Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pinkham & Smith-- how it was done
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Pinkham & Smith-- how it was done Reply with quote

Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality 75mm f/3 lens.

Digital Post-processing for this image, How it was done, on my blog:
http://thenewpictorialism.blogspot.com/

Take a look!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The result looks nice, although reaching it this way would contradict my personal "puristic" approach.

[The title is misleading, I was expecting to read about the making of a SF lens... Wink]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer the original image without post-processing
it has a fantastic subtle tone gradient on the stairs (both light and colours), provided by the lens, that gets completely lost with the edits.
The only thing I would do is to crop out the lamps on the top (as you did) or, even better, clone their bottom part out while leaving some of the windows in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in post-processing, the most important thing, is to stop in time. Therefore, imho, the second image(postprocessed) with minimal touches (composition and contrast correction) is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that image has been ruined with all the PP, it looks way too synthetic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like both the original and the final image. Both could have their use. I can see the processed image as a book-cover for instance. Thanks, i found it very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the image at the top of the page here, I didn't like it very much because my immediate thought was - "the light is bent". It looks as though the light streaming down the steps then bends towards the girl, and the rays accentuate that.
When I saw the original with the windows included, the light made sense.

I like the processing, it looks very good, but I think it needs the light source including.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first is a very moody photograph, and the later is a very nice drawing. I'm more into the philosophy that Photoshop tricks should be used but not perceived, which is also the reason I like the original more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of old "pictorial" shots were just as heavily processed in the darkroom.
Modern PP is just new tools for an old requirement.

Its a matter of taste and intention.

In this case I think it works very well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not shure which one i like most - for shure the lamps in the original shot were disturbing, agree with Orio, that the windows might have added something positive. What i do not see, is the reason for the strong vignetting in the final picture - it partially takes out the magic atmosphere of the original
i think it depends on medium and size which one works better, tending towards the original.....
nevertheless, thanks for explaining how you did it - its an extraordinary work