Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Plastic rear Cap v.s. metal rear cap for thread mounts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Plastic rear Cap v.s. metal rear cap for thread mounts Reply with quote

All of the M42 caps in my home are plastic. I have caps from China and caps from Japan. I found the top right one is the best cap I have which screw in the lens mount very easily. I wonder if metal rear cap will be better than the plastic cap in every aspect. The chrome caps look more attractive than the plastic cap but they are much more expensive. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin,

Not sure about the metal rear caps ... For sure, they will look better, but i'm not sure about the micro-particles of poor-quality metal falling in the lens (i still cannot forget all the chrome specks that felt in my camera and lens from a low-quality adapter ring) ...

Maybe, if they were in high-grade aluminum, they could be nice for some lenses coming without a rear cap. But, as long as possible, i prefer my original Steinheil, Fuji and Takumar caps Wink ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hi Calvin,

Not sure about the metal rear caps ... For sure, they will look better, but i'm not sure about the micro-particles of poor-quality metal falling in the lens (i still cannot forget all the chrome specks that felt in my camera and lens from a low-quality adapter ring) ...

Maybe, if they were in high-grade aluminum, they could be nice for some lenses coming without a rear cap. But, as long as possible, i prefer my original Steinheil, Fuji and Takumar caps Wink ...

I will see if there are high quality caps from the shops next monday. I think a zebra rear cap will be the best for the zebra lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, nothing comes close to the quality of the Takumar caps. These screw on easily. The Chinese copies are not nearly as good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
For me, nothing comes close to the quality of the Takumar caps. These screw on easily. The Chinese copies are not nearly as good.

I think so. The two Chinese rear cap in the buttom is not as good as the Japanese rear cap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic rear Cap v.s. metal rear cap for thread mounts Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I found the top right one is the best cap I have which screw in the lens mount very easily.

I have that same one Smile It probably came with one of my dad's late-1970s Vivitar lenses...pretty sure it came with the 28/2.5 (preset, non-T mount). Buy Vivitar lenses and a box of cheap rear caps...resell the lenses, keep the caps Laughing

It is very good indeed...nice and deep, too Cool