Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax takes control of Pentax/Ricoh cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Pentax takes control of Pentax/Ricoh cameras Reply with quote

Quote:
Ricoh has announced that its Pentax Ricoh Imaging (PRI) business unit will take full control of the design, development and sales of the company's cameras, worldwide. PRI was created when Ricoh bought Pentax and is the business that has been responsible for the design, manufacturing and sales of Pentax cameras. It will now absorb the consumer businesses of Ricoh's Personal Multimedia Product Company, which was responsible for the design, manufacture and sale of Ricoh cameras. The change will take effect from April 1st 2012.

More: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/09/Ricohs_Pentax_division_absorbs_Ricoh_cameras

So essentially this means that Pentax gets a "big bag of money" and a lot more leeway to design new cameras and lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The change will take effect from April 1st 2012

another april joke ? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Quote:
The change will take effect from April 1st 2012

another april joke ? Laughing

In Europe maybe, but in Japan (and Asia in general) it usually is the start of the new fiscal year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Tokina bought over Pentax at one point? Or, have I mixed up my facts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Didn't Tokina bought over Pentax at one point? Or, have I mixed up my facts?

That was Hoya, the famous glassmaker. Unfortunately they only did the absolute minimum to keep the brand alive. Hoya sold Pentax to Ricoh and now the news is flooding the forums...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good news for Pentax! Sure hope for some more surprises!
But even though I also hope that the great lines of Ricoh GRD cameras and the GXR with their own, typical characteristics will be continued and that there will be an updated GXR.