Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pocket film camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: pocket film camera Reply with quote

Hi all,
my small, pocket friendly (coat pockets and not jeanks pockets) broke.. so I was wondering what we have in compatible cameras with fixed lens. My ideas was to be using black and white film pushed at 800-1600 and have a camera that would allow me to take outdoor photos (weather is germany is cloudy anyway) and some indoors when opening my aperture.

Any ideas for something that would not break the bank?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: pocket film camera Reply with quote

Canon QL series ? Or any other compact, fixed lens , rangefinder camera.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks
can you give a few rangefinder cameras you know.

What are the differences between those models? I guess they should not have any kind of automation...
Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hundreds of models of pocket cameras.

The king of them probably is the Rollei 35. There are many versions of this of course.

I must have shot 100 rolls in my dads Rollei, long ago. Its a fine camera.
That one was the original with an f/3.5 Tessar.

Thats my recommendation, if you can find one in good shape and at a good price.

Alternate, I used to have an Olympus XA, and it seemed to work well enough.

These days I have several excellent pocket folding cameras -

Retina I
Retina Ia
Retina II
Retina IIa
Zeiss Ikonta 35 (aka Contina)
Welta Weltini
Welta Weltix/Watson
etc.

though I can't recommend them as they are all antique cameras and its unlikely you can buy a working one that doesn't need repair.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you want a rangefinder.
Sorry about the Rollei, etc. these don't have rangefinders.
Still, it seems that when I was using it I never felt the need for an RF.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies if I do not know the terms...
I need something small (that would fit on big coat pockets) and would allow me to take some control over... aperture and shutter speeds for example...
Are not these the rangefinders?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rangefinder cameras have a rangefinder -

thats a system with mirrors that helps you focus by triangulation.

on most rangefinder cameras you will see two images in your viewfinder that you can superimpose by focusing. Thats when the object is in focus.

There are many cameras that have manual control over aperture and speed but no rangefinder, like the Rollei 35.
You guess the range, in meters or feet, and set the distance on the camera focus mechanism.
This works very well for most photography with a 35mm-40mm lens at smaller apertures, if used at distances of 2 meters or more. There is plenty of DOF to cover mistakes.

These cameras are not so good with large aperture lenses at short distances. Thats where you want a rangefinder. Or an SLR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus XA has rangefinder and aperture (XA basic, not XA2 or XA3) but they are expensive now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A folding Voigtlander Vito 11 is perfect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
everyone. I did a search last night on ebay and this is what I found

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Analogkameras-/15230/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rangefinder&LH_PrefLoc=2&_dcat=15230&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=80

there are a few cameras for my budget... but I could not find this type of cameras that have a shutter speed... Am I understanding something wrong? Is it that a rangefinder camera does not support this kind of funcionality.

Lens wise something in the order of 30-60mm would be fine... as long as I can still find batteris to operate the camera.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fully manual rangefinders are rare

http://www.kenrockwell.com/olympus/35-sp.htm

they cost pretty much nowdays

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi,
everyone. I did a search last night on ebay and this is what I found

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Analogkameras-/15230/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rangefinder&LH_PrefLoc=2&_dcat=15230&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=80

there are a few cameras for my budget... but I could not find this type of cameras that have a shutter speed... Am I understanding something wrong? Is it that a rangefinder camera does not support this kind of funcionality.

Lens wise something in the order of 30-60mm would be fine... as long as I can still find batteris to operate the camera.

Regards
Alex

The Zeiss icon contina from the list is a nice one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "dilemma" is that most rangefinder cams with a good RF and a fast lens are pretty big (e.g. Yashica Electro 35, Minolta 7).
And that most of the pocketable cams either have a miniature RF or a slow lens.

But there are some that offer a compromise:

- Olympus XA (perhaps the top choice)
- Rollei XF 35 (not that sturdy, but better than its reputation)
- Olympus 35 RC (with that classic looks and a great lens)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Olympus XA.

If you are uprating your films, avoid any with DX coding. DX is the automatic ISO/ASA setting on some cameras, this is achieved by reading a printed code on the film cannister. If the code cant be read they default, usually, to ISO 100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, cant believe no one suggested the contax T* with zeiss 40/2 lens. this is the tiniest camera ive ever seen. it fits easily into my jeans pocket. ive carried it all over in my travels for inclement weather days. the zeiss lens is superb and its a rf.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
wow, cant believe no one suggested the contax T* with zeiss 40/2 lens. this is the tiniest camera ive ever seen. it fits easily into my jeans pocket. ive carried it all over in my travels for inclement weather days. the zeiss lens is superb and its a rf.

True. Excellent cam. But pretty expensive, even used, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know about mow, but i got mine 5 or so years ago on the bay for less than $400. totally worth it imo for the lens, rf and total pocketability.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a loan unit for a short time , beautifully crafted , but the focusing system seemed to me a bit strange , controls not the most intuitive at first. But a nice cam ,a T2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure i understand teo--the 'focusing system' is classic rangefinder isnt it? theres a center patch and moving diamond you line up with it. and of course one can also zone focus, and i believe without looking that thats obviously marked on cam. this refers to the original T*, not the T2 which i dont have nor know anything about.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can find the
Zwei Stück Olympus 35 SP
for 40 euros and If I am not wrong I saw the shutter speed and the aperture dials on the lens Smile

What should I do with the batteries? Any chance with the EPX-625. I think there are replacement for these.

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cheap for SP 35.

Is there something about the condition of those cameras?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look operational and the prices not too expensive. Look on ebay for more

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
I can find the
Zwei Stück Olympus 35 SP
for 40 euros and If I am not wrong I saw the shutter speed and the aperture dials on the lens Smile

What should I do with the batteries? Any chance with the EPX-625. I think there are replacement for these.

Alex

I have a similar model and the modern PX625A alkalines work perfectly well. They dont last long so take it out between uses. It is a completely manual or automatic rf camera and a bargain at 40euros. More affordable than many mentioned here.

A gem!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am buying it. So bored with the digital Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of that Voigtlander Vito II. I might look into getting one next year.

Phil