Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rangefinder recommendation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last few years I had several fixed lens Japanese RF pass through my hands. I still have a couple of them - Konica S2 and Olympus 35 SP and will be selling the 35SP. In other words - yes Konica Auto S2 is that good to be the last RF in my closet...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice camera that often gets overlooked is the Agfa Ambi-Sillette, a German interchangeable lens rangefinder.

It can usually be found with normal lens for around $50 or so. It is all manual without meter and has a very nice viewfinder and excellent lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the "best" one would be a Leica M.
But of course, they go for unreasonable prices. Wink

(M2, M4-2 or M4-P offer the best value.)

So let's have a shortlist:

Do you need a changeable lens?

Yes: Kiev-4 or FED-2, depending on what kind of handling you prefer.

No: >> 2nd question: Does compact size matter?

Yes: Olympus 35RC, Minolta Hi-Matic F, Rollei XF35, Konica Auto S3
No: Yashica Electro 35GS, Minolta Hi-Matic E

But some of those 70s RF cams need weird batteries (e.g. the Hi-Matics). You know about that. Wink

My fav RF cam is my Yashica Electro 35GS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on the Kiev/Fed recommendation - you'll need to get good at guessing coverage OR get an auxilliary vf for these when using non ~50mm lenses. Though they cost more, here's where more modern designs with better viewfinders - with built in frame lines - may become worthwhile.

With the fixed lens cameras, apart from battery hassles, the other thing to look at is whether the camera has manual capability in addition to whatever automation it offers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Konica SIII Reply with quote

I've been following this thread and have been buying some Cheap 35mm RF's as I go. Got this one today from the Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200656915136?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thought it worth a try. It has the selenium light meter but a good friend gave me a Weston pocket light meter so I really don't care if it works or not.
But if it does it will be a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

With the fixed lens cameras, apart from battery hassles, the other thing to look at is whether the camera has manual capability in addition to whatever automation it offers.

Very good advice: for instance, Yashica Electro models do not offer any.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Very good advice: for instance, Yashica Electro models do not offer any.

Yes, this is the thing I've been concerned about most. In my first post I stipulated the camera must have manual capability, but quite a few of the recommendations have been auto only. Auto is nice, as long as there's an exposure adjustment of some kind, but I definitely want to use it manually as well. I've been watching a couple of Yashica Lynx cameras to see what they go for - they have manual mode I believe?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Yashica Lynx models are manual only that I know of.

All also have coupled meters, though it may not be so easy to find a working meter !

The Lynx 1000 and 5000 are interesting. They are not rare and not really collectible, and dont have a cult f/1.4 lens - just an f/1.8 Yashinon, so it should go for cheap - under $20 on US ebay. They are also very easy to fix.

They also have a very fast 1/1000 shutter, which is very uncommon on leaf shutter cameras, and not available on big brothers 14 and 14e.

The Konica Auto series - S, S2 - are also manual, but with an auto setting. There was also a non-auto Konica S series, like the Auto but without the "A' setting of course, not often mentioned but I have seen several. The lenses seem to be the same as on the Auto.

The Minolta Hi-Matic 7 and 9 series are manual, with auto options.

More Japanese manual cameras in this line of "poor mens Leicas" - large aperture fixed lens rangefinders - include several models each from Petri, Kowa, Ricoh, Mamiya, Fuji, Aires, Walz, Canter (Beauty), and of course Canon. There are plenty to choose from.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesser known Japanese "cult" rangefinders -

Leave aside the Yashica Lynx 14 and the Canonet GIII's - these are also cult cameras that go for good money, but, maybe, can be found by the sharp eyed.

Walz Envoy - Sonnar lens - I have seen these things go for $200+

http://www.ziforums.com/showthread.php?t=343

Aires V - f/1.5 Interchangeable lens, and a real beauty

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/Aires35V.html
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00VaLe

Mamiya Super Deluxe - f/1.5, very uncommon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ojoderuta/3659210585/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atilla mentioned the Canonet QL17 GIII which I seconded, but like Luis mentioned everyone knows that camera and it's getting hard to get a deal.
Is size a criteria? The QL17 has a big brother which is the QL19, which is a larger camera with a 45 f1.9 lens. I have one but I haven't tried mine yet, but you can get very good deals on them on the Bay if your careful.
Under USD $20.

I also mentioned the Konica C35 which dosen't fit your criteria. I still recomend that in addition to whatever else you can buy. You can pick them up under USD $10.