Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pocket film camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
wow, cant believe no one suggested the contax T* with zeiss 40/2 lens. this is the tiniest camera ive ever seen. it fits easily into my jeans pocket. ive carried it all over in my travels for inclement weather days. the zeiss lens is superb and its a rf.

Aaahm, it's a 2,8/38mm lens:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/contax/t.htm

If Your'e looking for a real 2/40 there's only the Leica CL with it's Summicron:
https://www.cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm
upgradable to 1,4/35 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWhite214 wrote:
I really like the look of that Voigtlander Vito II. I might look into getting one next year.

Phil

Its a lovely cam to use and fits in my shorts pocket. Another photo of it.

[url]

[/url]

Last edited by philslizzy on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone got my offer
two more options

Canon-Canonet-QL-19- 45mm

or

ROLLEI 35 B

mostly intrested in having some sort of light meter, shutter speed selection, and battery replacements I can try

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Contax T* cameras. They look excellent. Can anyone comment on the differences between the T, T2, and T3? The T3 is pricey, but is (as the OP wants) very compact.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Canonets dont work today, complicated and cheaply made. The Rollei 35B is a great camera, I've had one since 1973 and bought it second hand then. It doesnt use batteries for the meter - it's a solar cell. I usually get the light reading then keep it the same unless the light changes significantly. A bit like using sunny 16 but with a little help.

Meters in any old cameras such as these can be a little 'out' and many old cameras use PX625 mercury batteries which are now illegal. Finding an equivalent starts complicating the whole thing. search this forum for PX625 and you'll understand why. An old Vivitar flash mentioned in another post will work great with these cameras. Although it has to be mounted on the bottom of the Rollei - not the top!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex, here is my favourite combination. An Olympus Trip and an old Sunpak. Trips are almost indestructible and if found faulty can be repaired easily. I used one on holiday last year and it was a dream to use. Automatic with no batteries, it locks if there isnt enough light and simple scale focusing. Perfect for snaps. On the odd occasion I've found if there isnt enough light just switch it from A to f2.8 it works because of the film latitude. The last pic was taken in an art gallery, I've cropped it and changed the colour balance a bit, but you can get a usable image.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Trip 35! Not a rangefinder but a very nice and cheap cam!

The mentioned QL19 is not that small... i wouldn't call that one pocketable.

I shot a roll with a Praktica CX-1 i bought recently, it's actually a re-badged Cosina. Again: not a rangefinder, it has zone-focus. I really liked it's size, built quality and images!
Another very nice and small cam, even though it's AF, is the Minolta AF-C.

Here are some samples from the CX-1: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/sets/72157647100741250/

The camera:
Praktica CX-1 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the QL19 is a slab of a camera. An easy load film system and a wide aperture lens make them desirable but they heavy and are prone to faults. Give a Canonet a miss.

That little Practika is nice. Ultimately my Trip is the one for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Many Canonets dont work today, complicated and cheaply made. The Rollei 35B is a great camera, I've had one since 1973 and bought it second hand then. It doesnt use batteries for the meter - it's a solar cell. I usually get the light reading then keep it the same unless the light changes significantly. A bit like using sunny 16 but with a little help.

Do All of the Rollei 35's have some type of meter? I must admit, they are intriguing little guys. Thinking of grabbing one but not sure. I usually need Aperture Priority.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35B has a selenium meter, the others have a CdS meter reliant on battery - A PX625!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the plutonium battery. Guess I'll opt for the B model if I go that route.