Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Post your Jupiter (planet) shots here...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Post your Jupiter (planet) shots here... Reply with quote

Jupiter is very close at the moment; so I had some fun trying to capture it with my old 6MP Pentax *ist DS (my 14MP Pentax K-7 was sold in anticipation of the 16MP Pentax K-5) and Sigma 500/4.5 APO EX with the matching 1.4x APO teleconverter attached. It was fun; I have never taken a photo of a planet before.

In both cases I cropped Jupiter to a pixel level and enlarged the resulting picture 2x in Photoshop.

First a correctly exposed Jupiter. You can tell that it's Jupiter by the (barely visible) cloud bands.

ISO 200, 1/100s, F8

An overexposed Jupiter with its moons Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto (not necessarily in that order) visible:

ISO 200, 1/4s, F5.6

Now please post yours! Get all your long glass and teleconverters out and show us the results! You cannot miss Jupiter; it's the brightest "star" in the Northern hemisphere where it's visible in the south-east.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look tonight. I have a couple of old manual aperture teles -- a 500mm and a 650mm -- that might show some results. No 1.4x for my EOS, though, just a 2x, but it's a good one.

Last time I looked at Jupiter, it was through a Meade LX3 I used to own -- a 10" f/8, which translates into a 2032mm f/8 optic. And even with that light bucket and a fairly high-powered eyepiece, the bands were barely visible. So, I'd say you did a decent job with that first photo.

Care to share your exposure info (including ISO) with us for the two shots you posted?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'll have a look tonight. I have a couple of old manual aperture teles -- a 500mm and a 650mm -- that might show some results. No 1.4x for my EOS, though, just a 2x, but it's a good one.

Thanks! It would be nice to see the work of others, with different pieces of kit.

Quote:

Last time I looked at Jupiter, it was through a Meade LX3 I used to own -- a 10" f/8, which translates into a 2032mm f/8 optic. And even with that light bucket and a fairly high-powered eyepiece, the bands were barely visible. So, I'd say you did a decent job with that first photo.

That surprises me, I thought it could be much better. After all, this is a very large crop, shot just above the roof of my neighbors (and that should cause heat waves, this can be seen in the first shot).

Quote:

Care to share your exposure info (including ISO) with us for the two shots you posted?

Of course, I have updated my first post!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I pulled out my long tele and decided to give Jupiter a try tonight. Next time I try astrophotography, I'm gonna rig up a chair or a stool or something to sit in, cuz it totally killed my back having to bend around into crazy positions to view the subject. And live view wasn't much of a help, either.

The sky here in Houston was very clear tonight, and I was able to get a couple of good captures of Jupiter out of about a dozen images. When I called up the better of the two and zoomed in, I noticed just a bit of a glimmer of two of the moons, and I thought, hey, I wonder if they can be brought out? So, I asked my daughter, who's a real whiz at Photoshop, if she could bring out the four moons without changing anything else in the image. It was a piece of cake to her. Took her maybe a couple minutes. I suppose if I were being more of a purist, I would have told her to dial down the brightness on the outer moon some, since it's the dimmest of the four, but I was just glad she could do it, and wasn't gonna push things.

So, all I did was adjust the hue and saturation some and then upsized the image by about 90%. It took the upsizing pretty well, I think. The following is a 100% crop of the upsized image.

Canon EOS XS with Century Precision Optics Tele-Athenar II 650mm f/6.8, 2x Vivitar Macro TC, 1/200 second @ f/6.8, ISO 400.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, that shot is just plain great! Apparently the Tele-Athenar is a great lens for astrophotography. I will try again in the coming days (hopefully with a new camera).

I feel sorry for your back though (because I'm a bit responsible for it) Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Michael, that shot is just plain great! Apparently the Tele-Athenar is a great lens for astrophotography. I will try again in the coming days (hopefully with a new camera).

I feel sorry for your back though (because I'm a bit responsible for it) Sad

No worries. I knew it was going to hurt before I even began to shoot so I can only blame myself.

I have two of these old Century Tele-Athenars, a 500/5.6 and the 650/6.8. They're old-school telephotos, but they really do a decent job, even with astrophotography. My 500/5.6 is ex-military (I think US Navy) and I suspect it was used on a tracking platform they used to photograph missile tests with back in the 50s and 60s. Kinda like one of these gizmos:

See those "little" lenses on the sides? I think maybe my 500/5.6 may have been used in a similar fashion.