Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait class
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Portrait class Reply with quote

Here's some photos from the portrait course (last lesson this evening).
The photographer (Piero Casadei) is not only a portrait photographer, he makes all kind of studio work. His last work was made for Ducati motorbikes, you can take a look here:

http://www.ducati.it/moto/diavel/index.do

he made all studio photos of the motos and of the models (the exteriors photos by someone else).

We started from a typical theatrical lighting (perfect zenital lighting), to verify the expressive possiblity of this scheme which is unusual for portraits but typical of stageplays.
It is a theatre lamp (not a photographic lamp) that was used here. Some of us students posed as models:

Agata, the photographer's dog. She got fond of me immediately. When we sat at the table she laid to sleep over my feet Very Happy

Believe it or not, this is a statue, a whole block made of metal (and it's larger than what you see here). Casadei worked for many artists and he got paid with artworks instead of money:

Casadei at work - he works with flashes so you see only some guide lights here:

Here's my attempts using the studio flashes. The image quality that you can obtain with those flashes is amazing!
If with sunlight your image sharpness is = 100, with those high power flashes sharpness is = 200, this gives the idea and I can now understand how they can make such big enlargements.
Our task was to make a photo that was "male", i.e. not sweet but strong. I tried with lateral lighting, the first photo with no fill (to create a mystery situation), the other two with a small fill flash at a distance:

I show the third photo in both colour and B&W because I like the different colour temperatures

From this point on, the flash transmitter stopped working with the Canon cameras - whatever the reason.
So I had to take photos using only the guide light Evil or Very Mad
Some of them turned out good never the less - I more photographed the situations however than taking portraits.
In some photos I did not correct the white balance because the warm colour matched with the turquoise hair better, making the pictures look as if they were cross processed:

Agata again! Very Happy

She did not move a single hair Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 100% crop from image #8
The lens I used in most of the photos is the Contax Planar 1.4/85. A few pictures were taken with the Distagon 1.4/35.
This is Planar 1.4/85 with a f/11 aperture:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this enlightening trip Orio (excuse the pun). You are certainly honing your skills in a most impressive way and those samples are extraordinarily good. I assume it was your 5MkII? Zeiss glass?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I assume it was your 5MkII? Zeiss glass?
patrickh

Thanks Patrick, yes, yesterday it was 5DMkII and Planar 1.4/85 in all photos except #4 where I used 1.4/35 Distagon.
This evening instead I used the Canon EF 1.8/85 because the flashes were set so strong that I had to stop down to f/11 for most takes and it was impossible to focus stop down at that aperture - so I had to resort to AF Rolling Eyes
I also used the 645 with the Sonnar 140 for a couple of shots, on Provia 100.

The "master teacher" really liked #13 and #15 (I showed them to him printed).

_

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In some photos I did not correct the white balance because the warm colour matched with the turquoise hair better, making the pictures look as if they were cross processed

Were you inspired by some of my photos Orio? Very Happy I'm just kidding.

You produced some wonderful pictures. The detail is astonishing. I like the stage-lighting of the first. It even feels theatrical!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

Were you inspired by some of my photos Orio?

Yes!
When the girl with the turquoise hair went on the stage to pose, I immediately knew that I wanted to use the wrong WB to obtain the x-proc look. And that definitely was inspired by your photos of Anastasia!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 is the best picture in the series. The silhouette of the photographer in the fore ground makes a wonderful image

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
12 is the best picture in the series. The silhouette of the photographer in the fore ground makes a wonderful image

+1, great timing!