.
Recently I finally decided to buy a Sony A7II. The IQ is nowhere near the Pentax, but it has two advantages over the K-1: it's smaller and lighter, and can use any possible mount made for 35mm SLR and rangefinder cameras.
I love to shoot off-center subjects, I love low light photography, and I care very much for bokeh. Owning a Sony Alpha opens the gate to a whole lot of new opportunities, both vintage and new Chinese-made MF lenses.
Before asking about your own favorite fifties I add two more info. 1) I bought for a good price a NOS Techart Pro AF adapter (the wobbly one, but I am taking good care to avoid heavy lenses), so Leica M and M39 are also welcome. 2) I also bought a Porst 1.2/50mm (I.E. X-Fujinon EBC 1.2/50mm in old Fujica bayonet mount), but I had no time to try it cause the adapter did't arrive before I had to leave. I am curious to know how it compares to the fast fifties I have already used.

Given the scenario I already described, which super fast fifties would you choose?
Would you go for a manual focus f/1.1 (or faster) Chinese lens in FE or LM mount, or still go vintage? The comparison makes more sense if we consider similarly priced lenses. For example a brand new (2023 release) Mr. Ding f/1.1 50mm goes for way less than 300 USD where I am living...

Regarding vintage lenses, I would appreciate a lot if the answers give indications about WHY (bokeh, sharpness, control of aberrations, etc) and not just WHAT. A simple list of names would not be as useful.

Cheers
Paolo
ChatGPT

I don't have personal preferences, but I can offer some insights into your lens choices based on your described preferences and scenarios.

Given your interest in shooting off-center subjects, low light photography, and a preference for smooth bokeh, it seems like you value lenses with wide apertures for better light gathering and creative depth of field control.

For vintage lenses:

Revuenon/Tomioka 1.2/55mm:
Pros: Smoother bokeh, less LoCA (chromatic aberration).
Cons: None mentioned.

SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm:
Pros: Better than the Porst/Cosina 1.2/55mm, likely good bokeh.
Cons: None mentioned.

Porst/Cosina 1.2/55mm:
Cons: Described as the worst of the three, presumably due to bokeh and LoCA.

Considering your move to the Sony A7II, which offers the advantage of being smaller and lighter, and the ability to use various mounts, you might explore:

New Chinese-made MF lenses (e.g., Mr. Ding f/1.1 50mm):
Pros: Potentially faster apertures, cost-effective.
Cons: Auto-focus may not be as fast or accurate as native lenses.

Leica M and M39 lenses with the Techart Pro AF adapter:
Pros: Wide range of high-quality lenses, potential for smooth manual focus with the adapter.
Cons: The adapter might introduce some wobbling.

When comparing vintage and new lenses, consider factors like build quality, coatings for reducing flare and improving contrast, and any unique characteristics that contribute to your preferred shooting style.

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your specific needs and shooting preferences. If possible, test the lenses or read detailed reviews to ensure they meet your expectations for bokeh, sharpness, and aberration control in real-world scenarios.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to the party, but still wanted to share my opinion. I think it doesn't make sense to evaluate vintage f/1.2 lenses for their corner to corner sharpness at f/1.2, because modern lenses will be sharper and generally less troubled by aberrations. The reasons to get one of those lenses, apart from collecting, would be to like them exactly for their faults, for their character. Particularly the wide open SA and the softness is what I really like about most of them.

Of the lenses I know, the Canon FD 1.2/55 SSC, the Minolta MC Rokkor 1.2/58 and the Nikon AI 1.2/50 have lots of wide open softness and glow. Stopping them down to f/2 changes this behaviour almost completely, making them sharp and contasty over most of the frame. The greatest leap can be observed with the Nikkor. It's very sharp and contrasty at f/2 (obviously not out to the far corners, but it reaches quite far).
More controlled, yet very nicely soft at portrait distance is the Auto Revuenon 1.2/55, which I would pick up to shoot these kind of portraits.
I also have the Porst 1.2/50 X-M UMC for Fujica. Great value lens. I'd say it has less wide open softness than the others and is about as sharp.

The mentioned vintage lenses all have more or less characterful bokeh, which doesn't always appear, because being f/1.2 lenses they blur away the background quite quickly often resulting in very soft out of focus areas. Not too distant foliage on the other hand will reveal their character.

I also have the Syoptic 1.1/50 the predecessor of the Mr. Ding lens, which has bokeh that is quite a bit softer. Else it's about as sharp as the vintage lenses. For the 180€ I paid for it, it has incredible value. From images I've seen on the web, I think I'd prefer it to the Noctilux Smile. The ministry of finance here at my home probably agrees.

I also have the ZhongYi Mitakon Speedmaster 0.95/50 II. It's quite sharp wide open for its speed, has little SA trouble, but in some situations some nasty green bokeh fringing. Else than that it has the nicest soft bokeh of them all and neat clean colors. Stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 I wouldn't mind using it as a landscape lens (if I didn't have another one with me particularly able in that category).

I also have the Canon 1.2/85 L. In my opinion it's nicely sharp wide open at portrait distance. It's not meant to be a landscape lens. In that category others are sharper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

backsidewalkaround wrote:
I'm a bit late to the party, but still wanted to share my opinion.

I already have two of the lenses you mentioned: the Revuenon/Tomioka 55mm (PK version, should be definitely better than the M42 version with the back element cut), and the Porst/X-Fujinon 50mm.
The former has always proven a surprisingly good lens when I used it, with slightly better bokeh (and a lot less LoCA) than the SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm I also have. It's one of my "never sell it" lenses!
The latter is still a mystery cause the adapter arrived after I left home a few months ago. I will try it thoroughly as soon as I am back. In the meantime I ordered the AR to LM adapter to fit it on top of my first gen Techart AF adapter.... but I am not so sure about the behavior of the AF, especially using wide area sensors with f/1.2 lenses wide open. The SA wide open could send the AF crazy, especially with low illumination.

Regarding the SyOptic/Mr. Ding lenses. here the latest (Mr. Ding) version costs a touch less than 250 euros, shipment included. The old version, sold with no name on AliExpress, is around 170 euros shipped.
I am still undecided. If I buy one I would probably bit the bullet and go for the Mr. Ding, cause it's a touch better in a few different ways.
Both versions work great with the Techart, cause the AF is satisfactory and because the lenses are very light. My version of the Techart is the old one. I am trying to treat it like a newly wed bride, keeping an eye on the screws on the front, that might unscrew, and avoiding the use of heavy lenses. Everything seems to be okey, but I don't know how long it might last, even using such care. The few times I have used a heavier lens I have held firmly in my hand the barrel of the lens, leaving the body of the camera to move freely back and forth. It's not very practical, but in my opinion it is the only way to use lenses over 105mm of focal without stressing the mechanics.

One quick question:
I have in mind to secure the bayonet screw at the front of the old Techart with a micro drop of nail enamel. Any caveat?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:

I already have two of the lenses you mentioned: the Revuenon/Tomioka 55mm (PK version, should be definitely better than the M42 version with the back element cut), and the Porst/X-Fujinon 50mm.
The former has always proven a surprisingly good lens when I used it, with slightly better bokeh (and a lot less LoCA) than the SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm I also have. It's one of my "never sell it" lenses!

I haven't used either one extensively, so I'm not too well aquainted with them. In the limited experience I have with it, I'd say, the Auto Revuenon (yes PK version) 1.2/55 certainly is a good lens, but it's also quite neutral (so not that interesting to me, but...). Like I wrote before, it caught my eye mostly for its wide open softness that makes for beautiful portraits, somehow more evenly and nicer than the other glowy (SA "troubled") lenses I mentioned.
Quote:

The latter is still a mystery cause the adapter arrived after I left home a few months ago. I will try it thoroughly as soon as I am back. In the meantime I ordered the AR to LM adapter to fit it on top of my first gen Techart AF adapter.... but I am not so sure about the behavior of the AF, especially using wide area sensors with f/1.2 lenses wide open. The SA wide open could send the AF crazy, especially with low illumination.

I have a Pixco adapter to adapt the Porst lens directly to my Sony A7. I've also not used the Porst hat much, but had it on a vacation trip to Italy a few years back. I was very satisfied with the results. I may have to compare it again with the more expensive lenses I own. I would assume now that it performs better than many of them wide open. Stopped down I don't know. The Nikon for example is just too good at f/2.

Quote:

Regarding the SyOptic/Mr. Ding lenses. here the latest (Mr. Ding) version costs a touch less than 250 euros, shipment included. The old version, sold with no name on AliExpress, is around 170 euros shipped.
I am still undecided. If I buy one I would probably bit the bullet and go for the Mr. Ding, cause it's a touch better in a few different ways.

I bought my Sypotic Lens after Bastian Kratzke tested it for phillipreeve.net. I admired its 3D look and soft bokeh. I wasn't disappointed after buying it. For me it's one of the best value lenses ever, if you consider its price new.
I don't know: In what way is the Mr. Ding lens supposed to be better. As far as I know it costs around 400 € if ordered from Germany. For that kind of money it certainly still is an excellent lens, but no bargain, like the Syoptic.
Quote:

Both versions work great with the Techart, cause the AF is satisfactory and because the lenses are very light. My version of the Techart is the old one. I am trying to treat it like a newly wed bride, keeping an eye on the screws on the front, that might unscrew, and avoiding the use of heavy lenses. Everything seems to be okey, but I don't know how long it might last, even using such care. The few times I have used a heavier lens I have held firmly in my hand the barrel of the lens, leaving the body of the camera to move freely back and forth. It's not very practical, but in my opinion it is the only way to use lenses over 105mm of focal without stressing the mechanics.

One quick question:
I have in mind to secure the bayonet screw at the front of the old Techart with a micro drop of nail enamel. Any caveat?

Sorry I hardly have any experience with Techart adapters. I had one like two years back for a brief time, but almost instantly decided that I'd fare better focussing manually. I found the adapter to be slow and not very accurate. If I really need fast AF, I rely on my (few) native Sony lenses, but that hardly ever happens. I'm shooting with MF about 98% of the time, even for shooting people i mostly use my manual lenses, despite a much lower hit rate, of course, but it simply is more fun and I always want to see the results of my vintage lenses much more than those shot with a modern lens. I use my AF gear mostly when I shoot for other people.[/quote]